What's new
What's new

Help Identifying old Lathe

Geise6738

Plastic
Hello-
This is my first post on this forum. I recently got an old lathe from a family friend. I cannot find any identifying marks on it and would like to know who it was made by and when if possible.
This is also my first lathe, my experience with them is very limited but I have toyed with smaller ones in the past. Any input on how it works (different levers and knobs) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.Lathe2.jpgLathe1.jpg

I can't help with identifying but you really need to take some "more better" pics. There is a sticky above with tips on how. I really love the vintage motor providing motion to your new tool!

First good photo needed is of the bronze "tag" on the head stock near the chuck. What does it say at the bottom or top? - if you are lucky, the makers name

I see GK put their name right in the middle of their tag!

00b0b_jun9IGdNfxh_600x450.jpg

Agreed, better pics needed. As for operation your questions can mostly be answered by reading "How to Run a Lathe", it is specific to South Bend's, but they are almost all about the same, pretty sure you can download a copy for free.

Thanks guys for the reply. I will look into reading the book mentioned. It sounds like great place to start. Attached are a couple more pictures I took including the bronze tag.

Lathe 3.jpgLathe 4.jpgLathe 6.jpgLathe 7.jpg

Thanks again

I don't know for sure what make your lathe is but the Hamilton from 1906 in this link looks similar but is likely newer since it doesn't have the rise and fall tool rest.
Machinery : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
You can see a description of the operation of a lathe quite similar to yours in this link .
International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons Engaged in the ... : International Textbook Company : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
Scroll back a few pages to the start of the article and then it continues on for a few more more pages past the link.
Rise and Fall Tool Rest shown here,
International Library of Technology: A Series of Textbooks for Persons Engaged in the ... : International Textbook Company : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
If you use the one page view you may need to enlarge or reduce the page size to fit your screen from page to page at least that's what happens on my screen.
Jim

The number "50" stenciled on the lathe indicates to me it once did time in fairly large production environment. The number would have corresponded with a listing of of the company's capital assets. A more modern practice was (is) attaching a numbered brass asset tag to the machine.

Tom B.

Back