What's new
What's new

...Photo...Machine Shop Class...University of Wisconsin...1939...

lathefan

Titanium
...Sophomore students in the machine shop...

...Left to right: Howard Rathlesberger, Charles Finney, Robert Maidl, Robert Tylee, and Phillip Nelson...

...click photo for full size...

Must be staged as there are many long sleeves touching the chuck. Turn that on and many would suffer. :D
At least a couple had them rolled up.

The one guy seems to have his hand on the shipper, not a great idea with folks draped over the headstock there.

This machine and many others like were in the Mechanical Engineering machine shop on the Madison campus up until about 5 years ago. The University auctioned them off when they upgraded to CNC machines. I looked at several of them and they all looked like they were new out of the box.

By in large they went for peanuts. Unfortunately I was out of town when they went up for sale. I would have bid on several, but they had to be removed within 5 days of the close of the auction. Somebody got excellent machines for less than scrap prices.

Lathe is one of the smaller Greaves Klusman cone heads - see tail stock with its paired quill/ram binders - patented in 1910

Patent US95684 - Tail-stock. - Google Patents

(for the safety comments, possibly it won't "go" until he moves the lever down by his knee - even if the cone was going - the double back gears - and thus spindle - could be started - stopped - changed on the fly)

This machine and many others like were in the Mechanical Engineering machine shop on the Madison campus up until about 5 years ago. The University auctioned them off when they upgraded to CNC machines. I looked at several of them and they all looked like they were new out of the box.

By in large they went for peanuts. Unfortunately I was out of town when they went up for sale. I would have bid on several, but they had to be removed within 5 days of the close of the auction. Somebody got excellent machines for less than scrap prices.

I was one that got a mill a couple years ago from UW Madison. War surplus, Navy. Very good condition and well tooled. Paid ~700 for a #2 B&S Light.
Joe

...Sophomore students in the machine shop...

...Left to right: Howard Rathlesberger, Charles Finney, Robert Maidl, Robert Tylee, and Phillip Nelson...

...click photo for full size...

That has to be the Howard Rathlesberger I met in the 1990's at a machine tool show in the San Jose area. At the time Mr. Rathlesberger was involved in distributing the Emco line of machine tools. I visited him a couple of times at his home in Woodside. He had an Emco 11 inch Maximat in his home shop as well as a nifty late 19th-early 20th century 10 inch Pratt & Whitney toolroom lathe. He had a great collection of 8 X 10 glossy black and white photographs from when he worked at Kearney & Trecker and he kindly gave me copies of literature he had on the Model 2D Rotary Head milling machine.

David

David beat me to it. Howard Rathlesberger was a long time member of West Valley Live Steamers where I met him. In addition to the Emco Maier line he represented and sold Monarch lathes and other machine tool manufacturers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

David beat me to it. Howard Rathlesberger was a long time member of West Valley Live Steamers where I met him. In addition to the Emco Maier line he represented and sold Monarch lathes and other machine tool manufacturers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thank you for this additional information, I was thinking that he was also associated with Monarch but wasn't sure I was remembering correctly. I lost touch with Howard, well I'm afraid I just didn't keep up with him. I think the last time I saw him was quite a number of years ago when he came to an open house at Knight Foundry here. I'm guessing he's no longer living, if he is, he'd be in his late 90's.
David

Lindbergh was ejected from UW because of poor academics. The dean wrote his mother a letter stating
that "Carl (sic) would probably be better off in some less challenging setting."

I think she probably kept that letter till the day she died.

Back