What's new
What's new

Hendey Lathe ID Help - Hendeyman

DSnyder607

Plastic
Hi,

Thanks for the add to the forum. I picked up a Hendey 12" last weekend and am in the process of cleaning it up for use. I am hoping the Hendeyman might be able to help me out with some information on the history and availability of parts for the machine. The serial number is 5177 and below are a few pictures of the machine.

Hope everyone is well,

DanHendey back together.jpgHendey on trailer.jpgIMG_5023.jpg

Wow, that's an early pre tie bar model.

I want to enter a guess for year of manufacturer before hendeyman confirms.

I figure it's not much older than that since it has a Norton quick change gear box. Not much newer because it's not a tie bar head stock.

Nice find! Do you have the tail stock, and compound?

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I have the tailstock, two steady rests, 3 jaw, 4 jaw chuck, compound, multiple faceplates a bunch of cover panels which may or may not be correct, and a pile of tooling. I pulled it out of the basement of a house which was recently sold, the original owner was a machinist. The people I got it from just wanted it gone, so I was able to get the lathe and a truckload worth of tooling for the price of a day's work in moving it all. This is 100% the best shop hauls I have had to date.

It scares the crap out of me every time I see someone use casters under their lathe to move it around.

You be careful there, that 1400 lb lathe is VERY top heavy and can tip at the moment least expected.

BTW-you have a nice lathe there. Looks like it was very well taken care of.

Ken

The castors made me nervous as well, was not my first choice but the walkout basement I pulled it out of and my conditions for unloading did not present a lot of great options. I was happy to get it off the castors the second it reached its final home.

Appreciate the affirmation on the quality of the machine, I feel pretty lucky to be the next owner in its existence.

If anyone has any information on the recommended oil weights for the many oiler ports on the Hendey 12" it would be greatly appreciated as well.

If anyone has any information on the recommended oil weights for the many oiler ports on the Hendey 12" it would be greatly appreciated as well.

I was told way oil is fine for everything.. will be interesting to hear what other say here. I have the generation just before your's.

Been a very long time - if I had it to do today a squirt can with Mobil DTE Heavy Medium would suit me fine since I have it sitting around. Motor oil would be lots better than none at all. For a long time the "red stuff" (ATF) did me fine too

I'll bet it's a 1904 model since the the serial is only slightly higher than mine. I see you have power crossfeed too! Lucky #$%^ard!:D Would love to see some more close up pics of her as there is almost no surviving pics of these due to their age. Do not use way oil for the spindle bearings, too sticky. Non detergent 30 or aw46 hydraulic oil works nicely.

I will get some more pictures up after the weekend when I have spent some more time cleaning it up. I have the chucks in evopo rust right now and working hard to get a thick layer of grease, dust, and light rust off.

I picked up a quart of Velocite 10 spindle oil for it last night on eBay and I have a good amount of Mobil Vactura 2 already which I use for my Southbend 9 Junior.

Let me know if you have second thoughts on using the Velocite 10 on this machine.

thoughts on using the Velocite 10 on this machine.

Top notch for these spindle bearings in my view. Do understand these are ring oiled bearings - meaning the chamber below the bearing needs to be where the clean Velocite 10 resides - so the ring can pick it up and dump it on top the journal

Ball shaped lift off plugs on top are inspection ports - to see that the ring is actually doing this when the spindle it turning

It won't be unusual at all that well after 100 years of being owned and operated by the unknowing /uncaring that all the chambers will have in them is black goo

I will get some more pictures up after the weekend when I have spent some more time cleaning it up. I have the chucks in evopo rust right now and working hard to get a thick layer of grease, dust, and light rust off.

I picked up a quart of Velocite 10 spindle oil for it last night on eBay and I have a good amount of Mobil Vactura 2 already which I use for my Southbend 9 Junior.

Let me know if you have second thoughts on using the Velocite 10 on this machine.

After getting some advise on here, I used the lube routine for our South Bend Heavy 10 since it was similar construction, and adjusted it to fit the machines heavier slower build.

I keep 3 cans with our Hendey. Spindle oil, way oil, and general oil. Spindle oil gets topped off once a week, the other two are up to the operator to use while at the machine.

We use Velocite 10 in the two main spindle bearings. A thicker spindle oil is preferred since it runs slower speeds. For Way oil, Vactra #4. A Heavier way oil is preferred since it's entirely manually placed (no oil pump to drive it) and our Hendey is a bigger lathe than others in the shop with larger weightier sliding components. For the general oil (pretty much everything else) Mobile DTE 26 Heavy Medium same as Johnoder suggests. If you had to sub it with motor oil, I would use a lighter Non-Detergent ND-30 oil (which was probably what they used 120 years ago).

DSnyder607:

Hendey Lathe No. 5177, a 14 x 6 Cone Head model, was completed on June 4, 1902. It was shipped with a Taper Attachment, and
an Oil Pan. The original owner was the Vermont Tap and Die Corporation, no city was listed. Fourteen inch lathes, from this period, were equipped with Power Cross Feed, 12 inch lathes were not. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for a lathe of this age. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. Recently, I completed some repair parts for a 1903 Hendey. Note: The Spindle bore is a Morse Taper No.4 and the Tailstock Spindle bore is a Morse Taper No.2. The weight with the Taper Attachment and Oil Pan will be 1678lbs. The Taper Attachment will cut a taper 14 inches long in a single setting.

Hendeyman

The original owner was the Vermont Tap and Die Corporation, no city was listed.

Vermont Tap & Die was many years in Lyndonville, Vermont, employed many people there. Last I knew--a couple of years ago--the buildings were empty. I don't know if this business was there in 1902.

From my 1903 Hendey catalog.

Rob

Attachments

• Hendey 14 inch 1903 1b.jpg
    Hendey 14 inch 1903 1b.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 63
  • Hendey 14 inch 1903 1c.jpg
    Hendey 14 inch 1903 1c.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Hendey 14 inch 1903 2b.jpg
    Hendey 14 inch 1903 2b.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Hendey 14 inch 1903 3b.jpg
    Hendey 14 inch 1903 3b.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Hendey 14 inch 1903 3c.jpg
    Hendey 14 inch 1903 3c.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 33
Thank you all for the wealth of information. I spoke to the people I got the lathe from last night to tell them what I have found out so far. The lady's father, who they had inherited the house from, had worked at Vermont Tap and Die for 35 years before retiring. He brought the lathe home when the shop moved to CNC and was clearing out their inventory of older machines. I live in Morrisville, VT, about an hour from Lyndonville, it feels good to be able to preserve a piece of local history while owning a beautiful lathe like this.

Handyman, thank you for dating the machine and providing information on the history. Where does one access the original drawings? It would be great to have the ability to remake certain parts and make sure the lathe is preserved and working for hundreds of more years to come.

Back