What's new
What's new

Webster and bennet 36” side level accurate weight.

pressbrake1

Stainless
Hello has anyone got a accurate weight for the pictures machine.
I need accurate to see if my local friendly hiab truck driver can lift it
Regards pbB6A51B21-7555-4406-A751-3665F4C38569.jpg

Title meant to say side lever, phone changed word
You could describe both the " D " type and the " DH " type machines as " side lever " machines. The " D " type was a mechanical gear change machine with a series of long levers on the operators side. The " DH " type used an hydraulic gear change system which was controlled by two short levers on a console on the operators side.

A photo from the other side would reveal which model is on the photo.

From memory I'd say that a standard 36" W&B weighed about 6 tons or there abouts but I'll go into my loft and see if I can find my old Webby Bennett documents. Depending which version of the 36" that machine is I may have a hand book you can copy.

As far as I'm concerned the 36" DH machines took some beating in terms of reliability and ease of operation. If they've been looked after properly they'll last for ever.

Regards Tyrone.

Hiya matey, just got down from the loft. I've found the operators handbooks for both type of machines but I used to have other books that gave you the salient details regarding their whole ranges of machines. Speed ranges, capacity, footprint, weights etc. I can't find those so the weight is a guess but 6 tons won't be far out. I may have lent them to somebody.

I could be wrong but I think they stopped making the older " D " type with the long levers in the late 1940's so that machine is at least as old as I am !

That's not necessarily a bad thing because the basic design is pretty bullet proof and if it's been looked after it should still be ok.

Things to look for are " fire ups " on the horizontal and vertical ways, the lubrication system relied on the operator more than is good for a machine tool. You need to be sure the drive clutches in the back box and the RPT clutch are OK because the company that used to make them went out of business years ago.

Will you be able to see the machine under power ? You need to be sure the machine speed range suits the work you plan to do. I remember a dealer clapping his hands at buying three machines at an auction for a very low price. Until he realised they were all the special slow speed machines.

Do you want me to send you the handbook ? You can copy it and send it me back please.

Regards Tyrone.

That’s very kind of you for the offer, s machine map always helps
I nearly bought a w&b a year or two back and when I arrived to pick it up after being assured it was a good one the ways were bad and as much as I like junk I’m not a machine philanthropist!
I’ve got some CI pump housings to machine so I’m hoping I’m ok for speed
Thanks

Back