What's new
What's new

help identifying a mill

What makes you say that it's a K&T? It doesn't strike me as being a K&T mill. The motor access door is on the back of the machine and the overarm is not a K&T design. AFAIK they only used a dovetail way overarm on their Ram Head models, which that is not. The only thing that resembles a K&T is the vertical head.

That's a Cincinnati universal (because of the swivel table) horizontal with a vertical head attachment. Hard to tell which size but it looks to be at least a #3 or #4, maybe a #5.

Last edited:
Cincinnati-ish clone. Real Cinc have it plainly cast into column

May be the one Drilco had in the seventies - up on West Hardy Street road

I am very likely to misremember, but theirs was like Hitachi Sieke

I appreciate it guys. Its on a local CL listing, with no name given. I really have no business buying more machines right now, lol, but for the price, being universal and vertical attachment. . . Well if a k & t, i might take a shot. A Cincinnati and I'd definitely be on it, but i didn't think it was a cinci.

With current events, prices, and more machine availability lately. . . Its dangerous for those who like machines :D.

There's a really nice looking pacemaker lathe locally too. I highly covet it. I need to quit browsing :D.

Its defiantly not a K&T. It looks Cincinnati to me but anything Cincinnati should have the name across the overarm. Maybe a Cincinnati clone or knockoff?

Edit: Maybe this is a Taiwanese copy of a Cincinnati?

Last edited:
The green(?) one on CL is old enough to NOT have the hard ways (the Pacemaker came out in 1935)

Yes, the green one ! I've been mentally shuffling my shop and finances thinking of that one. Tell me more bad news, it has Machine Aids, the gears are all blown up. . . This way I can stay focused on current projects. :D

It sure is pretty. . . I have no real justification, but have been thinking of upgrading maybe one of two 16" South Bends for a gear head like that, a Monarch, L & S or something. Timing wise, it would be better if i wait a month or two, to finish the current machine im doing. Just hate missing a good opportunity.

Pubs related - thanks to Greg Menke for hosting these

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/atw/atw-pacemaker-bulletin-15-1940.pdf

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/atw/atw-pacemaker-bulletin-17-1940.pdf

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/atw/atw-pacemaker-parts-bulletin-20-1966.pdf

Have fun

Yes, the green one ! I've been mentally shuffling my shop and finances thinking of that one. Tell me more bad news, it has Machine Aids, the gears are all blown up. . . This way I can stay focused on current projects. :D

It sure is pretty. . . I have no real justification, but have been thinking of upgrading maybe one of two 16" South Bends for a gear head like that, a Monarch, L & S or something. Timing wise, it would be better if i wait a month or two, to finish the current machine im doing. Just hate missing a good opportunity.

What makes you say that it's a K&T? It doesn't strike me as being a K&T mill. The motor access door is on the back of the machine and the overarm is not a K&T design. AFAIK they only used a dovetail way overarm on their Ram Head models, which that is not. The only thing that resembles a K&T is the vertical head.

It's an odd one for sure. But it shares a lot of similarities with our Kearney Trecker 205 C-12 universal and the S205 uses a dove tail.
That's the only reason I said to check out K&T

was thinking the mill might have been made in Europe so I tried an image search
While not European this one looks close.
Universal Milling machine made in europe - Google Search
While not European this one looks close or a newer good imitation
Heavy Duty Universal Milling Machine X6140 China Horizontal Milling Machine - China Horizontal Milling Machine, China Milling Machine
Jim

That's a the Russian " Stanko mill " Jim. The dial type feed selector low down on the knee is a clue. As is the locking lever for the spindle speed change on the left hand side of the column. That's a unique feature I've only ever seen on the " Stanko mill ".

Maybe the Chinese are copying the design.

Regarding the original machine in question a photo of the left hand side of the machine would be helpful.

Regards Tyrone.

That's a the Russian " Stanko mill " Jim. The dial type feed selector low down on the knee is a clue. As is the locking lever for the spindle speed change on the left hand side of the column. That's a unique feature I've only ever seen on the " Stanko mill ".

Maybe the Chinese are copying the design.

Regards Tyrone.

Thankyou Tyrone :) ........I knew I'd seen it somewhere but couldn't place it, .........only to make matters worse I've used a Stanko just like that (though possibly larger)

I blame my age !

Tyrone,
I had been thinking it may have been a Tos or a Stanko but the search pictures that turned up didn’t match or quite look like any models I had seen before.
The two rotary switches near the base on the right side of the machine look similar to the Klockner Moler ones on my Tos machines were on thing that made me think European or from one of the former Eastern Block countries
There was a similar Stanko machine near me from about 1980 but I think it may have been moved on to make room for a C.N.C. machine in recent years .
If I remember it had a power overarm type vertical spindle.
It has been some time since I last saw it.
Jim

Back