What's new
What's new

Hendey Follow rest

I have a Hendey 14 x 6 lathe and a follow rest (not Hendey) that I mounted on my lathe. If you decide to build one, the attached pictures may help. They show the rest loosely in place for the picture.
HughFollowRest4.JPGFollowRest3.JPG

I have an
1896 Hendey 14" that came with follow and steady rests. I have assumed they are original Hendey products but would like to confirm if possible. I will try to attach pictures of the follow rest. It has 78-1/2 cast into it. If it is Hendey and any of you would like to make a copy I will be glad to provide more pictures and dimensions. Now to try to ad pictures with the new tablet.
This is not going well I need to mail the pictures to the PC and post again.

LiveSteam:

The 1887-1892 non quick change lathes (M47) and the 1892 Norton Patent quick change lathes (M72) used the same pattern numbers for the
Steady Rest and the Follow Rest. The Steady Rest Base is 72-4, the Top is 72-5 and the Jaws are 72-3. The M78 machine was the center grinder
and I doubt that it had a lathe type Steady Rest.

One thing that most owners of pre1920 Hendey machines should keep in mind, very few patterns have survived before that date. If fact, just after WW2, Hendey notified their sales staff that they would no longer supply repair parts for any non-TieBar lathe. It would appear that many of the early patterns were destoyed by the factory. It is fortunate that the drawings back to 1883 have survived, which allows patterns to be made for these missing parts. I need several accessories for Hendey lathes, shapers and milling machines and this is the method I will be using to make the parts I need.

Hendeyman

Hendeyman:

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I have attached pictures of my rests correctly. Both rests came with my 14" SN 2198 (with Norton quick change)which you previously dated to 1896 for me. The follow rest casting number is actually A78-1/2 and the mounts do line up with the tapped holes on the carriage. The only marking on the steady rest looks like BN or possibly 3M. Would I be safe assuming the follow rest is probably the original Hendey rest and the steady rest is not? It does fit the ways perfectly. Also what do you mean M78 center grinder? Thanks again.

DSCN4264.JPGCopy of DSCN4259.JPGCopy of DSCN4260.JPGCopy of DSCN4261.JPG

Hendeyman:

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I have attached pictures of my rests correctly. Both rests came with my 14" SN 2198 (with Norton quick change)which you previously dated to 1896 for me. The follow rest casting number is actually A78-1/2 and the mounts do line up with the tapped holes on the carriage. The only marking on the steady rest looks like BN or possibly 3M. Would I be safe assuming the follow rest is probably the original Hendey rest and the steady rest is not? It does fit the ways perfectly. Also what do you mean M78 center grinder? Thanks again.

View attachment 52541View attachment 52542View attachment 52543View attachment 52544

This would be nice to know. Did you ever get confirmation?

Back