What's new
What's new

Hendey Apron Sealant and oil wicks

Hartkem

Aluminum
Finishing up the apron reassembly on my 12x30 12 speed gear head lathe. Did Hendey use any type of sealant between the two halves? I currently have it back together with no sealant. Also, I found two rope type oil wicks in the top of the apron that were located inside two copper oil feed tubes and hanging out into the oil bath. I was planning on replacing theses with felt cut to similar size. I also found some small square oil wicks in the oil “sink” leading to the worm screw bearings. Was going to use some thin felt sheet material in these two areas. Getting ready to place an order for some F1 felt strips of varying size but thought I would ask before I did so.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Mike H.

Attachments

• 24B4F891-4BE9-4B7E-9334-6D24AC623205.jpg
    24B4F891-4BE9-4B7E-9334-6D24AC623205.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 75
Pipe cleaners make good wicking, made in various diameters, wire makes it completely self-supporting. Supplying larger demand, run add a few pieces.
Braided cotton clothes line that has a conventional core around copper wire or in tubing.
Even synthetics wick, simple to test. Twist conducts faster, braid holds [and feeds] longer.
Apparently you are back together. The best condition to initiate wicking are to seal [paint] cast surfaces. Engine builders use GE Glyptal [motor winding sealer] machinery doesn't get so hot, gloss Rust-O-Leum adheres to easily cleaned areas, not affected by machine oil. I'd reckon quality enamels are much alike.

Back