What's new
What's new

Hendey Conehead Lathe 14"x 6' missing serial & parts help wanted Hendeyman or others

Ludvugsen

Plastic
Hendey Conehead Lathe 14"x 6' missing serial & parts help wanted Hendeyman or others

Hi, I got my hands on an old Hendey lathe for a short while ago.

I have been trying to find out where the serial number is, for it is not to be found on the end of the way.

The parts missing is all The the parts associated with the half-nut, the reversing lever and also a pull-knob (several part on the apron).

My thoughts around the late is eventually have it fully refurbished. but for that I need plans, Drawings for the late so I can make the parts and to assist in repairing it. I have found some manuals and patent drawings but it doesn't do any good for the making of parts. Without the serial number it is hard to find out what lathe I have, but as far as I can see of what i have found is that it look similar to a late build around the area of 1921.

The only thing I can say I know of this Lathe is that It's been i possession of Litton Machine Tool Co. Ltd. a UK London based company and it has now ended up in my hands here in Thailand.

I have been told to call out for Hendyman...I am of course grateful for all help I can get from you all

I do not have a picture of the lathe so scroll through this video from youtube to get an overview of it if you like to help me sorting out when it was produced.

The Hendey Lathe Start of Restoration - YouTube

all the best from Ludvigsen

One of my Hendeys ( 1908 # 10xxx ) is just like the video. Open back apron .Feeds 7 times pitch. That cast piece hanging down is the apron stop. Numbers are supposed to be on top of bed ways on near side right end.My bed is not labled 14X6 like yours

Last edited:
One of my Hendeys ( 1908 # 10xxx ) is just like the video. Open back apron .Feeds 7 times pitch. That cast piece hanging down is the apron stop. Numbers are supposed to be on top of bed ways on near side right end.My bed is not labled 14X6 like yours

I think my lathe is from the same time as Yours like say 1904 to about 1910...14. I think the guy who transported the lathe to my home, dismanteled the "stop rod dog" from the apron to make it possible to use forklift to load it on/off his pickup truck without bending the rod. the serial numer is gone if it's supposed to be on the end of the way. The lathes seem to differ in designs, so it might be a customer request....I'm thinking about the labeling. how about your tailstock is it 2 1/2 inch morse taper?

You are missing lever on extreme right of apron that rocks the shaft that works the lead screw reverse system

My old write up on that system starts at post #17 in the linked thread

Hendey lathe "emergency"!

Thanks Johnoder, I have been going through the post Hendey lathe "emergency"! I need to make myself a lever, I couldn't find any patents drawings on the apron I have so I am not sure what else I am missing on the apron except the engangement system for the leadscrew (the halfnut and associated parts). I send a mail to Hendeyman today as to start the conversation for I need blueprints with info on dimensions and so on.

BRG's Knut

Back