Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hendey Lathe threading

I have finally got to the point that I was ready to try threading on my lathe and I am now stumped.

A bit of a backstory first. I bought the lathe in February with no history on it and based on what I have found I am guessing it hasn't been run in a couple decades and as a result the oil/grease has become basically tar with the years and dust and so I had a lot of things seized partially or fully that I had to free up to just get to the point that the feed mechanism worked at all.

I had the gears off, and the three speed gear box off as well to clean things. It is finally back together but now as I alluded to I have a new mystery. My first attempt at threading on this machine so I set it to 4 threads an inch (easy to count), turned it on , and ran it only to find that it actually cut 20 threads a minute. I have checked the gears and based on photos I put it back right. I have not taken the three speed box off yet to see if something got screwed up there but before I do that I am curious if I am just missing something obvious?

As you can see there are two gears on the one stud a 40 and a 48. At the moment it is a 48 48 gear ratio. I was going to switch to the smaller gear for a 48 40 ratio but that would only reduce it to 16 threads a minute so that isn't it or am I wrong on the math? It is also seized on the shaft so I need to get a puller in the morning to get it off.

So is there a lever somewhere in am missing to switch from feeding to threading or are
    my gears messed up?

Also the 48 tooth gear is really rough which I think explains the racket it makes so I will need to source a new one of those.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It sounds like you may have engaged the feed with the feed clutch instead of the half nuts...? Just guessing here...

The clutch has to be disengaged to fully engage the half nuts.

-Bear

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am pretty sure that is exactly what I did. Been staring at the thing for a day, got tunneled in on the gears since that stuff I have touched and didn't even think about the order of the levers on the apron. And after I posted this I got to reading the online manual again and it just dawned on me that I didn't check that.

So to clarify this. I need the half nut lever, upper right hand lever to face right, then engage the lever at the feed handle, the grab the fwd/rev lever and engage that. Or do I leave the lever by the feed handle alone? Never run this machine before and I thought I figured it but now I am just confusing myself.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There should be a lockout to prevent engaging the feed handle and the locknuts at the same time. If you do manage to engage both, nasty things will happen... broken gears, bent shafts, etc...

To thread, engage the half nuts, (upper right lever), then use the reversing handle to start/stop the carriage movement. Do not attempt to use the feed lever.

-Bear

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok. Thanks.

I was pretty sure it was either or but better to confirm everything at this point.

I am also hand running everything, then jogging, then running the machine when I have been getting it running as I have already had one gear shear it's key when it decide to seize up. Saved me a few times already on other things that have been locked up or otherwise needing to be fixed.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Deg:

Unless I have read your original post incorrectly, you did not mention the size of your lathe or the Serial Number. To replace any of the
    change gears, it is necessary to know the date of manufacture to determine the correct Pressure Angle of the gear. Also, there are a
    number of simple tests that can be performed to determine what parts of the lathe are not operating properly, these are done with the
    motor off and the clutch disengaged. Since this machine was so dirty, it is possible that the Frictions in the Apron are stuck which can
    effect the interlock mechanism.

Hendeyman

8. Likes muckalee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a 12 x 30.

I run it by hand before I run it with the motor and then work from the slowest speed to the highest.

I haven't got to the apron yet. I was hoping it was still decent. I am working to get the gear cleaned up and then try threading again with the right lever engaged. From there I can make the determination of what else may be wrong. Hopefully I just end up replacing the one gear and that is it. As long as I just leave the feed disengaged and run it manually it works real smooth so I am fairly optimistic that once I get these last things figured out I will have a nice machine.