What's new
What's new

Hendey Tool and Gauge Makers Lathe

jdr87

Plastic
Hello,
I have an interesting story. Some years ago I purchased a Hendey tool room lathe. My cousin stored it for me in Washington state for about 7 years and finally I got a chance to go look at it and figure out how to get it home to Montana. I discovered that somewhere along the line the lathe had been dropped onto its top and I don't have the expertise to fix it. It is the Barber Coleman (later) version of the lathe and looks complete although the cross slide looks to be set up for some kind of production work. I want to sell the lathe as a parts machine. I took a few pictures but they are useless as I couldn't gain access to the front side because of the way it is stored, which by the way is inside and has been since my cousin picked it up. I know these are sought after lathes and I am hoping someone could use it for parts. Because I couldn't access the front of the cabinet I can't verify for sure that the motor and drive is all there but my guess is it is complete. I am trying to determine if there is any interest so please let me know. they have a forklift to load where it is stored. I am not sure about price, but am motivated to sell.

1. There is a "Machinery for Sale" section
2. Pictures. Without pictures it's almost a lost cause.
3. Where is it in Washington state? Might make a difference if driving to get.
4. The way you describe now, it's worth scrap price if not a little less. Somebody is taking a chance on getting it without knowing the damage. Parts are probably not available. They are only sought after if they run and are complete. You might start bidding at $1.
JR

Hello,
I have an interesting story. Some years ago I purchased a Hendey tool room lathe. My cousin stored it for me in Washington state for about 7 years and finally I got a chance to go look at it and figure out how to get it home to Montana. I discovered that somewhere along the line the lathe had been dropped onto its top and I don't have the expertise to fix it.
Taking for granted you were not on-scene to SEE that happen, the other possibility is that something was stacked or dropped ONTO the top of it, so there is not (yet) a clear picture as to what it would take to restore it.

It is the Barber Coleman (later) version of the lathe and looks complete although the cross slide looks to be set up for some kind of production work. I want to sell the lathe as a parts machine. I took a few pictures but they are useless as I couldn't gain access to the front side because of the way it is stored, which by the way is inside and has been since my cousin picked it up. I know these are sought after lathes and I am hoping someone could use it for parts. Because I couldn't access the front of the cabinet I can't verify for sure that the motor and drive is all there but my guess is it is complete. I am trying to determine if there is any interest so please let me know. they have a forklift to load where it is stored. I am not sure about price, but am motivated to sell.

If they can load it, they can move it out of the "landlocked" squeeze ,too.
And I submit you'll have to get that done and get decent photos, bare minimum.

The problem with parting-out is multi-fold:

- They came too late in history to gain any significant market-share. So there are not many folks who still HAVE one - needy or otherwise.

- They came too late in history to be all worn-out from 24 X 6 or 7 "wartime' production.

- They were well built, even if less "attractive" than the previous rounded 9" x 30" Hendey T&G.

Net-net, too few holders still HAVE one at all - let alone a worn or damaged one, ergo hardly any NEED of parts.

As a gamble on a full restoration, OTOH, a seeker would HAVE to have decent photos as a bare minimum - hands and eyes on assessment by a reasonably expert person, better-yet.

IOW the main barrier to any sort of sale is that it is "buried" and near-as-dammit impossible to assess at all.

As to what it might THEN be worth?

Well.... my average for two intact 10EE, another major 10EE part-out "collection", and one low-investment-needed Cazeneuve HBX-360-BC is around $3,500 each, FOB my shop. In one case, PO delivery included. Otherwise, transport was easily as costly as the raw lathe itself.

I'd say look for around $1,500, intact. A buyer will expect to spend easily as much on transport.

Anything less, it may as well be re-melted. You could wait multiple YEARS to sell-off pieces of it and still have to deal with the heaviest part of the stripped carcass.

Xin Loi. Can't save 'em all. Not and still eat reg'lar-like, anyway!

2CW

jdr87:

Your title describes a Tool and Gagemakers lathe, but your text mentions a Toolroom lathe, these are two different machines. You mentioned damage to the top of the lathe, but what area and what was the extent of the damage? In determining a value, it would be a big help to know what model you are talking about. Barber Colman made three Hendey designed lathes, the AHL, the BHL and the CHL, all featuring the Barber Colman/ Hendey Division name plate. They produced four lathes of their own design, the DHL, the GHL, the HHL and the THL. In 1962, they discontinued production of all lathes and shapers, regardless of whose designs they were. At that time, Barber Colman destroyed all parts and patterns for the designs that they created, except for the commonly requested repair parts. The sale of these parts was reviewed every three years and if sale were weak, they too were destroyed. The same applied to any Hendey repair parts. May I,
suggest that you post the model designation of your lathe, normally found on the plate on the back of the Headstock. With this information, I will be able to advise potential buyers of the availability of any repair parts.

Hendeyman

jdr87
I have a pair of Hendey T&Gs. If you decide to part yours out I'm looking for a few things. Mine are not BC. See attachment to see if we have the same lathes. Looking for a taper attachment, steady rest, the front controls circled if they're like either of mine. I think my lathes are 1951 and 52. Mine came with less than ideal controls and I'd like to replace the front bits just for appearance sake.
I'm casting a wide net in case someone else may have something.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1240.jpg1.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 282
Thanks everyone. Here are the best 4 images of the lathe. The damage is to the top primarily but also the chip tray. You can call me at 406-850-8417 for more info.

P1030283.jpgP1030288.jpgP1030289.jpgP1030294.jpg

That top damage does not look terribly bad to me. Broken handle and a broken belt cover. Both fairly easily restored to useable condition. Note that this machine is 220V single phase. Rare in an industrial type machine of this variety. Would make it much more desirable as a home shop machine for those who don't have 3ph service. Glad I'm not closer...

What Mike just said. This ain't no candidate for "part out" atall!

Not known the condition of ways and spindle bearings, but USN owned & GI operated, or USN owned and civilian Defense contractor operated machines are a far, far better than average gamble to have been both lightly used and properly maintained than those run ragged by some hungry commercial outfit that could not just "requisition" lubes and parts by FSN.

Barber-Coleman ownership era or no, this is the older, well-proven and more common Hendey-era basic design.

Slightly less swing than a Monarch 10EE, but... stouter D1-4 nose instead of D1-3, larger spindle thru-bore, longer 'tween centers daylight, and a very elegant threading arrangement.

Grease-lubed rather than oil-lubed spindle bearings at least meant it was harder to run them totally dry, too!

I'd quit trying to peddle it for parts, get it out and onto transport, haul that thing home and get to work!

Expect to soon be enjoying a damned fine machine-tool!

You are not REALLY all that likely to find a better one.

Bought for $9518 in 1958 = $80,618.45 in 2017.

You dont scrap such a fantastic machine for a broken handle/cover, and bent up chip tray.
Mark

Seems it's a rather complete late Barbor Colman 9x24 t&g lathe.
It is serial 75 of 87 built by BC.
This one has an autostop mechanism, which is not too commom.
I have serial 56 which is a 9x36 t&g.
Between myself and Member Browniesharp, we have a few spares left from a scrapped machine, I bought the remains of in Wisconson a few years ago. I wonder if the broken cover on this on is the same as the one we have? I also have a backgear shift lever in my stuff.

Anyway, it's way too nice to scrap!

Cheers
Peter

Between myself and Member Browniesharp, we have a few spares left from a scrapped machine, I bought the remains of in Wisconson a few years ago. I wonder if the broken cover on this on is the same as the one we have? I also have a backgear shift lever in my stuff.

Anyway, it's way too nice to scrap!

Cheers
Peter

Prospects for a full-up return to service are lookin' better by the day. That cover isn't hard to make a fix to, BTW. AFAIK, it carries no more load than the odd layer of dirt..and that ain't hard to keep "light".

:)

Again many thanks to all. I appreciate all the sound advice. Serial number is AHL40075. You have given me something to think about. At present this is how I see it. Conservatively it will cost me $1000.00 (not counting my time)to bring it home, and that's if I go get it myself. Double that at least if I have it shipped. As I remember I paid 1200 or 1300 originally for the lathe. I know it will need repair; to what extent I am not certain. So lets say for 2300.00 total I get the machine back here to Montana and discover repairs are beyond me. Then what? At the moment it makes more sense to leave it where it is and sell it. There are more potential buyers in Washington state than in Montana. Perhaps I could recoup some of my original investment, learn from my mistake of not going to get it when I bought it originally, and use the cash on something equally as good and maybe a lot closer. I am an amateur machinist at best but I have already acquired some nice machine tools including a little Monarch 60 series and a Colchester chipmaster. The chipmaster needs some work and maybe I should start there and leave the T and G for some other fortunate soul. I know they are a special lathe, and again thank you all for your posts.

I forgot to add...
I think the damage is more extensive than just the belt cover. I think the head casting as well my be damaged. I am embarrassed that I didn't do a better job of inspecting when I was there. I was so crestfallen when I discovered the damage that I guess I lost interest and just wanted to be done with the whole affair. Again live and learn

image6.jpgimage7.jpgimage8.jpg
The lathes headstock is cracked and the lathe is missing some pieces. It has a rod going from the gearbox that will kick out the feeds while threading (I'd assume) and would thread very much like a hardinge hlvh. The drive is there. My father took pictures of that so I do not have them at the moment. It goes up to 3k rpm (or so the tach says). The back gear seems to have some wear on the edge. The compound is missing a few chunks. The ways have a wear ridge. The spindle takes 2 hands to turn in neutral and has one hard spot (probably due to the cracked headstock). Tailstock has a bent handle. Taper attachment is missing pieces, and beat up a little. Sorry to come back with bad news :(

Back