What's new
What's new

Hendey lathe spindle stuck

mark ct

Hot Rolled
So my 15 year old neighbor recently purchased this Hendey lathe, it was only 200 bucks so a great starter lathe, however spindle is stuck, I see that's semi common yet I can't find how exactly you disassemble and fix it, all the discussions Google finds me are spindles that look different or not a clear explanation. I don't want to damage anything disassembling it to reshim it, it sounds like that is what we need to do anyways. Also having been absent here for over a decade I don't see how to post pictures anymore??? It's a 12" swing cone head lathe

Welcome back Mark

Go Advanced and Manage Attachments works fine for me from my PC to upload photos to forum as thumbnails

Thumbnails below are some of the usual stuff I post to assist folks doing this repair, and if that isn't enough it can be discussed here at length

If you reclaim your SEARCH skills there are numerous threads on the subject

So my 15 year old neighbor recently purchased this Hendey lathe, it was only 200 bucks so a great starter lathe, however spindle is stuck, I see that's semi common yet I can't find how exactly you disassemble and fix it, all the discussions Google finds me are spindles that look different or not a clear explanation. I don't want to damage anything disassembling it to reshim it, it sounds like that is what we need to do anyways. Also having been absent here for over a decade I don't see how to post pictures anymore??? It's a 12" swing cone head lathe

Attachments

• All parts.jpg
    All parts.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 397
  • Assembled.jpg
    Assembled.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Front detail.jpg
    Front detail.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 276
  • List.jpg
    List.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 171
  • Parts together.jpg
    Parts together.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 313
Thank you, and I had found a few threads but admit it was puzzling me a bit exactly how it was adjusted, your pictures make it somewhat clearer. I attached a picture of the lathe, any good resources for dating them etc?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-02-06-06-52-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-02-06-06-52-16.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 221
any good resources for dating them

Post up serial - which will be right end on top stamped into machined cast iron between two front ways and adjacent the pair of screws holding up the right hand lead screw bracket.

Will be four or five digits

Hendeyman sometimes can provide history

I'll give the standard warning to remove the motor and support arm as they make the lathe top heavy.

We had contemplated that, but not having a good lifting device onsite the plan is to jack up each end and bolt a 4ft long timber crossways on each end and then connect these with lengthwise skids making a large stable base to move it and secure it in transport

One thing doesn't exclude the other...

You can use the very same timber to rig a structure to hold a chain hoist and assist you in disassembly.
Otherwise, if you insist in moving it completely assembled, extend the runners at least another 4-6ft to the left of the headstock, since it would lift equally easily the tailstock end of the bed.

Paolo

Excellent point, I had not thought about the lengthwise tipping potential with such a relatively short bed, I will definitely leave them long

Moving the lathe went well, made a stable base skid and walked it to the doorway with a pallet jack and Johnson bar then slid it up onto the hooklift flatbed. We did remove the motor itself from the overhead drive as it was being replaced with single phase anyhow and reduced some weight up top. Once home disassembled the spindle and I understand exactly how they stick now, new shims are on the way from the calculations I found on another thread

Attachments

• KIMG2049.jpg
    KIMG2049.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 111
  • KIMG2050.jpg
    KIMG2050.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 27710016_10156101970408582_4981313902966137753_o.jpg
    27710016_10156101970408582_4981313902966137753_o.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 131

Back