What's new
What's new

Hendey Lathe Missing Piece

Deg

Plastic
I did get the lathe and my friend picked it up today. We have one mystery to solve right off the bat. In the original pictures I had you could see the cross feed handle and index was off. We have those. But there appears to be a sleeve that is missing that needs to go on the bolt sticking before putting the handle on. He searched for it but to no avail.

I am working on getting pictures but does any one know what part that is and possibly a picture. I have another lathe that could make it if it is indeed just a sleeve but I searching the internet I am not finding a specific photo of it.

I will work on getting pictures.

Deg,
Not sure what your missing but the cross feed screw should not be hanging out that far. Perhaps it's just needing the cross slide moved back or the screw pushed in. It may have to do with the taper attachment being incorrectly engaged. Looks like both pieces are off, the actual dial and the part that would have the witness mark which may be all that's missing. Nice score.
spaeth

You seem to be missing quite a bit actually, there is a small gear that is on that shaft, that is it's power feed supply, the main collar you are talking about, and the dial that tells you how much you have moved. I can luckily say that I have those parts currently off of my Hendey lathe and can measure them and give you blueprints or you can get original blueprint copies (possibly original parts) from HendeyMan.

14508 — ImgBB

We have that gear. It is the spacer/sleeve that isn't there. I am guessing they took it off when doing a taper and lost it.... My friend is making one now based on the witness marks on the shaft. He found some YouTube videos that shows the sleeve so he's hoping he has good idea of what is needed. He will bringing it up tomorrow so Monday we should have it under power for the first time.

14508 — ImgBB

My friend is turning new sleeve based on witness marks and some screen shots off youtube so hopefully we are getting it right. He is bringing it up tomorrow so Monday we will be hopefully getting it powered up and see where we are at and get more pictures of the thing.

Dimension requests and more information

Hey all,
Thank you for your help getting this lathe back together!

I am Deg's friend that picked up the lathe and I am currently working on machining the missing cross slide sleeve before I bring it up to him tomorrow.

Here is a picture of our carriage where the cross slide screw sleeve mounts.
Cross slide screw on lathe.jpg

Here are two pictures of where I am at so far that show the front and back of the sleeve.

Hendey cross slide sleeve front.jpg

Hendey cross slide sleeve back.jpg

I have shoulders on the front and back to accept the dial back plate (1.187 dia and 0.875 long) and to locate itself in the carriage casting (1.125 dia and 1.125 long of which 0.375 will be used up by a flange i am also locating on the same shoulder).

I have a groove cut in the front of it to accept the bronze dowel pin that the dial backing plate set screw engages.

I have bronze bushings pressed into both ends of it that i still need to open up to the shaft OD of 0.6875 plus a little clearance.

From the front of the carriage, I have settled on a protrusion of 4.250 which i hope someone might be able to confirm for me.

I am starting to fabricate a flange now.
My plan is to start with a piece of .375 x 3" bar stock bandsaw cut and finished to 1.500 tall in the 4 jaw (no functional mill for me).

I intend to center bore an id of 1.125 to slide it onto the back reduced diameter of the sleeve to locate it. Note that this still leaves .750 of the sleeve sticking thru to locate into the machined hole in the carriage.

Next I am going to attempt to drill and counter bore the two holes for the socket head cap screws that retain it to the carriage. I don't have great location measurements on those yet. It looks like the bolt circle diameter is 2", but I haven't figured out a clean way to measure the clocking of the two holes. I know they are diametrically opposed, but I haven't established their height above/below the center line of the shaft.
The machine is disassembled inside my enclosed service truck for transport and I didn't stack things in a way that is conducive to accessing this feature to measure the situation better.

Then I thought I would slide it onto the sleeve and weld the two parts together.

I then plan to turn a 3" diameter on the two 1.5" tall edges of the bar so the flange clears the cross slide dovetails.

Lastly I will true up the rear face of the flange in the lathe to be normal to the axis of the sleeve and clean up the front face to make my weld disappear.

If any of this sounds wrong or dumb please let me know!

Related thread:

Hendey Lathe

Hendeyman has multi page parts list

As well as at VM

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/430/20023.pdf

Page 5

A Hendey oddity is that the whole shaft moves back and forth with the cross slide screw during taper attachment use - this naturally displaces the sort of clamped on cross slide dial

Hey Johnoder, Thanks for tying Deg's other post to this one, if that was your intent. It does have some pictures of his soon to be lathe in its current state.

I was studying the same manual you linked last night, and while very close it is not the same as the lathe we are working on. In the linked breakdown it shows the cross slide sleeve threading into the front of the carriage. This lathe has two tapped holes and and a grease impression where there was a flange on the back of this sleeve. I was able to find some pictures online to verify that both types were made by Hendey. I never found a parts breakdown showing the flanged style sleeve though.

You seem to be missing quite a bit actually, there is a small gear that is on that shaft, that is it's power feed supply, the main collar you are talking about, and the dial that tells you how much you have moved. I can luckily say that I have those parts currently off of my Hendey lathe and can measure them and give you blueprints or you can get original blueprint copies (possibly original parts) from HendeyMan.

Thanks GreaseGirl,
Could you confirm how far out the sleeve protrudes from the carriage on your machine?

That would help me a lot to know that my part will allow the correct travel of the cross slide and that the dial ends up in the correct place.

The rest of the parts you mentioned are in hand. You can barely see the feed gear installed inside the casting where it would mesh to the apron drive gear below. I have the dial backing plate and the dial. I also have the handwheel.
All of these parts were in the chip tray when I inspected and picked up the machine. The only part that I never saw nor could locate is the sleeve that spaces the dial away from the carriage to allow more movement of the cross slide outwards.

Deg,
Not sure what your missing but the cross feed screw should not be hanging out that far. Perhaps it's just needing the cross slide moved back or the screw pushed in. It may have to do with the taper attachment being incorrectly engaged. Looks like both pieces are off, the actual dial and the part that would have the witness mark which may be all that's missing. Nice score.
spaeth

Thanks spaeth,
I am fairly certain the only piece we dont have is the sleeve that holds the dial backing plate away from the carriage. I am trying to machine it currently, and i am hoping you folks could verify that i am on the right track with my protrusion length and the bushing locations.

Any suggestions,feedback, or criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks- Cody

Deg:

I have made a few Cross Feed Screw Sleeves over the years and without a drawing you will not get the details right. Unless you had the
exact part to copy, you will not be able to make an exact duplicate. You can look at all of the pictures you want on the internet and
you still won't be able to produce an accurate copy. Another thing that I am constantly reminding Hendey owners about is design changes.
Since your lathe was built in 1945, it is important to use the drawing that was used to produce a particular part for your particular
lathe. I have spent a few years studying Hendey drawings produced between 1883 and 1954 and sometimes, I have to spend a good bit of
time trying to figure out when a design change was made. Reverse engineering is a useful tool, but why try to reinvent the wheel when
the information you need to do the job correctly is available with just a few key strokes. One more thing to consider is that the Sleeve
Flange is eccentrically turned, which effects the center distance of the bolt holes. Please keep us posted on how this part turns out.

Hendeyman

Back