What's new
What's new

Help Identifying Vintage Socket Set

hosspapa

Plastic
I came across this nice little set of sockets ---- but haven't been able to identify. No mfg marks on metal case or individual tools (that I can see). Every socket has the size inside a circle with the words PAT PEND. I have attached pictures. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_1839.jpgIMG_1841.jpgIMG_1838.jpg

Thanks. I spent a good deal of time on Alloy Artifacts (my normal source for this type of thing) -- without any luck. I also posted on Garage Journal today to see if they had any ideas.

Thanks Limy Sami. While I live in Oregon USA, my family is from Norfolk (not far from Diss) so I always am happy to see a Norfolk connection on the site.

The red packet set has Sears and Roebuck printed on it.
The stuff in the can. No name on ratchet or sockets, but, most sockets have the size stamped and some say Japan and some say MADE IN USA.

Mike

hex drive set.jpg
hex drive sockets.jpg
hex driver.JPG

That looks like the kind of set they used to give out at gas stations after you earned enough "points". My first auto set was very similar to yours although I suspect much newer than that one. My dad got it at a Gulf station and gave it to me when I got my first car.

The smaller hex drive sockets look identical to the small sockets in my set, which came in a larger red steel box along with a 1/2" square drive ratchet wrench and a bunch of sockets. The 1/2" drive set was marked "Fleet". They had a rather dull gray finish but were almost indestructible. On more than one occasion I either used ny feet for extra force or a pipe cheater but the ratchet never broke.

As I recall my set came with a couple of worthless screwdrivers and some other stuff that all eventually got discarded other than the socket sets.

More than likely your ratchet and some of the sockets were made by a USA manufacturer and left unbranded as promotional giveaways by a gas station or hardware chain. That's how it was done in the days before such cheap goods migrated to China. It's possible the Made in Japan ones were bought later as replacements for lost or broken ones.

The red packet set has Sears and Roebuck printed on it.
The stuff in the can. No name on ratchet or sockets, but, most sockets have the size stamped and some say Japan and some say MADE IN USA.

Mike

View attachment 264015
View attachment 264016
View attachment 264017

In your middle picture there is a hex rod with some small sockets on it. It came with a yellow plastic screwdriver handle and they were used as nut drivers. The old man had all of that stuff.
I

Back