What's new
What's new

Hendey Lead Screw Slack 14x54 # 36845

Bfisher1955

Plastic
I have owned this lathe 20 years, it is still usable. The lead screw reverse handle still works, but the slack is in the bevel gears under the gear head, namely the shift dogs on 2 bevel gears & the dogs on the sliders.

Also the motor clutch is to tight as in it takes 2 hands to pull it up & lock it.
Hendey man help!! Parts or a source??

Thanks!!

Bfisher1955:

Hendey lathe #36845, a 14x54, 18 Speed Geared Head model, was one of two identical lathes ordered on May 14, 1946. The other Serial Number was 36844. The original owner was the General Electric Company, Schenectady, New York. The electric motor was a Frame 284, 5HP, 1200RPM, 550 Volts, 3PH, 60Cycles. It was scheduled for completion during the second week of October 1946. There are a few Patterns, Casting and Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made as required.

Normally, the slack or "lost motion" is caused by an accumulation of wear in the pins that join all of the linkage together. Assuming that all of the linkage from the Reversing Handle to the Bell Crank is tight, then the sliding Dog Tooth Clutch and the Bevel Gears will have to be checked. To do this, it will be necessary to drain the oil from the Headstock and remove it from the Bed. One way to lift the Headstock is to insert an inch and a half piece of steel shafting, wrapped with tape to keep from marring the inner surface of the
Spindle, and with the shafting protruding from each end of the Headstock, attach the lifting slings. It will be necessary to have an
extra pair of hands to keep the Headstock from trying to rotate during the lift. Place the Headstock on its backside on the bench, this
should give you easy access to all of the Reversing Gear. Depending on the model, I do have a few Bevel Gear Sets in stock. Worn Dog
Teeth are an easy repair, it is usually not necessary to make new teeth. Report your findings and we can decide the next step.

Regarding adjusting the throw on the Twin Disc Clutch, there is a threaded rod that connects the Bell Crank to the Clutch Yoke. It is
threaded like a Turn Buckle and works the same way. There is usually a lock nut at each end to keep the rod from turning once it is
adjusted. Again, depending on the model, it is either accessed from inside the Cabinet Leg or outside next to the Counterweight. When
adjusting the rod, remember to allow for the Yoke to travel from the full Engaged position to the full Brake position.

Hendeyman

Thanks for the quick reply. I have got the head off Reversing mechanism removed & feel I can safely report the slack is in the shift dogs can’t say how much the dogs on the gears are worn nor the sliding dogs either. Get in touch when u can 276 732. 4553 again thanks & I have pictures don’t know how to post

Back