Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Hendey Twin disc clutch not fully disengaging

Hello all! i'm new to machining and this is my first post so please be gentle

I got my first lathe, A grey and red 12 speed Hendey serial 36128, from HGR this past December and when I got it I really didn't know anything about it aside from that it was about the right size, all the important bits were there and it was cheap.
    unsurprisingly though, a sub $400 lathe has a few issues, mostly it seems it was run by people who didn't really care about maintaining it properly. so, for the past few months I have been pouring over post after post learning as much as I can trying to fix the various messes left behind and I am left with two things preventing me from taking my first cut:

#1: the saddle seems to have overheated, possibly from them putting grease in it, and really needs its own post
    #2: the spindle clutch

I'm not really certain whats wrong with it at this point, I tried adjusting it following Hendeymans instructions and found that even when the clutch is loose enough that I can turn the spindle and pulley in opposite directions by hand while its engaged it still won't stop creeping, I also tried adjusting the counterweight and the expandable rod (not sure what its really called) that's behind the lathe without much luck

I made this video showing how its behaving, with timestamps in the description:
    YouTube

and this is its HGR listing if you want to see pictures of the lathe itself:
    Used Hendey Lathe | HGR Industrial Surplus

I really hope I'm just missing something and that the clutch isn't trashed

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I don't have anything helpful to offer. My Hendey / twin-disc is a different model.

I think you should bite the bullet and take it apart. Maybe the bearings are siezed. Or maybe after you clean the crud out you'll be able to get it adjusted properly.

What do you mean by "the saddle seems to have overheated"?