Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help with Identity of older mill or shaper Vise

I picked up this vise a few years ago and was told it was a Atlas vise..which it is not after I looked at Atlas vises.
    It seems rather older and I suspect anywhere from 50 to 100 years.
    It was beat up when I got it , so I reground the top and sides to clean it up
    There are no names or casting marks to identify the vise, except for two stamped numbers
    that are hardly visible on the top center of the solid jaw and the same number on the moving jaw
    It had " O. 9 " with the 9 a digit lower than the O.
    The Vise Body is solid and square and is 3-5/8 wide, 6- 3/4" long and 2 inches high
    I made new 3/8" jaws, but when purchased it only had a single 1/4" jaw that looks like it is not original. The Armstrong wrench also looks like an additive.
    The Filister Head screws seem original, although the Allen screws do not fit right on the rigid jaw, but they are pre 1962 Allen Heads . The bearing cap top for the screw bearing was machined with planer marks or shaper marks when viewed.
    It seems similar to a Hardinge except the ways are different and it has no swivel base.
    All comments welcomed
    RichAttachment 292960Attachment 292961Attachment 292962

2. Likes alum100k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like a home/shop built item.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a Burke Machine Tool Co. vise, or one exactly like it, made by Republic Mfg. Co. I have one made by that company that is just like my original Burke milling vise that came with my Burke mill, except my Burke vise has the swivel base. The Burke vises came with or without the swivel bases. Here's my Republic Mfg Co. vise.

republic-vise-3.jpg

republic-vise-4.jpg

republic-vise-2.jpg

Here's my Burke vise.

burke-vise-2.jpg

And a page from their catalog showing the versions of the milling vise.

burke-vises-catalog.jpg

Irby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails republic-vise-3.jpg   republic-vise-4.jpg   republic-vise-2.jpg   burke-vise-2.jpg   burke-vises-catalog.jpg  

5. Likes Paolo_MD, neanderthal mach liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank You Irbyjones ! Big time .
    Appreciate the photos and the brochure
    Sturdy unit and well made.
    I have a question if you have time, can you determine the direction of the shaper/planer marks
    on the top of the acme screw bearing cap. In your photo of the Republic, the lines are parallel to the jaws. On mine, they are parallel to the screw, and there was no "Republic" stamp on this vise only the number stamps as I mentioned .
    Any idea of when the vise was made -Range ?
    I did a quick search just now and see that the vises were made during WW II so they can be pretty old.
    Thank you to the other responders too
    Rich

I tried to blow the double post and was only able to edit the text.
    Rich

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rich,

Great idea on the planer marks! As you noted, on the Republic the lines are parallel to the jaws.
    img_4433.jpg

And on the Burke, the lines are parallel to the screw.
    img_4435.jpg

And here are the stamped numbers on the tops of the jaws. The Republic has "125" on the fixed jaw and I can see a "5" and maybe a "1" on the movable jaw, but the "1" looks different?
    img_4436.jpg

The Burke. A "23" on the fixed jaw and a "3" and maybe part of a "2" on the movable jaw.
    img_4437.jpg

As to the date, the vise came with a very old #4 mill, the serial number was 417 and has "The Burke Machine Tool Co. Conneaut O." cast into the base and it had the old style feed system with a drop down worm drive. I don't know what year range it was built but early. The company moved to Conneaut, Ohio in 1910 and changed names in 1911 to The Burke Machine Tool Co. Someone who knows these machines may be able to date it from this info.
    old-burke-sn-417.jpg

Irby
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails old-burke-sn-417.jpg   img_4433.jpg   img_4435.jpg   img_4436.jpg   img_4437.jpg  

8. Likes Jim Christie, alum100k liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by IrbyJones;35
    Great idea on the planer marks! As you noted, on the Republic the lines are parallel to the jaws.
    [IMG
    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f19/293047d1593559233-help-identity-older-mill-shaper-vise-img_4433.jpg[/IMG]

And on the Burke, the lines are parallel to the screw.

And here are the stamped numbers on the tops of the jaws. The Republic has "125" on the fixed jaw and I can see a "5" and maybe a "1" on the movable jaw, but the "1" looks different?

The Burke. A "23" on the fixed jaw and a "3" and maybe part of a "2" on the movable jaw.

As to the date, the vise came with a very old #4 mill, the serial number was 417 and has "The Burke Machine Tool Co. Conneaut O." cast into the base and it had the old style feed system with a drop down worm drive. I don't know what year range it was built but early. The company moved to Conneaut, Ohio in 1910 and changed names in 1911 to The Burke Machine Tool Co. Someone who knows these machines may be able to date it from this info.

Irby
    Hello. My Burke #4 has a different vise but its serial # is fair close. At top of column is 3-482-42 . I figured it was built in 1942. It doesn't have the "drop down" feed works but the other type.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the differences came about during WWII, it should be notable. My knee is different; having hand wheels for "Y" slide and elevation.