Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by steelsponge View Post
    PS I called the phone number for mozilla firefox tech support and it is out of order LOL Later
    Patrick DID have consistently great photos. But AFAIK, they were not the only ones, ever.

The spindles aren't complicated. MS Windows and app compatibilty surely ARE.

They can suck all the time out of the room - even leave a body with a massive "overdraft".

Besides - if you have read the lore? You have a "3 D" Hendey right in your face.

Have at it. Shout for help if you get Hendey-itis of the mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You asked for Patrick Black's Hendey Headstock Photos?????????
    Well here they are
    flush-oil-passages.jpgreversing-gears.jpgdog-tooth-clutch.jpgcone-mounted-wood-mandre.jpgrepaired-gear-teeth.jpg
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The second set after a tweak for sizing and image correction.

oil-plug.jpgreversing-gears-subassembly.jpgspindle-subassembly.jpgspindle-assembly.jpgback-gear-subassembly.jpg

4. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In case you don't already have these "instructive" images

Quote Originally Posted by steelsponge View Post
    Greetings, To John O. John H and to all that responded to my help request. After a day and a half and successfully downloading firefox and photobucket embed it wont work on my system. We have windows 10 and I called tech. support and they said it will work on the older systems, ie xp win. 7 but not win. 10 I have to redirect out of windows 10 not sure i want to do that.
    What is confusing to me John O. is that u have windows 10 and it worked for you. I have 1 other place to try tomorrow after that maybe i can figure out if our windows 10 has been upgraded. I've spent a day and a half on this with no success yet. I'm not a give up sort of guy. I'm sure there is a way.
    PS The pictures I mostly wanted from Pat's thread are the ones related to the work on his spindle on the head stock. I've taken John O's advice and read many threads on the Hendey spindle and its adjustment and printed much info. I'm getting ready to tackle my Hendey and i was looking forward to his pics. From what I've been able to see Pat has done a beautiful job on his lathe. I can only hope mine will look half as good. Once again a Happy Thanksgiving to all. Be safe in your travels, Clyde
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails all-parts.jpg   front-detail.jpg   list.jpg   parts-together.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

johnoder,
    Those are really helpful images thanks for posting. When a Hendey owner has a spindle that is dragging or tight is #2 Thrust Ring the culprit or is there another adjustment to address the problem?
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhruska View Post
    johnoder,
    Those are really helpful images thanks for posting. When a Hendey owner has a spindle that is dragging or tight is #2 Thrust Ring the culprit or is there another adjustment to address the problem?
    John
    I like to emphasize that there is no helpful adjustment - you just have to bite the bullet and fix it - with either the shim, or as one member likes, fix it with TIME SAVER compound - a favorite of Babbitt bearing automobile folks

The shim physically moves the tapered journal out of its now too small tapered bearing box

The TIME SAVER apparently wears the too small bearing box a smidgen larger - and maybe also takes a little off the tapered journal

Hendey obviously did not make the thrust face portion of the bearing box large enough in area to accommodate these critters' long, long lives (and the legions of users that cared naught about KNOWING what Hendey wanted in the way of maintenance of their magnificent ring oiling system)

Lots of makers liked the tapered business - like both Cincinnati and K&T mills and also the plain bearing Lucas contingent. You never hear about how these held up.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are Pat's 800 X 600 shots - I followed John H's lead here as to selection and sequencing. A huge thanks to member EPA 3 for his write up on just how this gets done. Its all right here. There are some minor differences when I do this in Win 10

Using This Board's Image Hosting

9. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last may around the middle of the month I started a thread entitled Help with my Hendey Lathe.I got a lot of great and informative responses. Among them were 4 ,I belive, pics on how to remove and adjust the hendey Head Stock spindle posted by JohnOder. Thank you for that John. Along with the pics. came a cautionary note or warning. John said and I am paraphrasing Search for and Find the threads related to the hendey Spindle and DIGEST IT THOROUGHLY. Wanting to see Pats photos became part of my mission. Text supported by photos is hard to beat. When I begin my restore I NEED and WANT all the information I can get. I may still screw up here or there but i think I have a much better chance of minimizing my mistakes the more I forarm my self.
    A lot of you on this site I imagine are Engineers,Some with businesses, and or machinists and ( some like me With little experience.) Most of you have used and worked on these machines for years. My backround is in Hauling heavy Equipment and machinery. I did that for about 30 years. I sold my big truck and lowboy trailer after i retired. I retired fairly young under 60. I started collecting vintage woodworking and metalworking machinery. I'm now 71. In a manner of speaking i have went back to school Here mostly and a couple of other sites. So all of you are my teachers. Every time I start a thread and I get a response or responses I'm learning. Give me half a chance and I will pick your brain. I truly want to thank you all for the information and the time you take to help me understand what I am going to try. I have many machines and if I live long enough I will go through them all. I could say much more but i will shutup for now. Here is wishing you all a Very happy Thanksgiving. Stay healthy and be safe in your travels Once again Thank you all very much, Clyde PS John O. When I get a chance I will update my windows 10 and I think I will eventually be able to clear up the photobucket pics. Using this site to host all of our pertinent pics is a great idea, TY

11. Likes steelfronts, Rick Hand liked this post