What's new
What's new

Help identifying old Pollard Corona

Sailortoo

Plastic
Hello everybody,

I m new on this forum.
I got for a good price an old bench drill from Pollard Corona.
It s quite heavy (I would say appr 150 kg) and I d like to know if anybody had seen such a Pollard Corona drill as I cant find anything about that model on line. Is it very old? is it a good quality drill which would not be a waste of time refurbishing?
I added 2 pictures in order to help identifying the machine.
Couldn't find any model number on the casting.
Thanks a lot for you help.

Jeremy

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-14-16-32-35-174_be.tweedehands.m.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-10-14-16-32-35-174_be.tweedehands.m.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_20181023_142006.jpg
    IMG_20181023_142006.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 742
Jeremy:

Welcome to our forum from the USA. The drill press you have is quite an interesting machine. It appears to be a "real machine tool" rather than a light-duty round column drill press. In answer to your question: if no major parts such as gears or castings are broken or missing, the drill is something to be restored for use.

Without knowing anything about the drill you have, I wonder if it were built as a tapping machine, or possibly built to run a boring head. It appears to be quite massively built, and would be heavy enough to run a boring head or perform tapping operations. It may have been built for use as a production machine tool, being setup to do one specific operation in the production of something like pipe-fittings or other parts that needed fairly large diameter holes drilled, bored, reamed, or tapped.

As for origin of the machine, things like whether the threaded parts have metric or English threads will at least tell whether the machine was built in England or in Europe. Measuring dimensions on the machine such as diameters of shafts, length & width of the table, etc- if metric or in inches and regular fractions of inches will also help establish where the machine was made.

My own opinion would be to clean the machine, flush the gearcases with something like kerosene (paraffin) or diesel fuel, check all the parts for things like broken gear teeth or excessive wear, and make any adjustments if nothing broken is found. If I found that same machine tool at a sale for little money, I'd be on it for my own shop.

Jeremy:

On edit: it looks from the photos like the drill column was raised to increase the height of the work it could handle. There appear to be "raiser blocks" between the column and the base plate of the drill. The raiser blocks look to be made from bar stock, so were likely made in the shop where this drill was in use.

The table surface appears undamaged, with only one slight hole in the center. This would mean the drill was used with some sort of production tooling that prevented operators from drilling into the table.

BTW: when I first saw the thread title of "Pollard Corona", I wondered if you were referring to either a typewriter or a cigar.

Pollard Corona drill press

It is quite big for a bench drill as you can see.
I already started sanding the casting in order to see the condition and it is really good.
Still couldn't find anything even in the Corona files I found online.
The machine can run from 170 to 3100 RPM via the belt and the gear.
All teeth are like new.
Really wondering what it was built for.
Also all is imperial.
Thanks for you help

Attachments

• IMG_20181022_214458.jpg
    IMG_20181022_214458.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20181105_183036.jpg
    IMG_20181105_183036.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20190322_185552.jpg
    IMG_20190322_185552.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20190918_092448.jpg
    IMG_20190918_092448.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20190919_121945.jpg
    IMG_20190919_121945.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 171
Hello Jeremy:

I checked Tony Griffoth's site, "Machine Tool Archive". There is quite a bit of information about the Pollard drilling machines. "Corona" is the same of the works where the drilling machines were built. Pollard built a large line of very well engineered and heavily built drilling machines in a wide range of sizes.

The speed range of 170-3100 rpm eliminates my idea that the drill might have been made for running slow-speed tools such as a boring head or tapping. My guess is the drill was built for some sort of production drilling use. The fact that the drill head spindle and table are on a fixed centerline, and the table having no center hole for drills to run through, as well as being tee-slotted, would point to more of a production drill rather than a workshop type of drill.

Chances are the drill was designed for use with work held in a drill jig or other fixture, drilling one hole in a single location on each work-piece. The wide speed range meant the drill could be used for a large range of drills along with reamers and counterbores. The fact the drill column was raised from its original height would point to the drill having been adapted for drilling holes in some job which was taller than the original capacity of the drill. A job held in a drill jig or fixture and being a work-piece that had to be "stood on end" to drill that hole would be reason to add the raiser blocks.

Another idea would be that the drill was being used to run a cylinder hone in work such as air compressor cylinder blocks or motorcycle or smaller engine blocks. This would account for the added height and the raiser blocks. The last shop to have had this drill may well have been the ones who added the raiser blocks for using the drill for taller work such as cylinder honing.

The drill you have did not appear in any of the Corona literature on Tony Griffith's site, but it does not seem like it was built to order for one specific job.
The speed range and type of construction give the drill a fairly wide range of uses. I know it would be nice to know who ordered that drill originally, and what use it was intended for. However, as an old saying goes: "Dead men tell no tales". That drill may be old enough that whoever might have ordered it originally is long dead and the manufacturer is similarly dead. We can form some ideas or theories based on what we can tell from the drill, but the original purchaser and their intended use are likely to be never determined. You have a fine, very well designed and heavily built drill in good condition, and it is capable of a fairly wide range of work. I'd get that drill back together and put to work. As heavily built as it is, it will likely last for the rest of your lifetime !

" Pollard " made a very nice pillar drill. The one in the photo is a new one on me but it has elements of the bigger drills in the design. Every shop I've ever worked in over here had them. Quite a simple but well made machine with an idiot proof design. I like them a lot, in the imaginary shop I have in my head I would always have a " Pollard " pillar drill. They were based in Leicester in the Midlands if my memory serves me well but they went to the wall years ago so spares could be a problem.

Regards Tyrone.

Here is a link to Tony Griffiths' pages on the Pollard Corona drills.

Pollard Corona Drills

The spindle probably has a No. 1 Morse taper. You can get drill bits with 1 MT shanks. You can also get 1 MT adapters that hold one size of drill bit with two opposed flats on the end of the straight shank. Such drill bits and adapters are usually used in production facilities where one size of hole is drilled many times. Most people, for general shop use, would just use a good drill chuck with a 1 MT shank.

Larry

Here is a link to Tony Griffiths' pages on the Pollard Corona drills.

Pollard Corona Drills

The spindle probably has a No. 1 Morse taper. You can get drill bits with 1 MT shanks. You can also get 1 MT adapters that hold one size of drill bit with two opposed flats on the end of the straight shank. Such drill bits and adapters are usually used in production facilities where one size of hole is drilled many times. Most people, for general shop use, would just use a good drill chuck with a 1 MT shank.

Larry

Unfortunately the " Corona " literature on Tony's site doesn't cover the later models that they made in the 1960's and 70's. They were more modern in styling and a bit more sophisticated, extra speeds etc. They made a good looking drill that they must have made in the thousands. I suppose they were another British company that didn't keep up with the times and were slow in adapting to the advent of CNC.

Regards Tyrone.

Along with Herbert,they really are superb drills. No give or sponginess whatever.

Yeah, " Herbert " made a good pillar drill also. One shop I work at had dozens of their 3 and 4 spindle gang drills. I think " Herbert " had a balance weight for the spindle retraction. " Pollard " had a clock spring. Could be the other way around.

Having said earlier that " Pollard " were an idiot proof design I saw the aftermath of a really bad accident on one of them. On the more modern drills the on-off-reverse switch lever was at head height and it came through the centre of the fast-slow speed selector lever. Under heavy cuts the on-off switch would occasionally drop out of engagement, especially on older machines.

As a quick fix operators used a rubber band or two to tie the on-off switch lever to the detented fast-slow lever to stop the machine stopping accidentally. These guys were on piece work so time was money and the drills were running all the time.

One guy had used a ball of string to tie one lever to the other. One evening on overtime he was using a 1" drill as a countersink in one of the spindles so he was running pretty slow. At one point he reached across the table for some reason or other and the drill grabbed the sleeve of his boiler suit raveling it up along with the guys arm.

He shouted for help but nobody had a knife at hand to cut the string. The machines were all in a line with no real space to get between them. Plus there were boxes of components stacked in the way. By the time somebody had run down the row of machine and then up the back to throw the isolator the operator was in a bad way. They managed to free him and get him to hospital but it was touch and go wether he lost his arm. As it was he was off work about 9 months and when he returned to work they found him an office job, he never returned to drilling.

Be careful out there. Regards Tyrone.

Hello Sailortoo,

The pollard was the Rolls Royce of drilling machines in their day, Many years ago, My father was on war work, he had a batch of Pollard belt driven drilling machines under his watch, each machine worked by a female operator, They were the pattern of drilling machine which in this case had lasted for many years, A three step cone pulley down on a bracket behind the column on to the end of this shaft was a fast &loose pulley for stopping and starting This three step cone drove up to a matching cone on an adjustable bracket for tension just about level with the highest point of the machine table, From this arrangement was taken a belt at right angles to the top of the drilling spindle housing where it powered the spindle via two step pulley running on a bush arrangement, There was no side pull on the spindle a really , a very smooth six speed machine, Father worked a very large radial at the end of the row, Well he told me the story of one morning one of the girls started up her machine and had forgotten to put on her head protection, and her hair got caught in the belt, By the grace of God, my father was right behind her drilling machine and quick as lightening he hit the belt of the pulley She escaped only with a large clump of her hair missing, plus a severe laceration, My dad ended up with a staved up hand and was off work for a couple of weeks.

Fast forward to your machine I feel by the look of it, it is slightly before the last war in age, I believe it has been made for the light engineering or instrument trade capable of a very high speed Over the last forty odd years in the West of Scotland in the instrument shops etc. it was not uncommon to find really small Pollards set up on a common bedplate whereby one could have say a four spindle configuration , thus one could take a component from one work station to the next spindle & progressively drill multiple different holes without any drill changing.
The smoothness of a Corona had to be seen to be believed , The sensitive feel on a tiny drill was greatly helped by counterweight on the drill handle , The maximum drill size on these little machines was generally 3/16 inch maximum

Some years ago I obtained after some negotiations a nice twin spindle tiny pair of Pollards for a man I left the machines with him, He decided to put a sling around them to lift them up on to a bench He had one place not to wrap the sling around, Guess where dear readers? No doubt you have got it in one He wrapped the slings around the little spindle ends , and bent them up at right angles The death of the two little Pollards-- Idiot!

In one of my dad's workplaces they had a big four cone Pollard vertical back geared drilling machine 2" capacity, as smooth as silk,, I have by me in my workshop a little instrument equivalent of the small Pollards I have alluded to in my posting, A Herbert, another sweet little machine, but not as heavily constructed as a Pollard, It again is a very smooth little machine tool and beautifully constructed.

Hi Jeremy. Incredible...I found the exact same machine last week here in the Netherlands. I saw your post, and had to respond to it. I'm struggling myself with identifying this gorgeous apparatus. Sofar I can't find anything on it unfortunately. I am a restorer of antique bicycles, and what I can tell you for sure that the model appears to be from the late 20s or early 30s because of the nickel plating on screws, bolts and parts. Later in the 30s chrome was used on those items instead of nickel. I could be off but this is the case in the bicycle world. I'm sure it's not much different with vintage machinery. I hope to find more stamps or markings when I'm dismantling the drill, I found one stamp on the corner of the baseplate though. But I'm not sure what it means at this point.
Rodin

The type name 'Corona' sure gave me a sour taste bytheway 😄

Pollard drills are fairly common here in NZ, I have photos of a few I have seen. I reckon every one of them is different!

Here is one with a similar head to the two machines posted above. From memory this was at the auction of an old established engineering firm, Eric Paton Ltd. Poor photos from an auction listing. 6 speeds, 2MT.

2mt 6 speed 01 edit.jpg 2mt 6 speed 02 edit.jpg

At the same auction was another Fredk. Pollard, plenty of patina on this one. 9 speeds, 3MT.

Pollard at Eric Paton 03 red.jpg

Pollard drills are fairly common here in NZ, I have photos of a few I have seen. I reckon every one of them is different!

Here is one with a similar head to the two machines posted above. From memory this was at the auction of an old established engineering firm, Eric Paton Ltd. Poor photos from an auction listing. 6 speeds, 2MT.

View attachment 304122 View attachment 304125

At the same auction was another Fredk. Pollard, plenty of patina on this one. 9 speeds, 3MT.

View attachment 304127

They were simple but very well made drills that would last a life time. The later ones were just as good but followed the modern style in being quite " boxy " in design. They were still a great drill though.

Regards Tyrone.

Back