What's new
What's new

hendey 14 x 8 tiebar (new to me) S/N 24178

marka12161

Stainless
Hello Everyone.

Last weekend we brought home a hendey 14 x 8 tiebar lathe S/N 24178. Pics are in a shared album at:

Hendey 14 x 8 Tiebar Lathe - Google Photos

Hopefully this link works. As you can see, the machine is complete. My brother is a professional machinest and he tells me it is in very good condition. I spent a little time cleaning the machined surfaces and oiling everything that moves. The carriage, compound and tailstock all move nicely. The spindle is very very tight. I'll study the archives a bit to see how to free it up but if someone has a handy link to an article i would certainly appreciate it.

I'll send hendeyman a PM to see if he would be kind enough to give me whatever history is available. My plan for this machine is a complete tear down, cleaning, repaint etc. I'm purely a hobbiest (mostly wood work so far) and intend to use the machine. It'll be a couple of months before i can begin the tear down because i owe the supreme commander some kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts.

I'll thank you all in advance for the opportunities to pick your collective brains.

Mark

Probably the "last gasp" and acme of countershaft driven high precision toolroom type lathes - in an "engine lathe" size. A VERY useful tool.

Hendey took up the mantle from Pratt & Whitney who took up the mantle from Putnam. Each one improving the quality and precision and usefulness of their product.

This would be the lathe that those who were forced by their employer to use the new "gear head" lathe would pine for. "Gosh the new gear head just won't cut as smoothly as that old Hendey did."

This being the advantage of belt drive over gear head driven - smoothness of cut.

After this lathe precision was sort of set aside for production. Partly driven by WWII and partly driven by economics. This lathe capable of precision BEYOND what the marketplace of machined goods would support.

If all were sundered in Nuclear Holocaust and I were forced to look for a lathe to put in my 1840s water powered expedient mill, and knew all that I build beyond depends on my choice, THIS is the lathe I would look for first in the wreckage of our civilization.

And you will have the pleasure to turn it over to your children and grandchildren when you're done.

Joe in NH

Thank you all or the input and feedback. After researching the forum, i see that stuck spindle is a common problem with these machines. Mine may be in better shape than some. when i engage the back gear i am able to turn the spindle by hand by grabbing the headstock cones. they spindle turns very hard but it turns. as i think i mentioned, i've got some other projects i need to get to before i can get to the machine in any significant way. in the meantime i'll keep hitting it with penetrating oil to loosen everything up that can be loosened and studying this post.

After researching the forum, i see that stuck spindle is a common problem with these machines. Mine may be in better shape than some. when i engage the back gear i am able to turn the spindle by hand by grabbing the headstock cones. they spindle turns very hard but it turns. as i think i mentioned,

As time allows......

The usual helpful images related to fixing "hendeyitus". Fixing is the key - since it is not an "adjustment" issue.

All parts.jpgFront detail.jpgList.jpgParts together.jpg

This all relates to getting it apart to shim it - which is one way. Member Enginebill is a proponent of just using TIMESAVER compound rather than shimming. This stuff has been used for ages in Babbitt bearing automotive engine work

I still have the machine. I removed the spindle per the guidance of among others John O. I've cleaned it up a bit but have not yet shimmed the spindle or fabricated a drive tower.

Gotcha. Glad to hear it's still around. Hopefully you'll have her running smoothly again someday.

Gotcha. Glad to hear it's still around. Hopefully you'll have her running smoothly again someday.

Actually, i'll likely sell the machine this spring. Shop is full to the gills and i have two other lathes. Someone will get a superb hendey tiebar. I even have the original collet set in the original wooden box.

Back