What's new
What's new

Hendey information wanted

682bear

Aluminum
I am looking at buying a Hendey lathe s/n 21628... looking for any information I can get about it.

It has a 4 jaw chuck on it that is too big for it, but also has a collet drawbar... does this lathe take some type of proprietary collets, or are they a common type?

It is in decent condition with minimal wear, but the drive system will require some attention. I'll be asking questions about that eventually if I acquire the lathe.

Thanks! -Bear

Hendey collets came in several size ranges - from #2 to at least #6

First serial in serial book is for 1920 and is 23959 - so older than that:D

Last edited:
I'm in Georgia as well, a little north of Atlanta in Johns Creek. What year is the lathe? What is the swing? I might have a collet adapter that will fit. I have a 14" swing from around 1898.

It is a 12 inch lathe, made around 1919 is what I was told... it may have the adapter with it... there was a box of parts, tooling, and doodads with it that I didn't have time to go through.

If there is not an adapter, I may contact you if you want to sell yours...

Thanks- Bear

12 and 14 page - if it happens to be cone head - there were also 8 speed gear heads in 1919

Attachments

• 12 and 14.jpg
    12 and 14.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 37
682bear:

Hendey lathe No. 21628, a 12 x 4 Cone Head model, was completed on April 25, 1919 and is considered a 1918 model. The original owner was
the Burroughs Adding Machine Company, Detroit, Michigan. At a later date, it was owned by Synthethic Yarns, Inc., Woonsocket, Rhode Island. No Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts are left in inventory, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, parts can be made if required. Normally, this lathe uses Hendey No.2 Collets.

Hendeyman

Thanks, everyone, I should be bringing the Hendey home this afternoon... I'll post pics if I can figure out how...

-Bear

Fantastic!! That's a really good looking tie bar. Nice transmission and drive adapter. Keep us posted and you get her back to making chips.

Back