What's new
What's new

Hendey 12" Flagpole Duty Shaper

morestainless

Cast Iron
After visiting 2 previous machine shops about getting my King-way straight edge casting machined, I was sent to this shop. They have some interesting machines on the lawn. The owner told me that some years ago the Army gave him the Hendey 12" shaper. It was in mint condition - flaking still like new. He immediately put it out in the yard. It's job became, holding the flagpole.

They have a very nice, modern operation there. I wss referred to another shop, which sent me to a 4th shop, and so on, and so on... Ha,ha, ha. Scraping hasn't rekindled here yet. I haven"t given up...

Attachments

• 20180626_140223.jpg
    20180626_140223.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 20180626_140239.jpg
    20180626_140239.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 322
  • 20180626_140251.jpg
    20180626_140251.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 346
Cool old machines... it bothers me so much to see things like that. It's a little better than scrapping them, but it's pretty wasteful and a bit offensive of a thing to see if you could put them to use.
I guess the owner is entitled to do whatever they want with them... but unless they were clapped out before retirement, it's barbarism in my book.
For whatever that's worth.

Cool old machines... it bothers me so much to see things like that. It's a little better than scrapping them, but it's pretty wasteful and a bit offensive of a thing to see if you could put them to use.
I guess the owner is entitled to do whatever they want with them... but unless they were clapped out before retirement, it's barbarism in my book.
For whatever that's worth.

At least it's an aluminum-ram machine, which (if I remember correctly) were recalled due to accelerated wear problems. One of Hendey's few missteps over the years.

Andy

Anyone that would put a good condition machine tool outside to rust and call it "art" has shit for brains. That guy would not be doing any work for me, he's too stupid.

Back