Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

need advice now. she sat and spin 2k rpms for 20 mins with no heat or locking. but the chuck is trash. looks like someone free hand drilled it to the adapter. you can see it an 1/8" off from the back. so what chuck should i buy for this machine?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd77 View Post
    need advice now. she sat and spin 2k rpms for 20 mins with no heat or locking. but the chuck is trash. looks like someone free hand drilled it to the adapter. you can see it an 1/8" off from the back. so what chuck should i buy for this machine?
    The chuck should mount to a back plate.
    The chuck body (with back plate removed) should have a circular recess in the back.
    Remove chuck body, install chuck back plate on lathe. Face it true and turn a (slight) circular protrusion to match the chuck body.

This should self center the chuck on the backplate, then clock the chuck body 1/8 of a turn to avoid the old holes. And drill/tap new ones.

The bolts/holes are not what centers the chuck and can be hand drilled without issue.

Is this chuck a 3 jaw or 4 and is it a scroll or independent?

BEWARE, if your chuck body and back plate don’t have any centering protrusion/recess and the bolts are all that’s holding it on then it’s possible for the chuck to slip out of center at high speed and VIBRATE enough to move the lathe/break off and hit/kill you.

Make sure it’s a kosher before getting Complacent

Post Thanks / Like

so what chuck should i buy for this machine?
    Any one that suits size and supposed speeds

The NOT FUN part is any backing plate (the item that mounts the chuck) for THAT lathe will have to be made to suit the spindle nose and its threads.

No such things for sale - unless you got so lucky as to find one off a brother #1 Hendey

You'll notice in the brochure pages that it is a 2" - 8 thread

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i figured it would always be out of balance after them drilling and tapping the back of the chuck. since they drilled it off center too. i guess i could try it. only out my time. its a 3 jaw 12"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Does your chuck have bolts that pass through the front of the chuck face and thread into the back plate?

And there’s 2 kinds of chucks, scroll and independent.

Your 3 jaw is a scroll I’m assuming, all the jaws close at the same time together?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes its a scroll. and it does have the pass thru holes. btw i hate cast. Still not done. Ill do some more tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Todd77:

I spent two hours researching the history of your lathe and adding material that I thought would be of interest. When I went to post
    it, it simply disappeared. A note telling me that I wasn't logged in appeared. I don't think I could have been allowed to post if I
    wasn't logged in. If you happen to find my post, let me know, But I have had enough of fighting computers and I will not attempt to
    repost this material.

Hendeyman

8. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ill look for it. thank you for your effort. Did you have any of the belts left. i would like to replace them when i get it up and running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hendeyman View Post
    I spent two hours researching the history of your lathe and adding material that I thought would be of interest. When I went to post it, it simply disappeared. A note telling me that I wasn't logged in appeared. I don't think I could have been allowed to post if I
    wasn't logged in.
    Hendeyman,

This happened to me a few times over the years. If you take too long to write a post, the page "times out" and when you click "Post", you lose everything.

So...if you have spent a long time on a post, copy everything you have just written before clicking "post", then at least you have a copy if the reply doesn't work. You can then paste your saved reply into a new reply window.

Another method, if you know it is going to take you a while to research and write your post - write it in "Word" and when you have finished, copy and paste it into the PM thread reply.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious, but I had to learn the hard way - start a reply, go away to do some research, lose the lot.

11. Likes Jim Christie, 4GSR, Kjelle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hendeyman View Post
    Todd77:

I spent two hours researching the history of your lathe and adding material that I thought would be of interest. When I went to post
    it, it simply disappeared. A note telling me that I wasn't logged in appeared. I don't think I could have been allowed to post if I
    wasn't logged in. If you happen to find my post, let me know, But I have had enough of fighting computers and I will not attempt to
    repost this material.

Hendeyman
    Did you try the auto-restore button?

The server auto saves what your typing and if this happens (happened to me multiple times) I hit back then the auto restore button.

13. Likes Jim Christie, 4GSR liked this post