What's new
What's new

Hendey 14x30 beginning adventure, ser 33803?

Mrmoto9

Plastic
Hello all, and thank you for all the useful posts. I’m about to take delivery of a Hendey 14x30 gear head. Reading through the posts here, the serial number should be on the flats of the ways but while my eyesight isn’t what it used to be, I’ve made a sincere effort and cannot find it there. There is however, a stamping riveted above the motor speed selection plate that reads ”SER 33803”. This machines history is completely unknown, the prior owner bought a building in New York, the machine came with it. It needs a few things, and a thorough inspection. If anyone knows where I can find a dial and handwheel for the compound cross slide please message me. I’ve found one on EBay for a 12” machine but I’m not certain it’s a match to swap in. It’s also missing the cover in front of the monstrous Delco 3ph 5hp motor. Monstrous is unkind, it’s a thing of beauty in its own right. I’m also curious about the spindle taper. In the literature, there were a variety of options, this one is an L , but which L? This machine has me very excited, can you tell? The more I read the more I’m finding how special it is.

Mrmoto9:

Hendey lathe No.33803, a 14x30, 12 Speed, Geared Head model, was one of five identical lathes ordered on April 21, 1942. The Serial
Numbers were: 33680, 33700, 33709, 33721 and 33803. The original owner was the Eclipse Aviation Division, Bendix Aviation Corporation,
no city or state was listed. While this lathe is a standard 12 Speed model, it was shipped with a two speed motor that gave it 24 speeds. The motor specifications were: Frame 324, 5HP, 900/1800RPM, 440Volts, 60Cycles, 3Phase. Clutch Pulley speed was 600/1200RPM. There are still some Patterns, Castings and Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. I will check with a friend of mine about the motor cover and the Compound Rest parts you need.

Hendeyman

..the prior owner bought a building in New York, the machine came with it.

In line with Hendeyman's first-owner history + a bit of Google-fu, note that said firm operated (at least...) out of Teterboro, NJ, so it may have been moved but once.

With 24-speeds built-in at the factory, you need no VFD, only a decent RPC + step-up transformer to preserve / restore all existing controls and both speed ranges.

Thank you, all of you. The step up transformer is a great idea. I’ve been looking for a single phase 5 HP motor, and have found one but maybe going with the rpc and transformer is the way to go. I’ve had both the electronic, and rpc and have had good results with both. Both never used one at 440.

Thank you, all of you. The step up transformer is a great idea. I’ve been looking for a single phase 5 HP motor, and have found one but maybe going with the rpc and transformer is the way to go. I’ve had both the electronic, and rpc and have had good results with both. Both never used one at 440.

There are figures .. and other figures . .as to what "real world" rating a transformer needs to have to be effective for machine-tool loads and an RPC.

One workable rule-of-thumb to insure it isn't too small as to restrict max power or run overly hot is two KVA per load HP. That isn't the same as laboratory physics - the KVA to "motor HP" calculations online come out to only a bit over 5 KVA for a 5HP load motor of typically less-than-perfect efficiency and power factor.

But it WORKS better for easier starting and at sustaining higher loads smoothly to go a bit larger and utilize - for example - a stock 10 or 12 KVA 3-Phase transformer off an RPC with 10 HP idler connected for 440 VAC use.

My one, for up to 7 HP loads - is a Phase-Craft start/run control box + 10 HP Weg idler. OTOH, the transformer is a near-as-dammit 1:1 EGS Delta-in, Wye-out "drive isolation" transformer so I can take the Delta off RPC or Phase-Perfect and derive a new "local" Neutral.

"Wye" is optional. I don't think you have a need for a Neutral, your machine? I'm simply allergic to both floating AND "corner-grounded" Delta.

:)

I also don't need 440, but it does have the advantage of requiring lower-ampacity wire, and running dual-Voltage motors a tad cooler than they run in their 220 V configuration, so "run what you got".

With THIS lathe, you still have the advantage of LOTS of geared-ratio selections, so should not suffer at 7.5 HP idler and 7.5 KVA, and might "get by" even comfortably so with 5 and 5 with an unloaded start.

Transformers don't waste much, but they can briefly look like pretty heavy starting loads, so don't grossly oversize one, either.

NB: IF.. you have no other 3-P loads @ 220/240 VAC? Such as coolant-pump replaced with a 1-P unit (which I do..) then a single-phase transformer on the input side, RPC's idler run @ 440 VAC off its secondary works, too.

As a 2:1 step-up ratio is better-suited to a full-isolation transformer than a boost "autotransformer", used 3-Phase ones may be easiest to source locally at good prices. They tend to be HEAVY, so shipping can be expensive.

Either way - you'll also need (up to..) "600 Volt Class" goods - (wire, disconnects, fuses, CB, and such) - on the 440 VAC side, whereas the input ~ 240 VAC is still within the (up to..) 300 V class.

two KVA per load HP

Acme specified thus on the new 3 KVA General Purpose Dry Type Three Phase I bought in 2003 - for 1.5 HP four speed - flawless zero issue performance for 16 years. This of course a step down used as a step up

On Edit:

These 1195 RPM jobs Hendey was known to fit with Precision Class Angular Contact Ball Bearings on the spindle. The circular housing to left of spindle draw back nut will be stamped "BB" if such is the case.

it was shipped with a two speed motor that gave it 24 speeds.

Last edited:
Acme specified thus on the new 3 KVA General Purpose Dry Type Three Phase I bought in 2003 - for 1.5 HP four speed - flawless zero issue performance for 16 years. This of course a step down used as a step up

Aye. The "physics" say HP X .746 for KVA, ergo 5 HP is only 3.73 KA.

..before one gets into motor efficiency, power-factor, starting loads, response/stability under working load changes in the cut...and other real-world stuff.

As "physics" of another sort were taken orally back in the day only for cases where one was badly constipated?

Far less "stuff" to deal with at a 2:1 ratio!

:)

I'm thinking it would cheaper to get a transformer a and idler to power the 2 speed motor than replace it with a single speed 5HP single phase motor plus having 24 speeds rather than 12 with the single speed motor! I have been able to get cheap 3 phase motors and both 3 phase and single phase Transformers from HGR surplus. It's worth checking inventory plus keep in mind they keep lowering the price if items don't sell and where I get most of my stuff is their Last Chance items and make an even lower offer!

You’re all so gracious, and you offers welcome. The 440 to 220 conversion defies what I know, more accurately, what I think I know about electric motors. A 440 doesn’t need 440?

You’re all so gracious, and you offers welcome. The 440 to 220 conversion defies what I know, more accurately, what I think I know about electric motors. A 440 doesn’t need 440?

Yes, it almost-certainly needs 440.

Complex motor windings are bulky and costly. A single-speed motor with strapping options for either 2XX (a set of identical windings in parallel) or 4xx (SAME set, but in series) is quite common.

As your one was built as a two-speed, a dual-Voltage with 2XX re-termination option is less likely, Not impossible. Just rare.

The nameplate will tell the tale. If it hasn't gone missing.

A rewind - to nearly any Voltage you want - is also costly.

Adding a transformer is the lower-cost approach - especially if salvaged at a decent price, rather than new.

Back