What's new
What's new

help identifying old bandsaw

true temper

Stainless
Any one have an idea who originally made this saw?
I am sure the sheet metal is not original. Has original Babbitt bearings. Bought it at the auction Saturday.
23b084c730d17414c7248293b9b5f1ed.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check out the drive someone made to slow it down.
Old flywheel from car and starter Drive.
It runs surprisingly smooth.
a4e628421bd01ebb23dc522f6aad989b.jpg

I have a fair amount of experience with 36 inch band saws, having used one in the 1960's (and I was later given that saw by my father) and I now own about 8 of them.

I might guess Crescent for the one photographed, but I can't tell from what I see (and I've never owned a Crescent).

I write because of that ingenious speed reduction set up this saw has--that, I've never seen, and it looks so well thought through and clean. Thanks for showing it and good luck with it.

Looks like a crescent a former boss has. Shame yours doesn't have the awesome cast wheel covers.

A little bit Egan like

The tracking wheel, the babbitt holder, the frame shape and interior table look a bit Egan like. This is a 32" also. The table on this Egan is a very nicely done corrugation.

Attachments

• DSCN8385.jpg
    DSCN8385.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN8386.jpg
    DSCN8386.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 93
Took some doing to get the gear drive mounted and aligned within a few thou. Kudos to who done it.

I always enjoy looking at something and figuring out just-how-they-did-it, and I think I understand how they did this...

Measure the hole locations on the flywheel... convert to radius...
Measure from center of shaft on machine, to some point out in the metalwork where one could drill a hole.
Insert scraper, and rotate lower wheel. (use the metalwork and hole as a trammel for radius...)
Carefully mark and drill the spokes for bolts.... then bolt flywheel.

Generally locate platform for pinion shaft, and use shims to get the proper mesh.

Cool. Made the lower wheel weaker, but obviously it ain't been broken yet...

I used a truck flywheel and several gear reducers with a stepper motor to make a powered rotary indexing table... same general method... but I'll bet that saw has gotten more use!

It is a Crescent. Potentially it could be badged from Silver, but it came from the Crescent shops in Leetonia nonetheless.

If you take the lower wheel off and the inside part of the guard all will be illuminated.

And I would concur with the others someone did a nice job with the speed reduction and with the guards also, neither of which are from the factory.

Dick

Back