What's new
What's new

Hendey Lathe

skipd1

Cast Iron
I am looking at buying a 12x30 18 speed Hendey lathe. The machine is suppose to be in running order and has a taper attachment and VFD with it. It has a D1-6 spindle. Are there any special concerns that I should have when evaluating this machine? It is a beast and weights about 3000lbs so I don't want to haul it home and wrestle with it if there are some fatal flaws in the design.
I have done some due diligence and found info on Vintage Machinary and read some forum articles. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Skipd1

I know essentially nothing about Hendey lathes except that they were good, but I am always willing to learn more. See, I have owned four different 12 x 36 engine lathes. The first two had 1-1/2-8 threaded spindles. The next had a 2-1/4-8 threaded spindle and my current one has an L00 spindle. With that experience, I am having a hard time visualizing a 12" lathe with a D1-6 spindle. Yes, I saw the 3000 pound figure, but what is the spindle bore?

I know the little Monarch 10EE is a 12 x 20 or 12.5 x 30, but it must weigh something over a ton and only has a D1-3 spindle.

Larry

but what is the spindle bore?

Just big enough for 1.5 stock to go thru on my D1-6" Monarch CW 16 / actual 18.5 swing

Turns out the 12" 18 speed Hendey has the same bore

This is all in accordance with USAS B5.9 Spindle Noses and this pub suggests MT5 for spindle bore taper - which the Monarch has

Last edited:
I don't think you can fit 1.5" through a D1-3, so it must be the 6. The 18 speeds were heavier machines anyway. It's not unreasonable for a 14.5" swing machine by any means. Especially when today you can get 14" machines with D1-8.

Well thanks for all the great comments, there greatly appreciated.
It looks like I am going to get to inspect and possibly purchase the 18 speed 12x30 Hendey I have referred to sometime around the end of this month. I have some experience inspecting machine tools, and will bring the appropriate measuring tools to inspect the lathe's accuracy and condition. I just don't have any particular first hand knowledge of this machine. I know enough to take off the headstock and gear case covers and inspect the gearing and try to determine if the spindle bearings are okay. I just would like some advise from people who are familiar with this particular machine as to any specific areas or items I should be aware of. I do not have the actual serial number, but the current owner said its between 2900-3000. He gave the actual number to Hendeyman but I think this series had some records lost?? Anyway the owner is away from the lathe so he can't give me the actual number.

​​​​​​​Any help is greatly appreciated

skipd1

Hendey SN. 1936 is 29188 to 1939 is 30343 in my SN Book.
I do have an early 1950's 12 X 30 Hendey and it does have D1-6 spindle. I can check thru hole in the spindle but I think it is 1.5"
Hendey is a good lathe only draw back will be how previous owners cared for it. I like Hendey lathes and have 4 of them! Also a P&W and L&S but Hendey is my go to lathe.

My only concern is if the machine is in good condition will it do accurate work on small diameter projects or is it going to be just a beast to carve off material?
I have an old 1930 South Bend Heavy 9 x 48 and that despite its wear can do surprisingly accurate work!

despite its wear can do surprisingly accurate work

That just means its YOU, not the machine. The Hendey may have other or different issues you will quickly learn to accommodate.

As far as it being "accurate" that was a given - when it was much younger - just like all first class machine tools

Such Hendeys were some of the most expensive (for the time) machine tools ever built and sold

skipd1:

I sent you a private message regarding your lathe, that it was built December 1, 1938 and the original owner was the Naval Gun Factory,
Alexandria, Virginia. This might be a good time to make a few addendums or corrections to information that has just been posted.

The Serial Number Book that John Oder post represents the last serial number for a given year, not the first. Also, none of the numbers
listed are for Hendey shapers, only the lathes. Shapers had a different numbering system.

In 1929, Hendey stopped production on four machine tools; The EBM/ECM, 18 speed, introduced in 1922, The Hendey Junior lathe, introduced
in 1922, The eight speed Geared Head, introduced in 1907 and the Milling machines introduced in 1900.

On December 23, 1935, the D1-6 Spindle Nose was introduced and became available on the 12 inch lathes in February 1936. At that time
the 12 inch 12 speed model was available with a standard swing of 12-5/8 inches or as a Raised Swing RS model, which allowed a swing
of 2-1/2 inches greater than the nominal swing.

The new 18 speed model was made available late in 1936, but was not shown on the Price List until April 1, 1937. Until the new Price
Lists were printed, the old February 1, 1936 Price Lists for the 12 speed lathes were used with new prices written in and a new title
also, written in. When the 12 speed was being sold in 1936, it still had the old bore of 1-3/16 inches. By April 1, 1937, the bore had
been increased to 1-1/2 inches to allow the use of No.6 collets on the various 12 inch lathes, the exception being the No.1 High Speed,
which retained the original 12 inch lathe bore of 15/16 inches.

When the new 18 speed was introduced, Hendey added a few extras to off-set the higher price. The Quick Withdrawal to the Cross Slide
and the built-in High Speed reverse to the Leadscrew, both intended as an aid to screw cutting. In April 1937, the 12 inch, 12 speed
sold for $2590.00 and the 12 inch, 18 speed sold for $2990.00. These prices are for a basic 12 x 30 lathe with no accessories. These
prices were in effect when this lathe was sold in December 1938.

Hendeyman

Back