What's new
What's new

Hendey Tool & Gage lathe - Info request and thoughts on future direction!

Niwot

Plastic
First post here!

I am potentially going to get my hands on a Hendey Tool & Gage lathe. I am told that it does not run when powered up.

AHL 40037 is the serial number.

The lathe MIGHT have all the original bits inside (but I am not sure, of course). I would like to try to get it running using the original system, unless it goes against the conventional wisdom or is prohibitively expensive. It seems that there are a number of drive systems for these machines, and I am in no way an electrical expert, so this may be a big project.

Thanks for any help!!!

(I PM'd Hendeyman with a similar note, but my "sent" folder shows no messages sent, so I am not sure if it actually went through--in any case it is more fun to have this kind of discussion with everyone anyway)

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20200114_184856.jpg
    20200114_184856.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 191
  • motorplate.jpg
    motorplate.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 20200114_185846.jpg
    20200114_185846.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 171
  • 20200114_190535.jpg
    20200114_190535.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 163
0000550_xl3300a_400.jpeg
https://www.minarikdrives.com/XL3300A

I have one of these.
Waiting to hook it up on my T&G.

-Doozer

I didn't know that was an option! I would have assumed that I needed a new motor and VFD. This is much less work! However, if the current drive system is nonoperational due to a tube, that seems like the path of least resistance.

For the PWM DC drive, is it merely a matter of hooking up a pot to control the speed, and using the factory wiring/switches to control direction? BTW, at $700 this is not exactly inexpensive!

Thanks again!

Yes, this is not a reversing drive.
Still need a set if reversing contactors
or a drum switch for reversing.
Most DC drives this large only go to 180vdc.
This one gives full 230vdc.
I have a 1951 T&G with a functional motor-gen drive,
but it is so loud, even idling. Blower fan on the genny
is really loud.
I have the drive, just need to get time to hook it up.

-Doozer

Niwot,
My T&G (AHL-40041)is sibling of your machine - made in a batch of eleven AHL-40036 to AHL-40047. Mine was ordered 23 August 1956 and delivered 18 Dec 1956. When I received the machine, it also didn't run and had the electronic drive like yours. (I did purchase the electrical schematic from Hendeyman) But the problem seemed too daunting so that I purchased a VFD and a three phase motor (sensorless drive)which back in 2005 cost $750.
There are a number of people on this board who have gotten these machines run. My understanding is that a couple of them have purchased up to 100 drawings from Hendeyman in the rebuilding process.
browniesharp

Related Question: For these drives, is there a misbehaving part that is the culprit most of the time? (e.g. Thyratron tubes)

Run away fast!
These machines have a very bad reputation for infecting the owners with OID.

Now that you have been warned...
I have 2 of these machines ahl 40075 which is in "to be fixed " condition,
and Ahl 40067R which I have completely rebuilt, including the original drive.
My advise to you would be to ask about the drive over on the Monarch board.
The tube drive is very similar to the one in a 10EE lathe.
Cal Hanes was extremely helpful helping me get my MagAmp drive going.

If the drive turns out to be pooched, retrofit to a 3ph/VFD set up is simple.
The PWM dc drives may not work as they are usually 180vdc, and your motor needs 220vdc.
The drive "system" was made my Louis Allis for these machine and repair parts are scarce.
What if any accessories did you get with the machine?
Any pictures??

Pete

There are 4 distinct drives for these machines:
1) mechanical variable speed (old)
2) tube drive
3) magnetic Amplifier
4) single phase input variable speed uses variacs.

All are obsolete and most parts are un-obtanium.
Based on my experience I wouldn't spend a lot of time, energy or money on one.
VFD Conversion is cheaper and easier.

Pete

Subscribed. I have two mechanical drive T&G's, both are currently completely disassembled. They are very nicely made machines.

2) tube drive
3) magnetic Amplifier

All are obsolete and most parts are un-obtanium.
Based on my experience I wouldn't spend a lot of time, energy or money on one.
VFD Conversion is cheaper and easier.

Pete

Mine is a motor-generator drive.
It has one vacuum tube, but it is only a DC rectifier tube,
and could be easily replaced with a diode bridge.
Not sure what category you are classifying my lathe as.

-D

2) tube drive
3) magnetic Amplifier

Taking a peek at the first post of this thread, where there are few pics of the innards, are you able to tell me which class of lathe we are dealing with? Clearly it is not a mechanical drive nor a single phase input (as it is marked as a 3 phase machine--and I don't see any variacs inside). Thanks!

Niwot,
As I mentioned in my post #5, this is the electronic drive "tube drive" similar to the WIAD drive for the Monarch 10ee. After I purchased the VFD and 3 phase motor, I examined the electronic guts more carefully. I noted that a lead to one of the large power tubes was broken off but was this the only reason reason why it didn't run?

Niwot,
As I mentioned in my post #5, this is the electronic drive "tube drive" similar to the WIAD drive for the Monarch 10ee. After I purchased the VFD and 3 phase motor, I examined the electronic guts more carefully. I noted that a lead to one of the large power tubes was broken off but was this the only reason reason why it didn't run?

I figured that we had the same drive. I think that there is a lot of non-standard nomenclature floating around the forum, and was not sure if "tube drive" and "electronic" (or "magnetic amplifier" for that matter) were the same thing.

So, it is official! I did purchase the lathe, and it should be arriving home some time in the next two weeks! I am excited!!!!

I will post a bunch of pics when I can.

Also, I received the following message from HendeyMan, and thought I would share:

"Your Hendey lathe No. AHL 40037 was ordered June 7, 1956 and was scheduled for completion during October 1956. It was equipped with a 2/3
Horsepower motor and the Speed range was 690 to 2760 rpm. The Drive system is electronic operating on 208 volts. It was shipped with the
following items: Special Equipment List

Green Pilot Light - 110 Volts
Rheostat Panel
Rheostats
Solenoid

Credit the Following:
Solenoid
Green Pilot Light - 220 Volt-1
6"4-jaw Independent Chuck
5" 3-Jaw Universal Chuck
#11 Ball bearing Drill Chuck
#20 Ball Bearing Tailstock Center
Tailstock Dial Assembly

Credit the Following:
Handwheel
Tailstock Cap"

More pics and an update soon!

Moving Day!

Attachments

• 20200306_131812.jpg
    20200306_131812.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 111
The Beast has arrived!

Here are a few pics of the T&G at its new home. I managed to break the plastic panel indicator lamp during transit, so I am on the hunt for a suitable replacement. That is the good news (that I only broke something trivial, and at no point did the lathe get dropped on anyone).

Casters were welded to angle iron, and the angle iron was bolted to the casting of the base. The casters were rated for 800lbs each, and they were definitely at their limit. Raising the lathe's center of gravity a few inches, and bringing the effective base size inward by virtue of the caster spacing made for a very "tippy" adventure. We very quickly employed a 2x4 extension with a person basically hanging off it, much like hiking out a sailing crew to keep a heeling vessel from capsizing.

So, there was good news. Now for the better news. I purchased the lathe as broken, knowing that the drive system was non-operational. Well...I can't help but think that there was some human error involved on part of the previous owners that never had it running, because I hooked up the machine to power, got those thyratron tubes glowing, and boom! Not a literal boom. This one is purely figurative. The spindle started turning. Forward, reverse, and at variable speeds. Basically, it seems that all is in working order! I had a huge grin for quite some time.

Now for some elbow grease, as this thing needs a bath.

Did I mention that I had a huge grin?

I sent out some feelers for an operator's manual, but didn't receive much in the way of responses. If anyone has a digital version, please let me know! I read somewhere that there is no manual for the T&G, and that it is merely a generic Hendey manual from 20 years prior? Thanks in advance on that front.

Attachments

• 20200307_134950.jpg
    20200307_134950.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200308_200618.jpg
    20200308_200618.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200308_200606.jpg
    20200308_200606.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200308_200632.jpg
    20200308_200632.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 105
  • 20200308_200612.jpg
    20200308_200612.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 99
Niwot:

I still have a few copies of the 1940 Operator's Manual and the Repair Parts Book that were reproduced by Barber Colman. While various
drive systems were used, the basic machine remained the same. The Operator's Manual explains the basic controls and gives lubrication
information. The Parts Book, which is illustrated, lists all of the original parts but with Barber Colman numbers. If you need better
resolution to the drawings, I have the original large drawings that the Parts Book was produced from, that shows the assemblies in
greater detail. I may have a copy of the Schematic for the electrical system, I will have to check. Contact me directly at:
[email protected] for availability and prices. I have very few parts left for the T&G lathes and my goal is to have my parts
inventory gone by the end of April. Copies of part drawings and manuals will still be available after that date.

Hendeyman

Back