What's new
What's new

Hendey lead screw reversing mechanism - bearings scored

Hartkem

Aluminum
Making good progress on the restoration of my 12x30 gearhead but ran into an issue with the reversing mechanism main shaft bearings. I removed the headstock to clean and paint and flipped it upside down to inspect the reversing mechanism. Bevel gears and the dog clutch looks good. I removed the two bearing caps for the main shaft and one of the two bearings have damage. The wider bearing which is about 3 inches long is scored on one side about 3/4 of an inch wide. Both shaft and bore have damage. Looking for repair opinions. One idea i have is to simply clearance the damaged part of the bearing and rely on the 2 inches that’s still good. The other idea I had was to Fill the grooves of the cast iron bite with brass and then somehow bore it back smooth. The bore consists of the cap and the other side is the head stock surface. I could then either make a new shaft or build up the old one with weld or braze.
Hendey lathe - Album on Imgur

Making good progress on the restoration of my 12x30 gearhead but ran into an issue with the reversing mechanism main shaft bearings. I removed the headstock to clean and paint and flipped it upside down to inspect the reversing mechanism. Bevel gears and the dog clutch looks good. I removed the two bearing caps for the main shaft and one of the two bearings have damage. The wider bearing which is about 3 inches long is scored on one side about 3/4 of an inch wide. Both shaft and bore have damage. Looking for repair opinions. One idea i have is to simply clearance the damaged part of the bearing and rely on the 2 inches that’s still good. The other idea I had was to Fill the grooves of the cast iron bite with brass and then somehow bore it back smooth. The bore consists of the cap and the other side is the head stock surface. I could then either make a new shaft or build up the old one with weld or braze.
Hendey lathe - Album on Imgur

Not pretty, but.. how much has the wear actually affected shaft slop / gear centerline-to-centerline running spacing?

Might run fine with just knocking-off the high spots on both parts, optionally bumping up lube to the next heavier grade.

Not pretty, but.. how much has the wear actually affected shaft slop / gear centerline-to-centerline running spacing?

Might run fine with just knocking-off the high spots on both parts, optionally bumping up lube to the next heavier grade.

I don’t think it has affected it much at all. It’s the front section of the bearing near the drive gear. The rest of the bearing surface is good. The bad section is where the oil port enters the bearing. I’ll check the oil feed pipe for restriction but I suspect debris got down into it.
Shaft - Album on Imgur
Shaft damage closeup - Album on Imgur

Back