What's new
What's new

Hendey Lead screw reverse repair

Froneck

Titanium
I have a 14" early 50's 18 speed gear drive Hendey. I recently replaced the Vee belts. Having to remove many of the covers and a gear I decided to give it a Paint Job and do some maintenance on it since the Kung Flu I'm a little slow. Also it's one of 6 lathes I have so I can work around it.
The lead screw reverse drive slips from time to time in the Left Hand Screw direction. Right hand works fine. I assume the previous owner used it while running the spindle too fast during feed reversing. I've had this lathe over 20 years, it had this problem when I got it. Not very bad, if I need to cut LH threads I hold the lever, However since I'm doing a little work on the lathe I'm thinking it's a good time to fix it. I'm familiar with the mechanism, helped a friend fix the problem on a Hendey I sold him. We did lift the headstock. Being my shop has too many machines it would be a bit of a problem to get a Forklift near the lathe nor is there anything to attach a means to lift it. Easiest way would be to move the lathe to where I can use the Forklift.
So after all that long story, is it possible to access the reversing mechanism without lifting the Headstock?

Is it possible to access the reversing mechanism without lifting the Headstock?

No, assuming one is the normal human sized being. Photos often posted. I'll suppose the gear head just has a harder to handle head stock casting compared to Cone Head

Photos compliments of Patrick Black

DSC02416.jpgDSC02424.jpg

I had to adjust mine after moving it into place and I put a box under it and was able to lay on that and reach up and do the adjustment... however, my model doesn't have a pan under it. YMMV

I'm going to try moving it to where I can get to it with my fork lift. Don't do much LH threading but it will be nice to get it fixed. Have my L&S apart too, thought it would be a quick fix. The key in the rack gear moves when I bring the carriage to a micrometer stop. Has a cover in the front of the apron, removed it to find I have to remove the apron! Got a new clutch from Hendeyman for my 12" so that one is down but still have 3 lathes operational and due to the Kung Flu my main customer is closed! So I have a little time to get the lathes running! Just to make things interesting I purchased 4 more at HGR.

Back