What's new
What's new

Help to identify! An unusual antique early metal bristle brush hand tool?

Romak

Aluminum
Dear engineers and enthusiasts.

I have this interesting mechanical tool that looks like an unusual early metal bristles brush hand-operated polishing or cleaning tool. But polish or clean what? Would you be able to figure out its purpose? It is not a big tool. The base is about 7" by 6". The brush wheel diameter is about 5". I have never seen such an example before. It comes in a wooden case. There are no marks or numbers on the tool or a case. What is also unusual is the materials this tool is made of. It has brass parts and back in the days, such alloy was quite expensive for just a cleaning tool. It has to be something more sophisticated if they made a disk out of brass, I think. Any ideas accepted! Thank you!

1.jpg
2.jpg

I'm sure it's not a cleaning device, I doubt someone would put such effort into designing and building something so constrained (what could it clean?).

My quick guess is that it's a static generator, and that the bristles aren't metal, but from a boar or similar animal bristle.

And for substantiation, check this source out (believe it or not, a homemaker's tips website):

"Calm the “boar bristle brush static” – Because a boar bristle brush separates each hair strand to naturally condition it with sebum, you’ll notice that your hair “poofs” or becomes static-y during brushing."

6 Boar Bristle Brush Benefits + How to Use a Boar Brush [about 2/5 the way down]

I certainly could be wrong, maybe some of the "older-timers" can chime in.

I thought static machine too for a minute but I don't think metal on metal would make static electricity and there are no wire terminals to conduct the electricity. Maybe for ornamental swirl marks in something.

1st gen CD doctor? Lol kidding. I feel like there’s more to it that’s no longer around, how would it hold whatever it was to brush? Does the “ribs” on the brass disk show wear from the bristles running against it? If not then I agree it held something in between.

Yes, I thought about it too!

1st gen CD doctor? Lol kidding. I feel like there’s more to it that’s no longer around, how would it hold whatever it was to brush? Does the “ribs” on the brass disk show wear from the bristles running against it? If not then I agree it held something in between.

Yes, I thought about it too! I actually have an early 80s CD cleaner with mechanical gears inside, but this contraption is something different. Even a CD will fit the size of a metal circle :) I will see in couple weeks if there are any marks on the brass plate that is against the bristles.

Yes. Agree. There are no terminals at all. At least I do not see them. The bristles are actually flattened pieces of metal, so they are not bristles like hair.

Great point about the ribs on the disk! That might be the best clue! I just do not think when this machine was made there were any turntables, so the ribs had to match the other type of a disk. But what type? I might take this machine apart to take a photo of the ribs on the disk.

Yes more photos would be great.

I seen a similar machine used to polish small cymbals (chimes) and I’m kinda leaning towards that. And those old cymbal finishers/polishers had flat metal bristles too!

pic 1, what does the little latch that looks like it contacts side with bristles do?

If there was more space between bristles and plate I would say golf ball cleaner.

Looks like the latch holds the bristle plate back against the gravity pushing the silver handle down. that handle is attached to a “yoke” that appears to allow the Brush to spin as well as the crank handle drivin ribbed plate.

I kinda agree with Illinoyance actually, this would function like like a clutch with the pivoting arm acting like the clutch lever, the shaft on the brush side is very proud and makes me think there may have been a handle on that side as well.

What I don’t understand is if it was a teaching aid why would they design it to where it needed a latch to hold the brush back against gravity instead of a spring, seems like that would cause some confusion on the actual function of a clutch

It does look like a clutch, but why wire bristles?

Looks like the latch holds the bristle plate back against the gravity pushing the silver handle down. that handle is attached to a “yoke” that appears to allow the Brush to spin as well as the crank handle drivin ribbed plate.

I kinda agree with Illinoyance actually, this would function like like a clutch with the pivoting arm acting like the clutch lever, the shaft on the brush side is very proud and makes me think there may have been a handle on that side as well.

What I don’t understand is if it was a teaching aid why would they design it to where it needed a latch to hold the brush back against gravity instead of a spring, seems like that would cause some confusion on the actual function of a clutch

It does look like a clutch, but why wire bristles? And it is too small for being a teaching model to demonstrate to the entire classroom. It is only 7" by 6" at the base.

This is a very interesting guess. It is probably too small for cymbals, but for little chimes used in musical boxes, it might work. The only thing I believe wire bristles will be too harsh with a soft alloy of brass surface and do more scratching than polishing. Unless the scratches meant to be mad on purpose.

This is a very interesting guess. It is probably too small for cymbals, but for little chimes used in musical boxes, it might work. The only thing I believe wire bristles will be too harsh with a soft alloy of brass surface and do more scratching than polishing. Unless the scratches meant to be mad on purpose.

From my understanding on chimes and cymbals is the rough finish and uneven hardening is what gives them their own unique sound and such. I think they call them tone grooves and I feel like the steel bristles would definitely leave grooves.

Give us pictures until it hurts! Close up on the latch, close up on the “clutch” lever (not the hand crank)

And check the shaft end on the brush side for witness marks from a set screw or clamp.

Last but not least, see if it looks like their is “shadows” on the ribbed brass plate from objects placed in the machine during use OR if the ribbed plate is clean/free of wear from the brush.

We must keep in mind that what ever purpose that was built for could entirely be obsolete (like the aforementioned cymbal finisher)

What’s gonna be real hard to figure out is if it’s some vintage voodoo Contraption ment to catch evil spirits or bad juju, how the hell would we figure that out!?

Imagine aliens 10,000 years from now finding a Fossilized dream catcher, trying to determine what major sport we humans used these for!

Back