What's new
What's new

The Hendey crash.

M.Latham

Aluminum
Guys,

I was getting a new lathe, I needed more between centers and the old Hendey 18 speed was just too short. After looking for the better part of a year, I found the lathe I wanted, a decent Lodge and Shipley powerturn, 1610. On the day it arrived I had the riggers I normally use ready to move it down my long dirt driveway and into the shop.

Everything was going as planned and then the it happened.

So Now I have a lathe that was sold, and going to a good home. And now, after refunding the purchase price and offering to sell the remains as a project machine at a very reduced price. I find myself with a carcass of a machine, and no takers.

So, if anyone needs parts for a 12x30, 18 speed Hendey let me know. The collet draw tube, collets, and related are spoken for.

I am trying to make some of my money back, but I promise the prices will be VERY reasonable, let me know what you might need.

Attachments

• 20181105_091001.jpg
    20181105_091001.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 608
  • 20181105_102524.jpg
    20181105_102524.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 675
  • 20181105_091001_53.jpg
    20181105_091001_53.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 647
Guys,

I was getting a new lathe, I needed more between centers and the old Hendey 18 speed was just too short. After looking for the better part of a year, I found the lathe I wanted, a decent Lodge and Shipley powerturn, 1610. On the day it arrived I had the riggers I normally use ready to move it down my long dirt driveway and into the shop.

Everything was going as planned and then the it happened.

So Now I have a lathe that was sold, and going to a good home. And now, after refunding the purchase price and offering to sell the remains as a project machine at a very reduced price. I find myself with a carcass of a machine, and no takers.

So, if anyone needs parts for a 12x30, 18 speed Hendey let me know. The collet draw tube, collets, and related are spoken for.

I am trying to make some of my money back, but I promise the prices will be VERY reasonable, let me know what you might need.

"Happened" my ass. Was caused. Crossbreed of ignorance, arrogance, and don't-give-a-damn.

Should have waited for riggers to arrive and kept that lazy chicken farmer off the forklift and the Hell away from the L&S until they got there to actually "rig" something, not just shove it around, loose, out of boredom.

Damned lucky both lathes were not trashed. "This is the way we've always done it!" Yup. So it appears. Done it wrong!

The Hendey wasn't air-dropped from more than two feet up, it is probably repairable. It WAS dirt, not concrete, yah?

What spindle does the 12x30 have, does it have the optional retractable cross slide and would you sell the clamping block that locks the tail stock to the ways. Am away from home and don't have my reference material available for the proper Hendey terminology.

Mine was built in 1947 and was originally equipped with the 2 speed motor to give 24 speeds. Unfortunately the motor was long gone and the switch gear was heavily damaged.

T W Hudson

Saddly face planted on concrete, and because the shop would not permit a lift inside, dragged out with chains. I spent a lot of time, effort and energy on that machine. It was my first real lathe.

Yes. Cross slide has the Hendey quick withdraw.

Yes as well on the clamping block.

PM me for price, shipping etc...

What spindle does the 12x30 have, does it have the optional retractable cross slide and would you sell the clamping block that locks the tail stock to the ways. Am away from home and don't have my reference material available for the proper Hendey terminology.

Mine was built in 1947 and was originally equipped with the 2 speed motor to give 24 speeds. Unfortunately the motor was long gone and the switch gear was heavily damaged.

T W Hudson

Yes. Cross slide has the Hendey quick withdraw.

Yes as well on the clamping block.

PM me for price, shipping etc...

Saddly face planted on concrete, and because the shop would not permit a lift inside, dragged out with chains. I spent a lot of time, effort and energy on that machine. It was my first real lathe.

Invest the knowledge, a bit of time and effort with ignorant timber, you can drag the sonovabitch through the Maine woods, raft it, carry on clear to the Hotel Frontenac lobby "with chains" and not spill it. Cannon were moved just about that way in "modern" times, French & Indian wars to Dien Bien Phu and beyond. The Pyramids at Giza were not the first projects to move stones, either.

Not new technology, any of it.

The ancients did that stuff whenever they had need or a mind to, and they did it with the most basic of materials applied with brains and muscle-power, not a starter-button firing up several tons of Brute Force and Bloody Ignorance.

No mercy here. Screw the Old Iron. Folks get maimed and even kilt under that shit, and it is the arrogance of mistakes repeated 'til bad habit sets in more than any other single factor.

Last edited:
The Powerturn is on 6x6 skids, made it in without incident. I can wreck my own stuff for free, so no, I didn't pay anyone to do it.

I am not happy about this either.

Trying to make the best of a bad situation.

The Powerturn is on 6x6 skids, made it in without incident. I can wreck my own stuff for free, so no, I didn't pay anyone to do it.

I am not happy about this either.

Trying to make the best of a bad situation.

Yer all right, then. You must know there are folk who would blame it all on the G-damned Chinese, Tee-rump's fake hair, or those little green froggie-f**kers in the flying saucer with the day-glow chartreuse racing stripes and the purple LED's, yah?

THEIR riggers are Gods, could do no wrong, and their braided armpits don't even stink any worse than their breath!

:)

When you stop bouncing about in a rage (as you have EARNED!), jest git the camera out, and let those who have "Aye's" see what can be salvaged off it all.

I have that size well covered, HBX-360-BC, so I am "out".

I too have a 12x30 18 speed that is missing the quick-withdraw lever and internal parts.

I am interested in those parts if not already spoken for.

petersen

If your lathe was in otherwise good shape before the accident depending on the how much damage was done there maybe someone with a well worn same lathe running in their shop now that could make them selves a good lathe from yours by taking ,handles or cross feed screws that often get wrecked when a lathe falls on its face from the worn one .
I know of a few other lathes that suffered the same fate as yours and with enough time and access to the right parts were made to run again .
I know of one ,non Hendey lathe that fell on its face , got fixed back to very good shape and sold only to be run into by a fork truck in the next owners shop and probably patched up to run again .
If you don’t have to act too fast all may not be lost .
Regards,
Jim

Unfortunately my shop is not big enough for both, so it is actually at the rigging shops warehouse. I was hoping the original buyer would take it on as a project, and offered him the chance for one quarter of the original asking price. He wanted it only if it was free, which I just can't see is fair to me. So I hope it can help other machines go on making chips.

Unfortunately my shop is not big enough for both, so it is actually at the rigging shops warehouse. I was hoping the original buyer would take it on as a project, and offered him the chance for one quarter of the original asking price. He wanted it only if it was free, which I just can't see is fair to me. So I hope it can help other machines go on making chips.

I hope you recoup some losses. That's a bad way to see a friend leave the shop.
The L&S looks well kept.

I've seen a few good lathes go that way in the past. Lathes are really top heavy as you are well aware of now. You're not the first guy to drop a machine and you won't be the last.
I moved machines for a living at one point in my life and I moved a lot. I dropped two - a drill grinder and a combined planer/thicknesser. I got both of them working again but only after a lot of repair work. I came within an ace of having a huge slotter ( vertical shaper ) fall over once, the gods were smiling on me that day.
I can tell from your responses you're still mad as hell about the incident. Put It behind you and concentrate on having fun with the " Lodge & Shipley", that lathe looks to be a beauty.

Regards and best wishes Tyrone.

Id let the man have it,rather than split it up-that's just me,mind. On lathes I always lag a long piece of timber to at least one end-would have prevented that accident.

Back