What's new
What's new

Hendeyman - I bought another one

FrankJD

Plastic
Hello, Hendeyman!

We couldn't pass it up. For $400 it came with a steady, 3 chucks, 2 face plates, mandrels, spare motor, and about $2000 worth of other tooling. So we have 2 14" Hendey's now. This one has the four cast legs, instead of the two cabinet legs. Looks better...

Can you tell me anything about Serial # 20618

Thank you for your consideration.

FrankJD:

Hendey lathe #20618, a 14x6 Cone Head model, was built during the second week of August 1918. It was shipped with a Taper Attachment, an
Oil Pan and a set of #2 Collets. The original owner was the P.& F. Corbin Division, the American Hardware Corporation, New Britain, Conn.
There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts available for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the
files, so parts can be made if required. This lathe has a Double Walled Apron, which was first used on the 14 inch lathes in late 1914.

Hendeyman

Thank you, Mr. McDerment

Interesting how a Lathe sent to Connecticut finds it's way to Ontario, Canada.

My other Hendey is a 14" made in June of 1941 (you told me that). IT is Serial # 31603

So these may not be as similar as I thought. At a minimum, I'm hoping to be able to use the chucks and stead on both....

Frank

Bought and Hendey 14 X 6 Looking for a Manual or Information

Hello Hendeyman,
Please bear with me as I am new to Forums. I just purchased a Hendey 14X6 lathe with SN 15161 and I am trying to find out more information and where I might be able to locate a manual. There is a tag that says "From Manning, Maxwell and Moore" It also came with multiple chucks and faceplates. It also came this something I cannot identify and have included pics as well, hoping that someone can tell me what it is, at first I thought it was a milling attachement,but not now. Thank's All. 0902201237b.jpg0902201237.jpg0902201236a.jpg

Attachments

• 0902201237.jpg
    0902201237.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 147
P.& F. Corbin kind of still exists
in the name Corbin, Russel, and Irwin
or Corbin-Russwin. Now owned by Assa
Abloy and made in Monroe NC, the brand
survives as model 6200 and 3200 door
closers. Cast iron body and very compact.
We make a bunch of them every day from
raw iron castings. The old factory still
exists in Connecticut. Huge place, largely
empty, except for offices. It even has a
gigantic basement, a fallout shelter.

I own a Hendey T&G and have been to the
factory in Torrington.

---Doozer

Hello, I have another "What is it" question, With my Hendey 14*6 lathe that I recently purchased there is a chip pan that has a rod in a holder on the side of it. One end is knurled, the other has a brass round section that has a center drilled into it. Any thoughts on what this would have been used for?rod1.jpgrod3.jpgrod2.jpg

Hello, I have another "What is it" question, With my Hendey 14*6 lathe that I recently purchased there is a chip pan that has a rod in a holder on the side of it. One end is knurled, the other has a brass round section that has a center drilled into it. Any thoughts on what this would have been used for?View attachment 302354View attachment 302355View attachment 302356

It's used for knocking the collet adapter out of the spindle, by sliding the large end into the left side of the spindle.

Hello Hendeyman,
Please bear with me as I am new to Forums. I just purchased a Hendey 14X6 lathe with SN 15161 and I am trying to find out more information and where I might be able to locate a manual. There is a tag that says "From Manning, Maxwell and Moore" It also came with multiple chucks and faceplates. It also came this something I cannot identify and have included pics as well, hoping that someone can tell me what it is, at first I thought it was a milling attachement,but not now. Thank's All. View attachment 298337View attachment 298338View attachment 298340

My 1909 Hendey 16x8 also has a Maxwell Manning and Moore tag in the same location. AFAIK they were a dealer.

Abeeck:

Very little information has remained in the records concerning this lathe.

Hendey lathe No.15161, a 14 x 6, eight Speed Geared Head model, was built during the last week of January 1914. It was
shipped with a Taper Attachment. The original owner was the Frost Manufacturing Company, Kenosha, Wisconsin. This lathe
has the Single Walled Apron and the older style Gear Box, Carriage and Cross Slide. There are no longer any Patterns,
Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original drawings are still in the files, so
parts can be made if required. The 1920 Operator's Manual offered as a free download by Gregg Menke should answer most
of the questions you have concerning this lathe. I have reproduced the original Parts Book from the factory photographs,
if you would like a copy contact me directly at: [email protected]

Hendeyman

I bid on a Hendey once at a government auction... I think the bid was at 300 and my buddy kept egging me on to up my bid but I didn't and it went for 325....I told him I already had three lathes and didn't need that one. I wish I had gotten it.. Cheers; Ramsay 1:)

Back