What's new
What's new

Hendey SN information

Froneck

Titanium
I'm looking at a Hendey lathe SN 30265. I do have a machinery SN book by Industrial Machinery News. I'm hoping Hendeyman or some one can confirm my book listing the lathe was built in 1938. Not sure if my book is 100% correct since the previous Hendey question in the Forum was built in 1920 and my book has it prior to 1920 but my book only goes back to 1920 that has the SN for 1920 starting at 23959. Each year listed back then adds about 500 give or take a few numbers depending on how many were ordered. I'm sure Hendeyman's information is much more accurate than my book. I'm helping someone else so I don't want to be wrong.

1975 serial book agrees - towards the end of '38

All this info was VOLUNTARY from the builders - publishers had to make do with what ever the builders bothered to send to them

I've got Hendey #29844 and was told it was completed in the third week of September of '38. I have heard from hendeyman that some serial #s are out of sequence but I would best guess your lathe is from mid '39. But that's just a guess and Hendeyman is the authority on that.

Thanks to all of you, My book seems to somewhat correct. Was told the Hendey I'm looking at was 1948 vintage but SN don't support that claim. I hope Hendeyman will reply and provide perfect information. But we all seem to be very close. However I was surprised to see a 1938 vintage was the same as my my 1950's vintage, even has D1-6 spindle!

Frank

Sorry to pile on...please tell me what your book lists for Hendey serial no. 24406, a 12X5 with compound rest, no quick-change gearbox. Thanks!

Froneck:

The Serial Number Card for Hendey lathe No.30265 was misfiled at Aable Machine years ago, so I can't tell you the name of the original
owner. I can tell you that it was scheduled for completion during the second week of November 1939. This should be an RS model(Raised
Swing) model, which will increase the nominal swing by about 2-1/2 inches. A limited supply of Patterns, Casting and Repair Parts are
left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required.

I got your PM and I will sending you a reply in a few hours.

Hendeyman

Bravotroop:

Congratulations! You are the proud owner of a Hendey Jr. lathe. Introduced in 1922 and manufactured until 1929, it was intended for light
manufacturing and trade school use. Both the Feeds and Screw cutting are via Change Gears. The Screw Cutting Range is 3 to 36 TPI and the
Feed Rate is 6 to 530 TPI. The Tailstock takes a Morse-Hendey Taper No.2 and the Spindle Nose uses a Morse-Hendey Taper No.4 Bushing.

Hendey lathe No.24406, a 12x5 Junior Model, was the last lathe completed in September 1922. The original owner was the National Safety
Appliance Company, San Francisco, California. At a later date it was owned by Farrel Birmingham, Buffalo, New York. There are very few
Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts
can be made if required. I should have one of the original Sales Brochures left in the files, if you are interested in it, email me at
[email protected]

Hendeyman

New member looking at an older Hendey Lathe. Wondering where to look for the serial number. Patent #'s are obviouse, but didn't find a serial number. Thanks.

New member looking at an older Hendey Lathe. Wondering where to look for the serial number. Patent #'s are obviouse, but didn't find a serial number. Thanks.

Right end on top in between two front ways adjacent pair of screws holding up RH lead screw bracket, stamped into machined cast iron, 4 or 5 digits

Back