What's new
What's new

Hendey 14x42, New to me

Binder791

Plastic
Just purchased this lathe last weekend, hendey 14x42 number 29560. Have been just cleaning it and trying to work on obvious problems. The motor clutch fork was broken. And the feed clutches were slipping with the slightest pressure. The oil in apron had completely dried up so had to take the oil pump apart and flushed it all with fresh oil. Would like to get any info that might be available. Thankyou everybody in advance

Im getting the photo thing figured out having trouble with photobucket ill post them when I get it fixed

Binder791:

Hendey Lathe No.29560, a 14 x 42, 18 speed, Geared Head model, was completed December 14, 1937. The following information is from the
original Order Form. Information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered: June 2, 1937
Date started: June 9, 1937
Sold to: Frigidaire Division, General Motors Corporation, Dayton, Ohio
Ship to: Above, Plant #1, Dayton, Ohio
Via: Freight
Marks: Deliver to #582 Hood
Sold by: K.F.K.
Description: 14" x 42" - 18 Speed Geared Head Lathe CR (Compound Rest) - To swing 16-1/2"
Oil Pan
Regular equipment (as shown in catalog)
Ball Bearings on main shaft- Multiple splined shafts
Cam Lock type flanged spindle nose
Spindle Speeds - 19 to 1000 R.P.M.
High speed reversing mechanism
Taper attachment
Drawing-in attachment and set of 29 #6 collets from 1/8" to 1" inclusive by 32rds complete with cabinet
Furnish and fit Cushman 15" 4 jaw independent chuck #15214D6
Furnish and fit 15" 3 jaw universal chuck #15236D6
Arranged for vee belt connected motor drive with motor in cabinet leg
Fit motor and starter
Furnish and fit Hendey push button built into gear box
Delco ball bearing motor, 3 HP, 440 volts, 3 phase, 60 cycles, 1200 RPM, model I-1350, frame 254
together with starter K-9998-B-23
Starter will be Delco #1262 non-reversing combination type
Hendey push button will be for non-reversing service
Friction type clutches in apron

There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still in the
files, so parts can be made if required.

Hendeyman

Thankyou for all the information, very interesting. Unfortunately the taper attachment is gone and I didn't get any of the other accessories so. It has had a 7.5 hp motor put in at some point. There is excessive slop in the bevel gear assembly so have to address that . I would be very interested in a copy of the original drawings to have on file. So I would like to know what that would cost

Thankyou for all the information, very interesting. Unfortunately the taper attachment is gone and I didn't get any of the other accessories so. It has had a 7.5 hp motor put in at some point. There is excessive slop in the bevel gear assembly so have to address that . I would be very interested in a copy of the original drawings to have on file. So I would like to know what that would cost

Careful what you wish for. The "drawings" would probably total north of 80 blueprints and take a specialized printing service.

Binder791:

I must concur with the admonition from dundeeshopnut, because the number of drawings for any given lathe will be about 1200 drawings,
in some cases more. Eighty drawings would be a good start on the "big chucks", but if you consider the smaller items, it mounts up very
fast. If you consider just the drawings for the 14 inch lathes produced from 1912 through 1954, you have a total of 6136 drawings. That
does not include any special drawings that apply to Change Orders. If I may suggest, order drawings that only pertain to the parts you
are working on. The cost of a particular drawing is based on the size of the drawing and the amount of time it takes to research the
drawing. The Hendey Drawing Office system is a bit complicated and does not allow for "one stop" shopping. The Serial Number will allow
you to determine the circa of manufacture, but then cross-referencing is required to find the assembly drawing for that part and then
cross-reference for the drawing of that part. All is well if the original drawing is still in the files, but if it has been destroyed
by Barber Colman and replaced by their drawing number, then more cross-referencing is required to find the superseded drawing. The whole
process can be very time consuming. Anyway, give some thought to the type of drawings you will need and let me know.

Hendeyman

Well guess I made my self look like an idiot just didn't give it alot of thought earlier about the amount of prints it could be. Thankyuu for all info thus far. I will look into the machine some more when my day off come up again. I guess to start I would like to get the drawing of the reversing bevel gear assembly. I have a definite problem there. Thankyou all once again. The knowledge this group can provide is amazing

So finally getting back to the lathe. I saw in the info hendeyman sent me that it says ball bearings on the main shaft. Does this indicate that are the bearings on the spindle if not how do you tell what kind of bearing it has on the spindle. Been cleaning and scraping paint n took the oil pumps apart and blew the lines out to make sure everything is clean

Binder791:

As was stated on the original Order Form, your lathe is equipped with Ball Bearings on the spindle. If this information wasn't available
then there is another way to determine the type of bearings in your Headstock. There were three types of bearings used in these lathes: Plain, Ball Bearings and Roller Bearings. If you will scrape the paint off the area around the Headstock casting and the Spindle, you
should find stamped into the casting the letters PB (Plain Bearing), BB (Ball Bearing) or TRB or TB (Timkken Roller Bearing).

Please note that some of the oil lines have felt plugs to help control the oil flow. The use of compressed air to clean these lines
may blow the plugs out and change the oil flow. Sometimes, the use of compressed air can cause more problems than benefits. Cleaning
off surfaces this way may drive fine particles into bushings causing wear problems. I highly recommend its restricted use.

Hendeyman

I appreciate the info. I just wasn't sure how to interpret the sales sheet. I intend on this machine to be my forever lathe. I sold a 1918 21 heavy duty leblond. To make room. I'm just a hobbyist but I pride myself on my machines. I want to bring this lathe back to its former glory

Here's a couple of pics

16085707083327337992010008966023.jpg16085707594607900749621527091618.jpg16085708076631893912068110628338.jpg the handle mount in the quick change gear box is messed up. Guess I'll strip and paint while have it down this far will post mor pics as I go along

Well guys the i appreciate the support I have gotten found that the handle mount for the quick change tumbler had been previously broken and some one tried to weld it. Made a temp repair using Dutchman to lock it in. Hopefully I can get that drawing from hendeyman so I can

Continuing accidentally hit the post button. Like I was saying I would like to get the tumbler drawing and also instructions for removing the spindleand adjusting the bearings. It is ball bearing

Back