What's new
What's new

Hendey high speed No 1

Todd77

Plastic
i am new here and know nothing. i havent used a lathe since school in the 90s. I picked up this old Hendey high speed No 1 that i need to get up and running. are parts out there for them. the head tries to lock up after running for about 30 seconds. im assuming i need at least new bearing maybe more. Ill post some pics tomorrow. spent the last 3 hrs just figuring out what i bought.

There’s a fellow here who goes by hendeyman, I’m sure he’ll be around in no time. He has the records for your lathe and can tell you for sure what it is and when it was built.

i saw his and johns pics of their HS 1s and its the only thing i have found that looks like it. the odd thing about this 1 is it has a 6 pos turret on i. i bought it dirt cheap so im good either way

so this would be one of the 3 special orders for later production if it is a hs

and yes it is a belt drive. motor down low on back up to another cone drive then to the spindle cone with another flat belt.

i posted a gallery with pictures. after more reading i see it was produced until the early 40s. so are the bearing available to fix this thing?

i posted a gallery with pictures. after more reading i see it was produced until the early 40s. so are the bearing available to fix this thing?

An arm and two legs and maybe your play pretty....

Have you taken apart the headstock to get the old bearings out? If so, get the bearing numbers and post. Also google the bearing numbers with the bearing manufactures name and see what you find.

Where's your link for your gallery?

waiting on hendeyman. hopefully he has documents for it. dont want to just dig in without know anything.

so are the bearing available to fix this thing?
You know what they say - anything is available for the right price
Here we have an early forties machine that was used at three and four times contemporary speeds with diamond tools. Plain Class 0 precision machine tool bearings are very high priced today - so you can guess that the bearings for a Hendey #1 are more demanding than "regular" engine lathe bearings and their cost will reflect that. And the bearing sellers could care less how cheap you got the machine for

Before ever wondering about replacing them, see how they do with a clean up / look see. If rusty they are junk. Hard grease is another story altogether

hopefully he has documents for it

Product documents in Post #7

Last edited:
Yeah John is right. Generally a new set of bearings will blow your budget.

But this is a 40s machine and if your a hobby or “farm repair” guy then using lower quality bearings may get your machine back into service.

And as stated, grease will generally harden overtime and cause lotsa issues. Inspect and act accordingly

kind of hoping for more detail. but this old stuff you deal with what there is. thanks for posting it. to be honest i didnt see it the first time

The ball bearing spindle larger machines I have seen in my area come from companies like Electric Boat, and the nuclear/military facilities.
The ball bearing spindles create rounder parts with better surface finish then Timken bearing spindles.
The lathe here with the flat belt drive could produce outstanding surface finish, if working correctly.
The Pratt&Whitney model C was available with high speeds and ball bearing spindles, a geared head machine designed for high speeds of the day, was used in the gov, or big defense contractors locally.
The best tip I ever got on ball bearing spindles is, if you have take them apart "clock", or mark all the bearings inner and outer races, so the bearing high marks, or replacement bearings high marks can be returned to the spots where they were, on the spindle shaft, and housing, its only logical, and cant be argued with.

Something or nothing

To remove age old really hard grease - boil in a strong solution of washing soda (sodium carbonate) ..................works by itself so no possible damage fromn scratching / digging and scraping.

well i pulled it down to the bearings. just old grease. ive been spraying it with pb blaster and turning by hand. they are cleaning up to look new. no play that i can fell by hand. ill check for run out when i get it cleaned up good.

Back