What's new
What's new

Help with older lathe

Larry Kelly

Plastic
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a problem with a lathe that I bought thinking I would be able to use it in my shop for general purpose work. I have been trying to find info on this model but have come up with nothing so far. The lathe works fine but the tool bed feed speed is way too fast for normal use. It's almost like cutting threads instead of a nice clean cut. the drive gear for the feed has been removed to check shaft size but it is a 50 tooth. Shaft size is 20mm. If anyone knows where I can get some info on this lathe or any chance of compatible gears so I can slow down the feed I would be grateful. lathe 1.jpglathe 2.jpg

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a problem with a lathe that I bought thinking I would be able to use it in my shop for general purpose work. I have been trying to find info on this model but have come up with nothing so far. The lathe works fine but the tool bed feed speed is way too fast for normal use. It's almost like cutting threads instead of a nice clean cut. the drive gear for the feed has been removed to check shaft size but it is a 50 tooth. Shaft size is 20mm. If anyone knows where I can get some info on this lathe or any chance of compatible gears so I can slow down the feed I would be grateful. View attachment 322325View attachment 322326

What does the lever (missing the knob) lower left doo ?

And is the apron geared or not? If you are using the half nuts ( which ARE for threading) and should be using the gearing in the apron and its clutch you need to change your ways

Such questions could have been answered with just a teeny bit more effort on writing and photography

Here is what South Bend had to resort to to make their non-geared apron 9C "feed" slow enough -TWO compound gear sets in a row

9c Gearing for Feed.jpg

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a problem with a lathe that I bought thinking I would be able to use it in my shop for general purpose work. I have been trying to find info on this model but have come up with nothing so far. The lathe works fine but the tool bed feed speed is way too fast for normal use. It's almost like cutting threads instead of a nice clean cut. the drive gear for the feed has been removed to check shaft size but it is a 50 tooth. Shaft size is 20mm. If anyone knows where I can get some info on this lathe or any chance of compatible gears so I can slow down the feed I would be grateful. View attachment 322325View attachment 322326

Classes as what many call "Taiwanese generic".

Maker's address is right ON it.

Taiwanese in commerce speak and email in English to a higher standard than most of my nearest neighbours, right here in Northern Virginia.

Search the listings of makers - they come and go, but Taiwan publishes extensive lists on the web - try them first for a manual, if not also gears. And other spares.

If not the OEM, many others used the same third-party suppliers. It will be more about patient detective work than large sums of money.

"Taiwanese generic" lathes are more akin to wheelbarows, lawnmowers, and hand trucks than major investment-grade heavy goods. Commodity items, IOW.

Also sort of consumable/disposable grade? Far more likely to be replaced than rebuilt, IOW.

That IS how you came into possion of it, affordably?

:D

if it is a change gear lathe you might use this calculator to pick a few gears to get a reasonable turning feed rate.
Change Gears for Threading - LittleMachineShop.com

A lead or/and feed screw should pull the carriage so very slow that the lathe might travel at perhaps .005 per revolution of the spindle RPM. Perhaps it may have only one carriage feed screw.

For threading, you might use taps and dies rather than having a full set of gears.
Good to chase down a manual

OT: [What does the lever (missing the knob) lower left do ?]
could be a high /low feed gear(?)
Hand roll the spindle when changing it (any levers).

likly the PM guys could offer more information if they could see more of the machine.

I am seeing spacers on the end gearing, where as compounding the gears possible, like the photo of the SB. Also, there appears to be a shaft with no gear on it.
Could be the end gearing was changed for threading, and not returned back.

Back