What's new
What's new

Hendy Lathe Information

Blough

Aluminum
I am picking up this lathe today, looks to be in decent condition other than the surface rust from being stored in a barn unused for the last two decades. The son inherited it and I was lucky enough to stumble upon it and save it from the scrap yard.

I do not have a serial number yet, but once I get it unloaded I will update.

Here are the original pictures the owner sent me, any thoughts or info on it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 267
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 352
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Photos too small to tell much other than its a tie bar cone head with some apparent funny biz near where QC gear box would be

COULD BE THE #1 High Speed with those huge spindle bearing mounts - thumbnail illustrates - if a #1, it will be a TURNING lathe - no lead screw or single point threading capabilities

Manual scan - thanks to Greg Menke for hosting

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1920-Hendey-manual.pdf

My old write up on their lead screw reverse / threading system starts at post #17 in the linked thread (which of course does not apply to #1 High Speed)

Hendey lathe "emergency"!

Attachments

• shop pics 07_0124.jpg
    shop pics 07_0124.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 464
Thank you for the info! I adjusted the pictures to be larger, I didn't realize they were opening so small.

I will say that when I went and looked at it there were a lot of additional shields/pieces that I am assuming were from the customer's shop, like a cage like guard around the motor's belts and pulleys. I am not sure if this was supplied by Hendey or made in the shop to adapt to developing OSHA regulations over the years.

Hopefully those super precision angular contact ball bearings for the spindle are okay

Small fortune to replace them

Here are the related Bulletin scans

Attachments

• Bul pg 4.jpg
    Bul pg 4.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 89
  • Bul pg 3.jpg
    Bul pg 3.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Bul pg 2.jpg
    Bul pg 2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 186
  • Bul pg 1.jpg
    Bul pg 1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 118
I think, as usual, Mr. Oder is right about the High Speed No. 1. No half nut lever and no threads on the lead screw. From post no. 16 in this thread (https://www.practicalmachinist.com/.../super-rare-hendey-1-high-speed-lathe-327995/) it looks like a rare beast.

Looks like a fun project. Now you'll have to keep your eye out for a regular Hendey to go with it. For some reason all old machines like company, the more the merrier.

Craig

Well I got it unloaded, serial number 27790

Attachments

• Unrigging Picture #5.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #5.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Unrigging Picture #4.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #4.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Unrigging Picture #3.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 128
  • Unrigging Picture #2.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 156
  • Unrigging Picture #1.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Second set of pictures..

Attachments

• Unrigging Picture #10.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #10.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Unrigging Picture #9.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #9.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Unrigging Picture #8.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #8.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 117
  • Unrigging Picture #7.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #7.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Unrigging Picture #6.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #6.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 114
Third set of pictures..

Attachments

• Unrigging Picture #11.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #11.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Unrigging Picture #12.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #12.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Unrigging Picture #13.jpg
    Unrigging Picture #13.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 110
Blough:

A very interesting find. As I have mentioned on previous posts regarding the No.1 High Speed Lathe, it was introduced to the Dealers on
May 29, 1931 by Hendey Vice President S.H. Childs (later convicted of embezzling from Hendey). It was an attempt to jump start business
with several new products, but 1931, 1932 and 1933 were very lean years at Hendey. The total number of lathes produced during each of
those years was 71, 9 and 17 respectively. The first No.1 High Speed lathe was sold on March 29, 1933, two years after the introduction.
Hendey had a policy of making the prototype and using it in the factory for about a year, prior to actual manufacturing, to correct any
problems. In 1929, W.P. Norton and Constant Bouillon decided to experiment with a lathe capable of using the new High Speed Steels. A
standard 12x5 Cone Head was redesigned and the new lathe was completed during the first week of September 1929. After the normal "debug-
ging" period it was shown at the Cleveland Machinery Show in 1930 to very favorable reviews. The General Electric Company was impressed
enough with it that they bought the lathe and a set of No.2 collects. G.E. wanted even finer feeds than were standard, so a special chart
featuring feeds as fine as 3700 threads per inch were supplied to the company (chart No. A12-678). It would be another three years before
another High Speed Lathe was sold. You will notice that I didn't refer to the prototype as a No.1 High Speed Lathe because it was known
as a 12x5 High Speed Lathe in the Hendey records. One more thing, the Serial Number of the prototype was 27790. When you get a chance, scrape the grease off of the bed under the chuck, you should find the 12x5 cast into the bed.

The picture of the Gear Box shows that is most likely set for a feed of .00182 per inch or 548 threads per inch. Since I can't determine
with any accuracy the exact tooth count of the "A" and "C" gears and assuming that the "B" gear is also a 120T, it is only an educated
guess.

Also note the built-in, lever operated, Collet Closer. A few extra parts are required to be able use it, but it is much more convenient
than the Handwheel operated Draw-in Attachment.

Hendeyman

Blough:

When you get a chance, scrape the grease off of the bed under the chuck, you should find the 12x5 cast into the bed.

Hendeyman

Right where you said it was!
So this lathe was a prototype? And was this exact one the one they showcased? If so Id be interested in restoring it to its showcase look. Any info on the color it was painted?

Unrigging Picture #14.jpg

Wow! It's the Prototype !!!

Hendeyman wrote: " One more thing, the Serial Number of the prototype was 27790. "

Photo 3 in Blough's Post #8 clearly shows S/N 27790 on the bed !!!

It's the prototype! In the flesh ! If it could only talk to tell us about its journey from GE to the barn !

Wow! What are the odds that the prototype High Speed Lathe would not only survive, but would surface on the world's foremost antique machine tool forum ?

John Ruth

Last edited:
I really never would have imagined I got the original prototype! And the bearings still turn smoothly!
Im almost afraid to attempt to restore it just from the thought of messing up anything original:willy_nilly: Especially since I have never restored a Hendey before, Might need to start a rebuild thread to keep constructive criticism going and get some pier reviews on each of my planed actions throughout the restoration. I know a few items must be missing like the rear cover on collet closing mechanism, then replaced with a top-of-the-line sheet metal cover (Ref. Post #6 Pic 1)

Please do start a rebuild thread, there are lots of folks who would like follow along. There are also members here with loads of experience who will be able to give you all the help you'll need.

Good luck and good save.

Craig

Blough:

I cant't say with absolute certainty that your lathe was the 1930 Show model, but considering that the lathe shown in Mr. Childs 1931
press release is slightly different from your lathe, it is a pretty good chance that your lathe is the Show model. Your lathe uses a knurled style Clutch knob and the 1931 model uses the "Star" style Clutch knob. The Star type knob was used through most of the production years, check out John Oder's picture of my No.1 High Speed, in post #2, built during the War. For a period of about three years, The No.1 High Speed was equipped with the Lever type Clutch handle and then reverted back to the Star style knob. The Brochure
that John Oder posted in post #4, shows the Lever type handle. While this Brochure was print on June 30, 1938, it uses a picture from an
earlier Brochure from 1935-36.

Since I don't have a picture from the 1930 Machinery Show, I can only tell you that the paint in the 1931 Sales Pictures appears to be a
Dark Grey, the main color that Hendey was using at the time. One more point of interest, the lathe bed in the 1931 pictures shows the
12x5 bed designation. Hendey hadn't started the new center distance system yet and was still using up old inventory. Also, the No.1
High Speed was NOT sold with a Tailstock, that was at extra cost, your choice of two styles.

Hendeyman

I will note that there is almost a mint green color paint under the light gray flaking off now. but those seem to be the only two coats on it. It kind of makes sense if this was the show model. I live in Ohio's Akron Canton area along with the gentleman I purchased this off. Who said his father serviced machinery like this and purchased this from one of his better clients though his son couldn't recall the name of the client. Possible General Electric (Which is funny because the son mentioned he is an electrician)

Vista Green ? Institutional Green ?

Blough,

You wrote: "I will note that there is almost a mint green color paint under the light gray flaking off now. but those seem to be the only two coats on it."

One of the early outcomes of "human factors research" was that certain colors are less fatiguing than others. Light greens are favored as low-eye-fatigue colors.

There was one color in particular, IIRC named Vista Green, which became favored for machine tools. I just did an internet search, and it seems that there are now many shades which are marketed as "Vista Green" - but certainly if you can get some clean paint chips off the lathe, then you can match the color. High-solids oil base enamel, if you wish to brush it on.

<On Edit:> It might be "Institutional Green" <Off Edit:>

I've seen dozens of old machines which were painted this same light green with bright red handles. One long-ago vendor's plant had all the machines in this scheme. Looks a bit gaudy, but if it prevents eye fatigue, so much the better.

I'm NOT CONFIDENT that I have the correct color name. The on-line samples don't look "minty" enough. My hope is that some other members with more knowledge about colors will correct the name if I have it wrong, and maybe post pointers to where it can be seen. Formulas for mixing the color would always be nice.

John Ruth

Last edited:
That's a really cool find!

In regards to restoring it: You may consider starting with a "mild" restoration. Take it apart, remove all the rust grease and old paint. Polish it up and give it a good coat of paint, then put it together and see how well it runs. I wouldn't go for the full rebuild trying to get the ways re-scraped unless you have the time and space to commit to doing it right. I only say this because it may not be that bad of a machine and the wear can kind of add to it's story as long as it's complete and functional.

That's a really cool find!

In regards to restoring it: You may consider starting with a "mild" restoration. Take it apart, remove all the rust grease and old paint. Polish it up and give it a good coat of paint,

Paint, schmaint. That ain't a restoration. Lipstick on a Pig, even if it is a "very special pig" you would not want to eat all at once!

:)

If paint made a(ny) Machine-Tool make better parts, George Barris, if not Rembrandt cudda put mankind on Mars ages ago..

Get the ways clean, all crud and crap out from in and under all the sliding surfaces, renew the way-wipers and get ALL the lubricants seen-to. Clean and check the electricals.

Then "see what you have" as to wear or damage before taking anything apart that does not NEED to come apart for a specific repair action.

Back