What's new
What's new

Hendy high speed lathe

Weldyman

Plastic
Hi this is my first post I have been restoring my high speed lathe for years ready to run now but I have one question what oil should I put in the headstock bearing dippers to feed the bearings and what oils should I use in every other oil hole could somebody please help me with this thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll assume its one of these

Bul pg 1.jpgBul pg 2.jpg

ISO 10 in spindle bearings (example Mobil Velocite 6) and ISO 68 (example Mobil DTE Heavy Medium) in everything else

If not this lathe then we need photos

I'll assume its one of these

View attachment 305409View attachment 305410

ISO 10 in spindle bearings (example Mobil Velocite 6) and ISO 68 (example Mobil DTE Heavy Medium) in everything else

If not this lathe then we need photos

Very similar
012517c77496311a69d846b44d4357e3.jpg

d4863e1f03692713622bec54eaa93f3a.jpg

Fair chance member hendeyman will have dedicated pub. Here is one of his threads where he posted his email address

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...h-rahn-planekator-set-290321/?highlight=email

And if not, here is the some what related "manual" scan

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1920-Hendey-manual.pdf

I am sure by now that you have discovered this lathe has no lead screw for single pointing threads

Serial will be on top right end stamped into machined cast iron in-between two front ways adjacent fasteners for right end feed rod bracket

And if you give the serial number, found on the tailstock end of the bed between the front ways, Hendeyman can tell you when your lathe was built, who ordered it, and what specifications it had.

Weldyman:

I will post the information from the Serial Number Card and then the details from the original Order Form.

Hendey lathe No.34656, a 1 x 30 Hi-Speed Plain Turning model, was completed on March 17, 1943. It was shipped with an Oil Pan, Ball
Bearings, a set of #2 Collets and was Cone Motor Driven (CMD). The original owner was the British Ministry of War Transport, New York
City, New York. Note: Any notations in parenthesis are mine.

From the original Order Form (This lathe was one of three No.1 High Speed Lathes that were sold by the War Department to the British
Ministry of War Transport under the Lend-Lease program. The other lathes were Nos. 34653 and 34654. All
were completed on the same date.)
Date Ordered: July 18, 1942
Date Started: July 28, 1942
Sold to: War Department
Springfield Ordnance District
95 State Street
Springfield, Massachusetts
Wanted: Priority A-1-a
TA-722374
Via: GOVT. B/L (Bill of Lading)

TO BE TNSPECTED BY WAR DEPARTMENT

DESCRIPTION: #1 x 30" Hi-Speed Plain Turning Lathe CR (Compound Rest)
Oil Pan
Regular Equipment (as shown in the catalog)
Item 1-F Ball Bearings on main spindle
Item 2-F-1 Quick withdrawing compound slide in place of regular compound rest
Item 2-F-2 Spring operated tailstock spindle
Item 2-F-3 #2 lever operated drawing-in attachment complete with cabinet
Item 2-F-4 9 #2 Collets from 1/8" to 5/8" inclusive by 16ths
Furnish & Fit Cone Motor Drive
Item 2-F-5 Furnish & Fit ball bearing, dynamically balance motor,
3 HP, 420 volts, 3 phase, 50 cycles, 1500 RPM, frame 225;
together with reversing magnetic starter and push button
station
Spindle Speeds 2000 RPM

Motor Drive Parts List A12-0198, A12-0199, A12-0200.
Motor Pulley C12-4187

There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair parts left in inventory for these lathes. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required.

Hendeyman

The crossed cannons over your serial number is the US Ordinance Corp mark.

Attachments

• Ord Corp crossed cannons.jpg
    Ord Corp crossed cannons.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 31
Weldyman:

I will post the information from the Serial Number Card and then the details from the original Order Form.

Hendey lathe No.34656, a 1 x 30 Hi-Speed Plain Turning model, was completed on March 17, 1943. It was shipped with an Oil Pan, Ball
Bearings, a set of #2 Collets and was Cone Motor Driven (CMD). The original owner was the British Ministry of War Transport, New York
City, New York. Note: Any notations in parenthesis are mine.

From the original Order Form (This lathe was one of three No.1 High Speed Lathes that were sold by the War Department to the British
Ministry of War Transport under the Lend-Lease program. The other lathes were Nos. 34653 and 34654. All
were completed on the same date.)
Date Ordered: July 18, 1942
Date Started: July 28, 1942
Sold to: War Department
Springfield Ordnance District
95 State Street
Springfield, Massachusetts
Wanted: Priority A-1-a
TA-722374
Via: GOVT. B/L (Bill of Lading)

TO BE TNSPECTED BY WAR DEPARTMENT

DESCRIPTION: #1 x 30" Hi-Speed Plain Turning Lathe CR (Compound Rest)
Oil Pan
Regular Equipment (as shown in the catalog)
Item 1-F Ball Bearings on main spindle
Item 2-F-1 Quick withdrawing compound slide in place of regular compound rest
Item 2-F-2 Spring operated tailstock spindle
Item 2-F-3 #2 lever operated drawing-in attachment complete with cabinet
Item 2-F-4 9 #2 Collets from 1/8" to 5/8" inclusive by 16ths
Furnish & Fit Cone Motor Drive
Item 2-F-5 Furnish & Fit ball bearing, dynamically balance motor,
3 HP, 420 volts, 3 phase, 50 cycles, 1500 RPM, frame 225;
together with reversing magnetic starter and push button
station
Spindle Speeds 2000 RPM

Motor Drive Parts List A12-0198, A12-0199, A12-0200.
Motor Pulley C12-4187

There are very few Patterns, Castings or Repair parts left in inventory for these lathes. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required.

Hendeyman

Can anybody help me with the last problem with the lathe I have centred the tail stock side to side it within a thou but it too high by 1/8 of an inch how do I adjust the hight

Too high by 1/8"!?

Check between the base and the body for shims. If none, then the tailstock came from a different machine, maybe even a different model. It would need to be machined / scraped to fit your machine.

No adjustment provided - someone either has replaced TS with one too tall or some other even more unlikely fooling around - possibly like gluing too thick turcite strips on the bottom

Fixing it will require removal of bottom section and machining its upper surface until exactly tall enough. This is more or less a waste of time until TS base is known to be a perfect fit on bed ways

Here is a photo of a different lathe. When you look at yours from that angle, does your tail stock look that small and slim?

shop pics 07_0130.jpg

Another check.... Specs above say TS barrel / ram / spindle is said to be 1 21/32 (1.65625") - is yours that diameter?

Yet another check... is head stock still 12 5/8" swing? Should be 6 5/16" from center of chuck to nearest obstruction - like the rear most front way

Can anybody help me with the last problem with the lathe I have centred the tail stock side to side it within a thou but it too high by 1/8 of an inch how do I adjust the hight

According to Hendeyman, this lathe was equipped with a tailstock having a apring-operated spindle (item 2-F-2). I don't think I have ever seen one and I don't know if the tailstock body would look much different from the regular tailstock. Although it could be compatible with having a wheel and leadscrew, I would expect seeing a lever or capstan used to retract the tailstock spindle, like you see on cylindrical grinders.
If the tailstock is a regular one, chances are pretty high that it has been replaced.
The good news is that it is always better to correct something by removing material than by adding it. And this could be a good chance for correcting any possible forward slope caused by uneven wear in the tailstock base.

Paolo

Well I had to do something about the tailstock so completely stripped down and cleaned and polished every surface that could cause the problem rebuilt very carefully and oiled all surfaces and refitted checked hight again and drescrepency was down by half so while it was locked into position got a set of feeler guage and checked if their was any gaps anywhere found that the front of the locking mechanism under the tailstock that clamps it to the bed had a 25 thou gap so adjusted it and now when clamped it is only a thou out I'm very happy with the end result thank you all of you for your fantastic advice

Paolo_MD:

As an addendum to your observation about the tailstock on the No.1 High Speed lathe, it was the only lathe, to the best of my knowledge, that was sold WITHOUT a tailstock. That was because, with its built-in Collet Closer, it was primarily designed for high speed collet work. Tailstocks were offered as an option, either standard style or Spring-Loaded style. The one in the picture is a Spring-Loaded model, but missing the operating handle. By the end of 1939, the cost of a standard tailstock was $100 and the Spring-loaded model was $155. When the operating handle was pushed, the tailstock spindle would retract about 1/4" and then return to its
original position when released. Regardless of which tailstock was used, the handwheel would operate the spindle in the regular way.
The lathe was designed to use No. 2 Collets.

Hendeyman

By any chance does anybody have a wiring diagram for this lathe please

Back