What's new
What's new

Hendey 12 " Shaper questions

LTM

Plastic
Last time I was here I posted pictures of a Hendey Shaper I was in the process of purchasing.

Well the Shaper and a 14 x 6 Hendey lathe finally made it to my shop.

I would like to purchase a manual any suggestions ?

In the mean time I'm wiring the machine up soon, can anybody tell me how to determine the correct rotation?

Oil change first what oil and how much ? Any filters, or screens, that need service ?

Thank you in advance,

Walter
shaper.jpg

Correct shaper motor rotation: The input pulley must turn the direction that makes the ram extend out slowly, and retract at a more rapid speed. Is there a directional arrow cast on the pulley? If not, open up the side door and watch the crankpin, on the bull gear, as the input shaft is rotated manually: proper rotation is when the crankpin moves forward during the UPPER HALF of its circular path.

Hoping this helps.

John,

Yes it has an Aluminum ram, thanx for noticing.

Locoguy,

Your help is much appreciated, next pictures will have chips in it.

Walter

LTM:

There isn't an operators's manual available for the Hendey 12 inch High Speed Shaper.
All of the remaining literature consists of a single sheet combining the Operator's Instructions and the Foundation drawings, a pictorial Parts Booklet and original factory
glossy photographs show the machine in primer grey. The specifications and construc-
tional details are illustrated in various catalogs issued by both Hendey and Barber Colman. All of the original drawings have survived, as well as patterns and a limited
number of repair parts. If you will post the serial number, I may be able to give you some
history regarding this shaper.

Hendeyman

The new england model engineering society has a good set of links concering shapers.
I dont recall seeing a specific page for Hendeys, but many of the pages are worth the time to read. Shapers are relitively generic machines and the adjustments are strait forward.
If you unsure of your set up, crank it over by hand and check that nothing crashes.

Shaper Book Page

LTM:

If you will post the serial number, I may be able to give you some
history regarding this shaper.

Hendeyman

Thank you Hendeyman, but you have already helped me with shaper # 1683. It was a year and a half ago, and you are an amazing resource.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/my-new-old-shaper-176182/

However I could use your help with this Hendey Lathe that came form the same shop as my new shaper.

Serial # 21177, I bought it with a collet draw tube and adapter, and collet rack not in the picture.

Thanks to all of you for your input, this is a great site

Walt
hendeylathe.jpg

Walt,

That's a great pair of Hendeys! Congratulation on acquiring the matching lathe. I really like the polished ram of your shaper. I have a 12-Hendey with an aluminum ram, #1641. It's pretty filthy right now, but it runs well. Maybe it's time to spruce it up with a fresh coat of paint and a polished ram too:

Hendey6-2.jpg

Bob :cheers:

Bob,

Your shaper and mine are pretty close in numbers, that's pretty cool, not long ago i didn't know shapers even had Aluminum rams and now I know of 2.

What's that machine in the background ? Nice shop, what do you make in your shop, if you don't mind me askin' ?

I was asking about oil for my machine, well today I wiped off the motor and the tag and on it has the gear case oil specs. and intervals 40 W SAE.... same oil as my old British motorcycles, way cool.

Walt

Bob,

Your shaper and mine are pretty close in numbers, that's pretty cool, not long ago i didn't know shapers even had Aluminum rams and now I know of 2.

What's that machine in the background ? Nice shop, what do you make in your shop, if you don't mind me askin' ?

I was asking about oil for my machine, well today I wiped off the motor and the tag and on it has the gear case oil specs. and intervals 40 W SAE.... same oil as my old British motorcycles, way cool.

Walt

Walt,

Thanks for the compliment. The machine in the background is a Gorton O-16A Unimill, which is about a 2/3-scale Bridgeport. Next to that is a Van Norman No.6 which I just dragged home. It's not opperational yet, but soon. Not pictured are a Sheldon 11x48 lathe and a Wade 8A lathe undergoing rstoration. All on a 'man' side of a two-car garage! Swarf is not permitted to cross the center line, where the wife-unit's car resides:

VNreassembly5-1.jpg

It's funny that you mention motorbikes. I use my shop mostly for repairs, sometimes for bike parts but mostly for fixing the old machine tools themselves. Here's a '67 Harley case with a broken oil pump stud that the Gorton helped remove:

Stuckbolt5-3.jpg

My old '74 Harley doesn't like synthetic oils very much (60-wt 'dino oil keeps the tappet clatter down), but the Hendey seems quite happy with a few gallons of 10W-30 synthetic in the tank. It took a while to get the pressure lube system of the Hendey sorted. There is a felt filter inside the tank, several felt traps in the ram arm, and a couple of small felt filters within the feed lines which supply the ram slides. Once they were all replaced I had to adjust the flow rate down a bit at the supply manifold. Too much oil was being sent to the ram slide and pumping a big mess down the back of the machine.

The main oil filter is inside the column, below and toward the front of the column opening. It's just a cast housing which sandwiches a felt pad. The supply manifold is to the left and up from the opening. It's just a simple series of flow-control screws. If I remember correctly the ram slide filters can be found under the removable ram hold-downs. They are under a threaded brass cap (looks like a carb main jet) and you have to fish them out with a little hook. Running the machine is a lot more fun without a puddle of oil below it, so let me know if I can help.

As far as making stuff, I found this little cast iron air compressor pump housing at the local flea market this summer. It seems just right for a hit-n-miss engine project at the time:

Compressorengine5.jpg

Plans have changed now, so I'm thinking more of a hybrid-Offenhauser-style gear driven DOHC setup:

DOHCcompressordrawing2.jpg

Well, pencil lead and graph paper are probably as far as this will get, but I can dream right? The abrupt change from hit-n-miss came from the conclusion that I would get a better education from the 'Offy goal. What I really want to do is a full-scale DOHC cross-plane (78-ish degree) crank Norton 850 hybrid (no original parts will be harmed!) in a '60's GP styled faired chasis! Titchmarsh-type frame, Brit'green-&-polished alum metalwork, modern suspension and brakes. That would be a real snortin' Norton! I even had a moment of Desmodromic-valve delusions. So, there's a little bedtime dream food for you to chew on :D

Enough of my motobikes, back to your great Hendeys. What are your plans for them? And what kind of Brit bikes do you have?

Bob :cheers:

Last edited:
Bob,

I'm impressed with your plans for that pump housing, and I like the way think about motorcycles.

I have a few Triumphs, mid 60's to early 70's. I also have a small herd of Bultaco's that I ride in the woods on occasion.

My new Hendeys will be running in a back corner of my machine shop. I seem to have collected a few cool old pieces along the way, although the shaper is by far the coolest. Anyway the floor in this end of my shop isn't stable enough for modern CNC's but it is well suited for my small collection of old machines and tools.

I don't make my living working on motorcycles although we do tackle special or very interesting projects on a very limited basis.

Hey thanks for the lube lesson, I'll let you know how it works out, I plan to start the shaper tomorrow. Nice talking to you.

Later

Walt

LTM:

Very little information has remained regarding Hendey lathe #21177, but here is what I
could find. It is a 14 x 6 cone head model, as shown in your picture. It was built on
December 30, 1918 and the original owner was Landers, Frary and Clark, New Britain,
Connecticut. There is no mention of the drawing-in tube, adapter or collets, but these
could have been ordered at a later date. Since this lathe was built in late 1918, it does not contain the improvements designed in 1918, these appeared in machines built in 1919It does have the double walled apron and the spindle is bored 1-3/16 inches, which allows the #3 collets to be used.

Hendeyman

Hendeyman,

Thank you again for the information about my Hendey's.

Both machines being built for New Britain companies makes perfect sense.

I bought the machines from a man whose father moved his machine shop from New Britain to Pequabuck Ct. in 1968. Both machines were still in service when I moved them to my shop in Pequabuck last week.

Walt

Make sure that block in the vertical arm that works the ram is getting plenty of oil.

J.O.
I have been running the shaper on and off the last couple of days, checking inside often and everything seems to be well oiled.

I'm going to change the oil and grease the motor this weekend.

ahall reading the shaper pages reminds me of Trade school, I love it great stuff right there.

Thanks to all of you for the compliments and great information.

Walt

Back