Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help selling my Kearney&Trecker

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgDoes anyone know of a site to sell my Kearney&Trecker vertical mill? I tried to post it on this site, but as I read the rules closer, it won't post because it is from a home shop. I just need to post the old girl to get her to a new home for someone that will be able to use it. Thanks.

I bought this 8 or 9 years ago with the intent of learning how to properly use it, that never happened. I've never got my RPC to work so I have never used it. I did, however, remove it from a gentlemans "garage". The family rep had it running for me before disconnecting power. 3 hp 9.3 amp 3ph motor. Bed is in really good shape. Kearney&Trecker Milwaukee No. 1A vertical mill. Please take a look at it for yourself. I will answer any questions I can. I have 30amp 220v single phase next to it if you have a portable phase converter to try it. Tooling I have goes with it. Asking $4000. Let me know if I'm close or stoned on price. More photos available.
    Last edited by waverunner196; 09-14-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by waverunner196 View Post
    Does anyone know of a site to sell my Kearney&Trecker vertical mill? I tried to post it on this site, but as I read the rules closer, it won't post because it is from a home shop. I just need to post the old girl to get her to a new home for someone that will be able to use it. Thanks.
    If your not a machine dealer and it's an antique it may be overlooked for one machine. I don't know.
    Post some pictures
    Thanks for respecting the rules

Post Thanks / Like

Related thread

Help finding a serial number

Entirely okay to post it for sale in this Antique section

4. Likes mllud22 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Attachment 265035Attachment 265035Attachment 265036Attachment 265037Attachment 265038
    I have more photos if anyone is interested. My best guess is it's a 1923 model

Post Thanks / Like

Not the way to post photos (Post #4)

From my old PC, I click on ADVANCED then Manage Attachments and follow thru on uploading from where they are in my computer

Example below. You click on the "thumbnail" below and get a nice good sized image.

There are very likely to be other procedures that apply to more modern "devices" in use
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails atw-triple-bg-1915.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, sir. I will edit my original post.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Living in veritable tool desert I paid $800 for my K&T 2HL in good working order. I think you might be high on your price. It seems the bigger the machine the cheaper they go for as not everyone can house or move the larger machines.

Just my $0.02.

Craig

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The huge drawback for this machine (in terms of selling it) is the spindle taper (maybe looks like a B&S 10) and the top spindle speed. I think they were about 350 rpm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrainstorm View Post
    The huge drawback for this machine (in terms of selling it) is the spindle taper (maybe looks like a B&S 10) and the top spindle speed. I think they were about 350 rpm.
    Great stuff pdf page 27 - and full description further on. This 96 year old may have some improvements over this 1917 catalog

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...a1917-port.pdf

I will suggest the asking price is much more than much later ones are selling for

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree $4k seems very high for that machine unless it has some intangible collector value. Last year i tried to help a local marina owner sell off a shop full of old machinery. He had (maybe still has) a slightly larger cincinnatti vertical mill with the much more common nmtb 50 taper and i suggested he ask around $400-$500. He wanted to ask $900 and as far as i know, got no interest. As was mentioned above, the larger they are the less they command because moving and powering them is a challenge for most hobby guys and few pros want to allocate the space to a machine that went obsolete 80 years ago. This is not a criticism on my part, i have a shop full of these old dinosaurs.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate all the feedback. I really had no idea what to ask. Just threw a number up in the air. Glad I asked before I loaded it on a much bigger site with much less class in telling me I'm off my rocker. I'd really like to learn to use it, I just can't figure my low tech RPC out. I would rather see someone use it rather than sit until I get around to figuring it all out.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by waverunner196 View Post
    I appreciate all the feedback. I really had no idea what to ask. Just threw a number up in the air. Glad I asked before I loaded it on a much bigger site with much less class in telling me I'm off my rocker. I'd really like to learn to use it, I just can't figure my low tech RPC out. I would rather see someone use it rather than sit until I get around to figuring it all out.
    Certainly not my place to say but consider that if the machine is in your shop and you can afford the space, the hardest part is behind you. You may find the challenge of getting it cleaned up and into service really rewarding. The best machine is the one you have...

14. Likes Sachmanram liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the electrical section if you decide to get some help on the RPC

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...rters-and-vfd/