What's new
What's new

Hendey Information

PRLD

Plastic
Hi all,

New here. Looking for some info on a Hendey lathe. The side says No.2 x 42 and serial number is 38035H917. I’m not a machinist, doing this for my boss. The lathe fell over being moved and broke a bunch of stuff. Wondering if parts are still available for it. Thanks

PRLD:

Hendey lathe No.38035, a 14x42, No.2 General Purpose lathe, was ordered on September 11, 1951 and was scheduled for
completion during the first week of April 1952. The original owner was the Fafnir Bearing Company, no city or state was
listed. The speed range was 30RPM to 1142RPM. The motor specifications are: Frame 254, 5HP, 1800RPM, 440Volts, 60Cycles,
3PH. Fafnir ordered two other identical lathes at that time, No. 38050 and No. 38060. The No.2 G.P. Lathe was introduced
to the trade at the 1947 Machinery Show. Unlike the the No. 1 G.P., which was discontinued in 1954, the No. 2 G.P. was
produced until Barber Colman stopped manufacturing lathes and shapers in 1962. The No.2 G.P. lathes were available with
two different drive systems, mechanical and electronic, but all of the rest of the parts were interchangeable. When the
No. 1 G.P. was discontinued, the patterns, castings and most repair parts were destroyed, but because the No. 2 G.P.
remained in production, there are still a good selection of patterns, Castings and repair Parts left in inventory. All
of the original drawings and Bills of Material are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. Although, the
Serial Number Books show that at least 85 No. 2E were built, the records show that 102 lathes were built. That would
account for the number of surviving parts. The H917 in the Serial Number indicates that your lathe bed is the 917th
Induction Hardened and Ground lathe bed produced by this process. It would be a big help in ascertaining the amount of
damage if you would post as many pictures as possible.

Hendeyman

Thanks for all the info.
Not sure how to post pictures or I would. It broke the lever below the threads and feed brass plate and to the left of it the lever or dial that was there along with everything behind it to the first shaft which it bent also. Thanks

Back