What's new
What's new

Hendey lathe Help

mbruce

Plastic
I just bought an old Hendey Lathe that was sitting in a barn for years. I was looking for something small but the price was right and the lathe seems to be tight and true. It runs smooth and I'm planning on using it in my shop. This is my first lathe and I'm a newbie. I'd like to find a manual, and learn more about it. The serial number is 13592. I'd also like to know what oil I should be using to lube the gears, and any other general maintenance I should be doing. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

I just bought an old Hendey Lathe that was sitting in a barn for years. I was looking for something small but the price was right and the lathe seems to be tight and true.

This is the first sign of the disease. Next you will find a mill for a good price and then there will be the need for more space.
Get some pics. Hendeyman will possibly be along in a while to give more info.
Meanwhile look up John Oder. He has some manuals that can be downloaded.

Here is the "manual" scan - interesting but not a great deal of how-to. Thanks to Greg Menke for hosting it for me:
http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1920-Hendey-manual.pdf

I'd also like to know what oil I should be using to lube the gears, and any other general maintenance I should be doing.

Whatever will stay on the gears will work. There are aerosol open gear lubricants that are very tacky.

The first thing I would want to know if it were mine is how the spindle bearing lube system is doing. The ball handled inspection plugs over the spindle bearings are there to check them daily. Basically, when you look in there with the spindle turning, you need to see the ring on top the journal turning with the spindle and bringing up clean THIN oil from the chamber under the bearing and dumping it on top the journal. A great oil for the oilers that fill these chambers is Exxon Mobil Velocite #10. No, the inspection plugs are not where you put the oil in.

The normal condition of these chambers after nearly 100 years is for them to be full of ancient black goo. If the goo gets thick enough the rings stop turning and no oil is brought up.

DSC_73380527.jpgDSC_73400527.jpgDSC_73470527.jpg
Thanks for the help. This is exactly what I was looking for. I got lucky and there is no ancient black goo, and the rings turn as well. Here's a few pics. It's not pretty but I think it's in pretty good shape.

Nice, but I have never seen one of these before in the flesh. Great brass coat hook on the headstock. Clean her up and have fun. thanks for the three shots.

Nice to see another Hendey gearhead around- we have one at Tuckahoe that I'm putting in service- 14" swing. I'm in the middle of overhauling the clutch which seems to have been modified but its condition is somewhat confusing. If you've any pics of the clutch, or you've been into it, I'd love to chat about it.

Thanks,

Greg

Sorry, I haven't been into the clutch yet. I think I'm getting pretty lucky because everything seems to function fine. I don't know where Tuckahoe is but would like to know more. Hendeyman, I did give the wrong serial number. It is 13952. If you have any information on the history I'd really appreciate learning more about it. I'd like to know what size of motor should be on it. It has a 1 1/2hp now and it is very underpowered. Thanks again for all the help

Our gearhead is a 14", we have a 3hp 3phase on it, driving the machine via flat belt to get the countershaft rpms to a reasonable range. The prev owners ran it w/ a v-belt on the flat belt pulley. Although it'd be fine on the facility's lineshaft, the lathe came w/ a factory motor mount and we have a fantabulous westinghouse drum switch that fits it perfectly.

Generally the clutch will stay engaged, but I'm getting the bugs worked out to make it as right as we can. Some of the parts seem OEM some DIY but its hard to say. As found, the clutch tended to bind the shaft when fully engaged, I think the dogs were pinching in their grooves. I'm reworking the dog mounting which was a very rough DIY job; sloppy etc. I'm wondering about what an original clutch looked like so as to guide the rebuild and maximize what function I can restore.

Here is a link to the Tuckahoe facility;

Untitled Document

the Hendey isn't pictured, but should be running and maybe doing the odd job for the Big Show in early July.

Regards,

Greg

mbruce:

Much better! Hendey lathe # 13952 is an Eight Speed, Geared Head, 12 x 6 model built during the last week of October 1912. It was shipped with
a Taper Attachment, an Oil Pan and a set of #2 Collets. It was arranged for BMD (Belt Motor Drive). The original owner was the General Electric
Company, Erie, Pennsylvania. All of the drawings for this lathe have survived, but no patterns or repair parts. I have a few copies of the Parts Book
for sale. These were made from a surviving original file copy, but do not have the best resolution. Fortunately, the original photographs used at
Hendey to produce the parts books have survived. It may be possible at a later date to make an excellant replica of the original. One more thing,
I found an original Hendey photograph of the 12 x 5 or 12 x 6, Eight Speed model with the top mounted motor, all in primer. The lathe is fitted out
with a Collet Box, the small Wooden Tool Cabinet, the Iron Gear Cabinet mounted on the right hand leg and (my favorite) the revolving Pyramid for
storing your chucks, Follow Rest and Center Rest. All of the equipment that would be used on a first class tool room lathe of the period.

Hendeyman

Greg:
Your museum is great. I love seeing these old machines restored in great condition. In the small town I'm from we have a machine shop that still runs on a lineshaft using 120 year old machinery. The history of it is part of the reason why I bought this old lathe. I'd like to help you with some pictures of the clutch. If you could send me a picture of it with a brief explanation of its location, and the problems you had while taking it apart I'll give it a try, and get you those pictures. Thanks for the motor size. I'll try to find a used motor locally.

Hendeyman:
Thanks for the history on the lathe. I greatly appreciate it. I'd like to buy that parts book, and a copy of that photo if I could. How much would it cost? I wasn't thinking about restoring this lathe, just getting it in good working order and using it, but now after learning more about it I'll probably give it more attention.

In your middle pic above the clutch is the assembly hidden by the big guard around the motor & vbelt. I'm particularly interested in the mechanism by which the driven pulley is engaged/disenaged from the headstock power entry shaft; ie the clutch itself. When you find a motor, be sure to set up the pulley ratio so the headstock is driven at 400-500 rpm, more than that is a bit too fast.

Thanks,

Greg

Here's a picture that shows the clutch yoke at the outside end of the pulley that's driven by the motor. The engagement handle is just behind the high/low handle;
Untitled-4.jpg

Thanks for that scan Gordon, very helpful. I guess ours isn't as cobbled as I thought.

Anyway, I got our Hendey gearhead at Tuck running today- first time its run for a couple decades I think. :) Very smooth, the 3hp motor is nice but the big rotor flywheels forever- so having the clutch working will end up important for faster starts/stops. Theres some more work putting things together before a 1st cut- we'll post some pics or some such.

We talked about how to evaluate how much sludge is in the ring oiler reservoirs, without having to take out the shafts.. and how they might be cleaned. Hendeyman, if you're reading this & know something about how the 8 spd gearhead spindle/countershafts lube system is set up, it would be most helpful if you could pass it on.

Thanks,

Greg

The scan was helpful for me as well Gordon, thanks.

Greg. My lathe doesn't have a clutch at all. There is nothing on the end of that main shaft, even though it is threaded for one. I'll post a couple of picks anyway. I picked up a three horse single phase motor, it's good to know yours is a nice size. I've also taken the top off the lathe and had a look. I've got to clean out the sludge in there, and the reservoirs, a couple of the drains where plugged up. I'm also going to replace the lead screw.

Hendeyman. I'd like to buy a parts book if I could. And the advice Greg asked for would be great as well.
Thanks, Mike.

Hello, I am not sure how to make a new thread, so i'm going to start here. I bought my first lathe a couple months ago and it happens to be a Hendey gearhead just like the one that is pictured above. I have got it running again and I am noticing it is missing some pieces. I do not have some of the gears under the chain drive and the smaller gear box. I was wondering if someone could tell me what diameter and tooth pitch these gears are and i will try to make them. (or find someone that will make them for me) I know that the gearbox will be a pain to find but if anyone has leads i would love some information. This is only the start of my questions about this machine. Thank you in advance for any help!!!

Back