What's new
What's new

Hendey 14x6 Info Request

ironwhittler

Plastic
I purchased a Hendey 14x6 (s/n 27385) some time ago, and I would like to learn more about it. Looking at information provided in other posts, I am guessing it was manufactured in the early 20's. The machine is in what I would consider to be very good condition for it's age. In fact, the only issue that I have found to date is a couple of teeth missing from the gear that drives the longitudinal feed. I will include the part number of the gear in a later post, in the event that someone might happen to have a spare.

Thank you in advance for any information.

ironwhittler:

Hendey lathe #27385 was built during mid-January 1929. It is a 14 x 6 - 12 speed Geared Head model that was shipped with a Compound Rest, an Oil Pan, a Taper At-
tachment, a set of #3 Collets and a Countershaft. The original owner was the New
Departure Manufacturing Company, Bristol, Connecticut. Some repair parts and all of
the drawings for this lathe have survived. This lathe may not have the improved re-
versing mechanism that was installed on all 14 inch lathes after lathe #27392.

Note: Both New Departure and Timken supplied the bearings used in the Hendey lathes.

Hendeyman

Thank you both for the information. Most helpful and interesting.

The part number of the gear I am looking for is 14-836 (last digit may be 8). I suspect that finding one is unlikely, but worth a shot, I guess.

The collet hardware and taper attachment are unfortunately M.I.A.

The machine is currently equipped with a large frame 1.5 hp electric motor and flat belt drive, which appears to have been an afterthought, and reasonably well thought out at that. I have always assumed that this machine was originally intended to be run off of a line shaft, as the driven pulley appears to be OE, and the cabinet leg does not appear to have been made to house a motor. The only image of a similar machine I have seen is on the bottom of page 59 of the 1940 manual, illustrating the spiral relieving attachment.

I look forward to putting her back in action. The feed nobs took a little getting used to, but do serve the purpose, and after reading the manual I better understand how to chase/cut threads without a thread chasing dial. Well, I'll see how well I understand when I try it out.

Thanks again for the information.

ironwhittler

ironwhittler:

Hendey part #14-836 is the Rack Gear and Pinion and is located in the apron. This is a
cast iron part, essentially two gears on the same shaft, and is designed to break teeth
if an obstruction is encountered by the apron. I will have to check to see if any of the
castings are still in stock for the 14 inch lathe, in particular, those made in the late 20s
and early 30s. Several design changes occurred between 1887 and 1954, so I will have
to compare the 1920s drawing with any castings that I have. I will let you know what I
find.

From the introduction of the eight speed lathes in 1907, a constant speed drive was
used on Hendey lathes. The input pulley could be for either flat belt or V belt drive. When
a countershaft was used it allowed two speeds to the driven pulley, similar to the ar-
rangement used on the cone heads. Depending on the type of work that you will be doing, a three to five HP motor should be fitted to this lathe.

Hendeyman

hendeyman,

Have you had an opportunity to look into the rack gear #14-836? If there are no castings available but the drawings are handy, perhaps I could trouble you to provide the gear specs in order to validate my measurements.

Thank you.

ironwhittler

ironwittler:

I couldn't find a casting for a 14 inch rack gear and pinion (B14-836). During an inven-
tory taken in 1987, only one casting was shown. This was during the time that Aable
Machine Tool was operating and their policy was to use up existing castings and not
replace them unless they could be sure of a sale within 12 months.

I was able to locate the print and I have made two copies for you (one for your files and
another to use in the shop), these will allow you to make the replacement part. All you
will need is a lathe and a milling machine with a dividing head to get the job done. If
possible, make the rack gear and pinion from cast iron to protect the other gears in the
apron from damage in case of an accident. Please PM me for payment and mailing instructions.

Hendeyman

Just found this thread and couldnt help but notice that I have basically the same lathe. 14x6 gear head...my serial number is 27201, so it looks like my lathe was manufactured just before yours...maybe within a week or two of eachother???

I posted another thread about my lathe, but I dont think Hendeyman saw it. Hopefully he has the records for mine because I would be curious as to the exact date...but even if the records have been lost, I can get a good idea of the date seeing as your serial number 27385 was made in mid-January 1929...

Ben

ironwittler:

I couldn't find a casting for a 14 inch rack gear and pinion (B14-836). During an inven-
tory taken in 1987, only one casting was shown. This was during the time that Aable
Machine Tool was operating and their policy was to use up existing castings and not
replace them unless they could be sure of a sale within 12 months.

I was able to locate the print and I have made two copies for you (one for your files and
another to use in the shop), these will allow you to make the replacement part. All you
will need is a lathe and a milling machine with a dividing head to get the job done. If
possible, make the rack gear and pinion from cast iron to protect the other gears in the
apron from damage in case of an accident. Please PM me for payment and mailing instructions.

Hendeyman

Hendyman could you send me the drawings for this gear as well.

Thanks.

Back