What's new
What's new

Rivett cross slide feed screw replacement.

mookiewilson

Plastic
So in my continuing effort to get my Rivett 918s turret lathe converted to what Rivett called a precision lathe (removing the turret and double tool cross slide and replacing with a tail stock and compound slide rest). I purchased a Rivett compound cross slide. I'm sure it's 80+ years old if it's a day and it has some wear. Both feed screws have a lot of play and when inspected had a lot of wear. I believe that they are square tread. If I make new ones can I cut them using acme thread? Obviously I'd have to do the nuts as well but I've been a little intimidated from what I read about cutting the square thread. Besides my personal ability to sleep at night knowing that this new fangled upstart thread "Acme" will be used on my machine would I notice any difference?
I didn't take pictures of the worn screws but I sure thought this was interesting. The nut for the compound screw I thought odd.

rivettcrossslidetop1.jpg

rivettcrossslidetop2.jpg

Do not know about the 918, but the 608 uses acme.

I made a crosslide screw for mine, was not too bad to do, although the gear had to be cut directly in the screw as well as the rest of the work. Used McMaster supplied "1144" about the same as "stressproof".

mgzTPvf.jpg

hbAfgcH.jpg

I have some New Old Stock Rivett cross slide screws and nuts. Every so often I sell some on eBay. A few weeks ago I rebuilt a friends cross slide, went from over a turn and half of backlash to under .010”.

Email me what sizes you need, there were two diameters and a few different lengths. [email protected]

Back