What's new
What's new

Hendey clutch noise

Sheraton2

Aluminum
Hi

My 1940 12 X 30 Hendey has a loud noisy clutch , I have tried adjusting the clutch by unlocking the ring and moving the ring both ways but the noise won't go away . It sounds like something is grabbing or hitting another part like a vibrating effect. Its the multi disc clutch like this one , everything appears unworn, the four rings are like new . I have lubed the drum bearings so the drum spins freely . Don't want to pull off the whole assembly but I may have to. Thanks Mike in Australia

Attachments

• Hendey Clutch Drawing.jpg
    Hendey Clutch Drawing.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 54
noise

Ok I have made some progress. I think the noise is mainly due to how the clutch is designed. When the clutch is engaged the four slip rings are free to wobble and this creates a annoying sound. But When the rings are tight against each other and they are driving the headstock, the noise disappears. Are these rings supposed to be oiled ?

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 61
Sheraton:

The Twin Disc clutch that you and John Oder posted a drawing of is not the model that is in your lathe. The Clutch in the
drawing is an MT4 and the clutch on your lathe appears to be a 4030, 4 inch Model C-C. Later charged to a 4030SC. This
clutch was made especially for Hendey in March 1937 and was in use until 1942, when design changes were made. By the end
of the War, this clutch was considered obsolete.

Regardless of whether it is a 4030 or MT4 clutch it is usually adjusted the same. Pull out the Pin and tighten the Adjust-
ing Ring. With the Adjusting Ring snug and the Pin back in a hole, start the the motor with the clutch disengaged. For this
test you will want to have the Adjusting Ring snug enough so that the chuck just "creep". Loosen the Adjusting Ring one
hole at a time until the "creep" stops. Trying engaging and disengaging the clutch several times and make any adjustments
as needed. Normally, when a Twin Disc clutch is in the disengaged position there should be no play in the discs and hence,
no noise. The 4030 clutch on my lathe has been running 80 years without a major rebuild, just minor adjustments from time
to time. This is a "dry", the only oil required is in the Cone Collar Oil Cup. If this doesn't solve your noise problem,
post again and we will give it another try.

Hendeyman

thank you Hendeyman

I have adjusted the adjusting ring up as you suggested , but after I do that the cone collar won,t go all the way up against the ring , it stops half way and the clutch won't engage. I measured the gap in the four slip ring set and it has about .120" of free space when the collar is not pushing the rings together. Is there any way of adjusting the four rings gap up closer ?

Managed to repair the noisy clutch. I replaced the old New Departure 88505 bearings with new bearings and the clutch now runs very quiet. Next thing is to look at the noisy headstock, I think its the same issue, old worn bearings .

Back