What's new
What's new

Hendey 16x6

Helibee

Plastic
Good morning. It’s been quite some time since I was on here. I am looking at another Hendey that a surplus supplier has for sale. A gear head 16x6 with serial number 27618. Being that it is at this warehouse, there is no way to see it run, particularly as the motor is 550v. It appears clean for its age (imo) in the pictures and I did not notice damaged ways under the chuck, nor crash marks on the cross carriage. The seller has been amendable to providing more info, and noted the headstock turns freely. What other practical questions can I ask to access its condition without being able to inspect in person, as it’s 470miles away. Thank you!

That SN indicates is an older Hendey late 1927 Vintage. It's worth little more than scrap. Though photos will help. Those older Hendey are good lathes, well made and I consider them one of the best in that vintage. 16" is quite large so moving it 470 miles will be costly. I've seen photos of the lathe and the ways near the chuck look scored.

Being a Brit I've never dealt with them, but having been on PM a while I've seen enough horror stories, ;-

If it's at HGR Surplus (the mileage and your location was a clue for this Brit - along with he help of Google maps ;) ) I'd advise you be very very careful, some PMers have bought from HGR and lived to regret it, a recent Harrison comes to mind!!

If it is at HGR I would advise you visit and thoroughly inspect ( taking someone with you who knows about lathes and that model, if you don't) before making a decision.

YMMV

Real early 12 speed - plain spindle bearing, threaded spindle nose - both these features standard options until early years of WW2

The 16 of those days only went to 382 top spindle speed

Bulletin 1218 from those days (for an 18")

page 1.jpgpage 2.jpgpage 3.jpgpage 4.jpg

Last edited:
I have purchased quite a few machines from HGR. Quite often I get great deals. The Gorton 1-22 mill I mentioned in another thread was purchased from HGR and at this time I have 5+ machines, over 30,000 pounds purchased that I will have to move soon. Actually it's costing me $250/mo. storage. The problem with HGR is they know nothing about machinery! Consider them like a junk yard, they have all kinds of stuff yet know very little as to what it is. Asking them any questions about the machine is a waste of time!! As to the quality of the stuff they have it varies from very good to very bad. Most of the stuff is dumped by companies just to get rid of it. Some stuff is there on consignment so the price is not lowered very much. Other items will get reduced until it's scrap value is reached and if not sold it's scrapped. One good point is that if there is a problem with the machine that will easily refund the purchase price but not the cost to move it. I would suggest making the trip to check the lathe out. I do purchase the items online and pay for it however before moving it I make a trip to inspect the item.

Thanks to you all. Yes, it is at HGR. I didn’t know of their issues. Appreciate the insight. I’ll look closer at the pics. I didn’t see the scoring, but admittedly, didn’t look as hard as I should I guess.

Don't know if you have an account with HGR If not sign-up, it's free with no obligations. When you have an account add the Hendey to your watch list. Then go look at the watch list and click on the picture of the Hendey lathe, photos there are bigger then click on a photo it will zoom then if you put the cursor on the photo it will zoom again. The arrows will let you move from photo to photo. Remember to again put the cursor on the photo to zoom.
Not sure if what I see is score marks or grease.

HGR is not a machine dealer, they are a surplus dealer. Everything is as-is. I have bought several machines from them over the years, but never without a thorough inspection first. A lot of their machinery is well used or damaged.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks Froneck. I did as you suggested and the pics are much easier to decipher. Thanks

I'm not sure about the ways as whether that is damage. I emailed requesting more pics of the area.

Many thanks!

E2A58192-45DA-4688-8A6A-ED80CEDBF7F8.jpg

If may, can someone please point me to a used lathe buyers checklist of sorts? Or more specifically, what to look for on a machine this old and not under power? Thank you.

You might want to consider your lathe skill. That 16" Hendey will swing larger than 16" as most older top lathes made in the USA will. That is quite large for someone that's not experienced will lathe operation. Being an old lathe the spindle speeds are quite low and if your thinking of turning small diameters the speed available are too low. Thought the Hendey in question looks complete and not abused it has been around for a long time! Not sure if the bracket for the Taper attachment is under the motor cover, if not it's not hard to make. The most important part of a Lathe is the ways, if worn it will show up in the work. Yes the bed can be planed and re-scraped but that requires quite a bit of work and great skill. Next is the gearing especially those in the Head Stock in addition to those in the quick change. If I were you I would try to find someone from this forum that lives near HGR that knows machinery to check out the Hendey for you. HGR at one time was open til 1pm on Saturdays but due to the Kung Flu they are open 5 days. For me HGR is a 5 hour drive and why I haven't been there for a while. Also check out the motor, you mentioned it was 5 hundred something volts. You will need a Transformer or a replacement motor but check the Motor RPM, Hendey used 1200rpm (sync. speed which will be 1150ish rpm) Those motors are hard to find and new will cost an arm and leg! Try to get in touch with Hendyman, he's the expert on Hendey lathes.

Thank you. I currently own a ('41-'42?) Hendey cone head and a '50's-era Logan 11". I learned on a 10ee and used a Hardinge HLV extensively. I'm not a machinist or tool maker, but I have experienced good lathes and know the value of the old iron.

I appreciate the intimate knowledge and details. I don't have those facts or personal experience.

Thank you. I currently own a ('41-'42?) Hendey cone head .

Not sure if Hendey continued making the cone head into the '40s. I think the cone heads ended before the constant Velocity time frame in the mid 1900s. (Constant Velocity is the type that had a single flat belt pulley, speed change was now done with gearing)

Cone heads are in the late thirties catalog, and "Constant Velocity" machines first appeared in the early teens with the 8 speed gear head - representing at least a 20 year overlap

Not sure if Hendey continued making the cone head into the '40s. I think the cone heads ended before the constant Velocity time frame in the mid 1900s. (Constant Velocity is the type that had a single flat belt pulley, speed change was now done with gearing)

Choosing between an old and worn cone head and equally old and worn gear head lathe, I know which one I'd choose - every time.

An absolute no - brainer.

Cone heads are in the late thirties catalog, and "Constant Velocity" machines first appeared in the early teens with the 8 speed gear head - representing at least a 20 year overlap

Constant Velocity had to begin earlier than 1910, I had a Bullard VTL that Bullard said was made in 1910, it was constant velocity, gears were in oil. I was surprised it was that old! Had an old B&S mill that also was constant velocity, I traded it in for newer model back when South America was getting the old flat belt machines dumped on them. Dealer told me it was 1908. Hendey Cone head lathes were very popular, just about every machinery auction I went to back in the 1960s and 70s in NJ had at least one tie bar Hendey. I assume they continued making them. I purchase one cheap from a company making CNC lathes, they had a nice gear head Reid Prentice lathe I wanted. They asked me to take the Hendey too. Machinist came and told me he hated to see it go, it ran great and it was in excellent condition. I asked why they are getting rid of it, I was told President of the company told them too get rid of it because every customer they walked thru the plant was surprised to see an old flat belt lathe making parts for new CNC machines.

Back