What's new
What's new

Hendey pinion help

M1782t

Plastic
I previously posted in the general section, but am now posting here as it is more appropriate.

I have a Hendey 16 x 54 lathe sn 31385 with a pinion that was replaced by some well meaning gorilla. From the teeth that are left on it and the rack, I am coming up with CP .353, DP 9. Is this right or am I way off. If right where do I find a 16 tooth, 2.015 OD, 9 DP gear? It's actually kind of close to a mod 3, but I find it hard to believe that anything on the old guy would be metric. thanks

M1782t:

I will assume that you are talking about the Rack Gear and Pinion Assembly. At the time that your lathe was built, Hendey had changed Pressure Angles. The Pinion Gear is a standard 9DP with a 20 degree PA. These are normally made from a cast iron blank and can be
machined with a standard involute gear cutter. On other assemblies, because of a lack of clearance, it is necessary to use a gear shaper.
These are no longer a stock item, but I can supply a drawing if you want to make it yourself. Because of he thin nature of the pinion,
brazing or "ringing" it and cutting new teeth don't always give the best results. Another method that has shown good results is to cut
off the Pinion Shaft flush with the large gear, bore out the gear and key in a new Pinion Shaft and Pinion gear. This method saves a lot
time and materials trying to make a new gear blank. The Pinion O.D. is 1.998"-2.000" with 16 teeth. The Large gear is 14DP, 20 degree PA
with 79 teeth. The change from 14-1/2PA to 20PA was made on November 18, 1936 with the advent of the Cam Action Feed Handles.

Hendeyman

Thank you very much for the info. I'm going to try the brazing route first. I have some rod that is actually designed for replacing gear teeth. I don't remember what the alloy is and the label has long since fallen off, but the times I've used it, it worked really well. thanks again

Back