Hendey Norton 1B Universal questions

RCPDesigns

Hot Rolled
I'm looking at a Hendey Norton 1B Universal and have a couple of questions:

Weight?

Spindle taper?

Overarm diameter?

Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing we are looking at the same machine down in Alabama. Lol.

Weight should be around 2200 pounds (per hendeyman on here). From my research it is most likely a B&S 9 or 10 taper. I have seen overarm diameter quoted at 3 and 4 inches. I'm gonna make the trip over to look at it next week if you haven't bought it by then. I will certainly take a lot of pics if I dont buy it and share with you. Dont really wanna see it scrapped and I can use it.

raven007: Yes, I did buy it. It will be right at home with my Hendey lathe and shaper. I'm very excited to get it and I'm currently figuring out just *how* I will get it home. They have offered to deliver it so I'll probably take that option.

RCPDesigns:

You Georgia Boys have got me confused and at my age that is an easy thing to do. I answered one inquiry about a 1B Universal Milling
Machine, then I get a private Message from another person asking about a 1B Milling machine and finally, your post today. From what you have said, there is only one 1B Milling Machine, but two people interested in buying it. It would seem that you are now the owner of the
1B and there is a good chance you sent me the private message. Now you have three of the main Hendey machines, buy a planer and you
will be a member of a very small group that owns all four machines.

I will repeat and add to the information that I already have posted. The 1B was introduced in circa 1905 and was the smallest milling
machine built by Hendey except the Oscillating Milling Machine, also introduced in 1905. The 1B weights 2160lbs. The Spindle Taper is
B&S No. 10, the same as used on the No.1-1/2 and No. 2 Milling machine. The No. 1B and No. 1-1/2 have the same size Overarms, 3-1/2
inches in diameter. A Vertical Attachment was NOT supplied as standard equipment and was a special order item. The Spindle is a Nominal
2-1/2 diameter threaded with a four thread to the inch, Left Hand thread. The working surface of the Table is 33 x 8-1/2 inches with
5/8 inch T slots. Longitudinal travel is 20 inches, Transverse travel is 6 inches and Vertical travel is 18 inches. Feed changes are 18.
Feeds per revolution are .003 to .160 inches. Spindle is bored through 1 inch. Belt width is 2-1/2 inches.

Hendeyman

Hi Hendeyman. I've been reading your posts for years but since I don't have a Hendey lathe, some things don't apply. Lots of stuff Does and I thank you for the knowledge and time. That Norton gear box was the perfect union. I didn't see your reply here or I wouldn't have posted in the other thread. Sometimes it is a good thing to know there are some other folks around who have these remarkable Hendeys of any type.

The Hendey is home! I went down today and picked it up. Will start another thread with some more pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7076.jpg
    IMG_7076.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 96

Back