What's new
What's new

Hendey No 2 x 42 Lathe info

Mike Hays

Plastic
Greetings. I'm looking for any info I could get for Hendey No 2 x 42 lathe. Looking for documentation, manuals etc. I have found some info but nothing for the No 2. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks MH

Attachments

• Hendy 1.jpg
    Hendy 1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Hendy 2.jpg
    Hendy 2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 145
Nothing helpful to add but what a nice looking machine. Whats the top spindle speed?

Speeds range 30 to 1142. 4 belt positions with 2 speeds in each for a total of 8. 4 in high gear and 4 in low. Runs good but will need to replace the flat belt eventually.

Post your serial number. Hendeyman will be able to tell you a bit about when it was made and to whom it was shipped. He may have some literature and perhaps still has a few of those belts left?

I had a #2x42, excellent lathe and I wish I didn't sell it when I moved.

I also have a No. 1 great little lathe! Nice part is the lead screw/feed can be shifted at higher speed than my other 18 speed gear drive Hendeys.

Hoping for good user info, Hendy No 2 x 42 serial number is 38206H1214. Machine works really well but I will need to replace the flat belt at some point. Looking for documentation or manuals, ideally, that would give this type info as well as general info for this model. Old machines are addictive... Thanks!

Mike Hays:

Hendey lathe No.38206, a 14 x 42, No.2 General Purpose model was completed on August 28, 1952. The following information was taken from
the original Order Form. Information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Sold to: General Electric Company, Electronics Park, Commercial Equipment Division, Syracuse, New York
Ship to: General Electric Company, New York Mills, New York
Sold by: Rochester (Sales Office)
Wanted by: Not before June 1, 1952
Description: 14" x 42" - #2 General Purpose Lathe CR (Compound Rest) - to swing 16-1/2" (Raised Swing model)
GROUD BED - Oil Pan - Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog) with Thread Chasing dial
Roller bearings on Spindle
Cam Lock Type Flanged Spindle Nose - Spindle Speeds - 30 to 1142 RPM
High Speed Reversing Mechanism
Drawing in Attachment and set of 15 - #6 Collets from 1/8" to 1" inclusive by 16ths complete with cabinet (Deleted from
Order)
Furnish and Fit 12" 4-jaw steel body Independent chuck
Furnish and Fit 10" 3-jaw steel body Universal chuck
Furnish and fit #14 Jacobs Super Ball Bearing Drill Chuck
Furnish and Fit Jacobs #91-C6 Spindle Nose collet Chuck complete with 11 collets from 1/16" to 1-3/8" inclusive
arranged for Motor Drive with Motor in cabinet Leg
Furnish and Fit 5 HP General Electric Motor - Ball Bearing - Frame 254 - 440 volts - 3 Phase - 60 Cycles - 1800 RPM
together with reversing magnetic starter, plugging switch and built in push button station and necessary electrical
controls
fit Leveling Screws
Chrome plate handwheels, handles and levers

There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in
the files, so parts can be made if required. I was able to find (1) Operator's Manual, (1) Repair Parts Book and (1) Flat Driving Belt
left in stock. If you are interested in any of the items, please contact me directly at: [email protected] for prices and payment
instructions. Between 1947 and the end of production in Torrington, in 1954, a total of 232 No.2 General Purpose Lathes were built.
Between 1955 and 1959, Barber Colman built 102 2E General Purpose Lathes with the Electronic Drive System.

Hendeyman

Back