What's new
What's new

Help Please... removing a Hendey Cross Slide?

KTapply

Aluminum
Help Please... removing a Hendey Compound Rest

I recently acquired (nearly given) a Hendey 14X30 that was manufactured in 1942-1943 and delivered to the Lindt Air Lab in Tonawanda New York. It’s been well used and left outside here in Colorado for the past couple of years. All in all it’s not in as bad a shape as I expected and I am slowly disassembling and cleaning bit by bit. I am stumped with removing the Compound Rest. I’ve got it freed up so that it is moving stop to stop (Kroil is awesome) I can’t get it to spin 360’ degrees as there is so much crap in the slot and I can’t figure out for the life of me how to take it off. Can any offer a suggestion or two?

Last edited:
Take off nuts on tee bolts and lift it straight up

Like he said.
You might have to loosen the nuts under the compound and then lift the compound up gradually to get enough clearance to remove the nuts.
My Hendey is older than yours and removing and refitting the compound took some back-and-forth fiddling with both t-bolts to ease it off.

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. I’ve removed both nuts and it will not lift off. When I pull it up it comes up slightly the it hits something and it won’t come up any further. It was rusted pretty good so there is a chance that the center post is rusted in the hole I suppose. I havent been willing to really force it as I’ve been unsure of exactly how to do to.

Well...you can always proceed along with taking cross slide and all on top as an assembly off and SEE what the hold up is

Yeah, that’s what I thought too. I’ve removed both nuts and it will not lift off. When I pull it up it comes up slightly the it hits something and it won’t come up any further. It was rusted pretty good so there is a chance that the center post is rusted in the hole I suppose. I havent been willing to really force it as I’ve been unsure of exactly how to do to.

KT apply,

Here's what the compound looks like when lifted off:
DSC00419.jpgDSC00420.jpg

Your 1943 Hendey should not be different from my 1937 14" as far as I know. Center rod is a precise fit so a chip might have created a burr that prevents compound to be lifted off. Sometimes the T-bolts have been replaced by shop-made items that can cause the compound to bind when turning around. Maybe rust is the problem. Soak in anti-rust and try with pry-bars (on non-critical surfaces) or try with brass wedges evenly distributed. Top of crosslide is not too complicated to slide off. That makes it possible to press off the compound since the hole for the centre rod is bored right through the cross slide. Quite sure you will solve the problem (if already not done that) Pls let us know outcome.

Lars

IMG_2275.jpg

Well discovered the issue.. absolutely jam packed full of old rusty chips.... finally got it cleaned out and came straight off....

Thank you everyone for your advice..

Back