What's new
What's new

Hendey Lathe 12 x 6

Hello , I just purchased a Hendey Lathe 12 X6 with a serial number 25218 and I am looking for information concerning this lathe , manual , parts etc. Any and all information is welcome , thank you !

Last edited:
Thank you , I sent you a private message before I realized you responded to the post , I am very new to this site, actually this is my first message board post every. Thanks again for your time.

Michael Sholande:

The Serial Number Card for Hendey lathe #25218 was misfiled at Aable Machine about twenty years ago, so I can't tell you the name of the
original owner. The Serial Number would indicate that it was built during the first week of April 1924 and would represent the 1921-22
design model. The Intermediate Gear on your lathe should be operated by a ball lever instead of the old "push-pull" method. There are
very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files,
so parts can be made if required. If you would post a picture of your lathe, I may be able to provide you with additional information.

Hendeyman

Michael Sholande:

The Serial Number Card for Hendey lathe #25218 was misfiled at Aable Machine about twenty years ago, so I can't tell you the name of the
original owner. The Serial Number would indicate that it was built during the first week of April 1924 and would represent the 1921-22
design model. The Intermediate Gear on your lathe should be operated by a ball lever instead of the old "push-pull" method. There are
very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files,
so parts can be made if required. If you would post a picture of your lathe, I may be able to provide you with additional information.

Hendeyman

Thank you for the information , I will get the photos uploaded asap. Also I am interested in getting all the parts necessary to complete the lathe as it was originally designed.

Hello Hendeyman , I posted a few pictures , I hope this helps. Also is there a way I could get a hold of you to discuss getting parts made.

Nice looking lathe. But, please, remove that key from the chuck and don't let the jaws stick out so much.

For what I could see from your pictures, it looks like rather complete. What parts do you need?

Paolo

I just pulled one from a barn (12x6). It was frozen, but got it freed up. Everything moves now minus the tale stock. I got it freed up and then it stops again . So i remove the tail stock and find the key way chewed up what and where can i get a new key way and some one that is willing to talk to a newby in old lathes . I want to restore and use this amazing machine . Thank you for your time .

some one that is willing to talk to a newby in old lathes

That is what a forum like this does. You ask questions and we see if we can come up with answers

The first thing you might want to do is open the link in Post #2

Michael Sholande:

This is an addendum to my original post (4). Your Serial Number 25218 was assigned to a 16 x 8 Cone Head model, which it
isn't. Hendey Lathe No. 25213, a 12 x 6, Eight Speed model is more like your lathe. Considering a flaw in the casting, a
three could be mistaken for an eight or vise versa.

Hendey Lathe No. 25213, an 12 x 6 Eight Speed model, was shipped with a Taper Attachment and a set of No.2 Collets.
It was equipped with a BMD (Belt Motor Drive) System.
The original owner was the General Electric Company, Schenectady, New York

Hendeyman

Last edited:
Nice looking 8-speed! I've got an 1909 8-speed with a 16" swing that looks very similar. It's been down for awhile while I make some repairs to the saddle and electrical unfortunately.

On mine I use heavy weight way-oil (like Mobile Vactra #4) on the ways, medium weight spindle oil (like Mobile Velocite #10) on the two main spindle bearings, and 68 weight hydraulic oil on everything else.

Not sure what your top speed is, but mine is pretty low so you'll want to adjust your feed rates accordingly and stick to High Speed Steel cutters for most work. Learning to cut with hand ground cutters on slow old lathes is an excellent way to learn proper cutter geometry and positioning.

My lathe originally had a set of #3 collets which were gone when I got it, but I've been piecing the set-up back together. I ended up with some #2 collets by mistake that are available if you need them.

Back